Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Boxster S Front bumper cover options need advice

Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 AM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster S Front bumper cover options need advice

Yesterday I am at Walmart and as usual I park WAY in the back parking lot away from almost all cars. As luck would have it I walk outside just in time to see someone in a Ford Escape back into the front of my car. THERE WERE NO OTHER CARS WITHIN 20 PARKING SPACES!!! Anyway I have light damage to the bumper cover and the headlight assembly around the headlight washer is cracked. Their insurance company has given me the option of getting the car fixed at a shop of my choice, or getting an estimate from Progressive and getting a check. So I was thinking depending on how much I get if anyone could recommend any cool bumper replacement options. Please let me know whats out there.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm probably in the minority but the best looking bumper cover is the stock/factory one.

My advise to the owner of a damaged car is to have the car repaired to its pre-collision condition. Do not combine accident damage repair with modifications.

Anyhow, get the factory bumper cover and new headlight and any other damage taken care of and be sure the car is as close to its pre-collision condition as humanly possible.

Then after all the dust has settled, the turmoil is over with, then start thinking about a different bumper cover if you want.

Most of the ones I see make me think of a fish with the mouth of a shark with the tail of a guppy. The front and rear of the car become quite different and at odds with each other.

Makes the car look ugly to put it bluntly.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:03 PM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Anybody else?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I 'd look into the later '03/'04 bumper- Still OEM but gives you the updated look... Which I think is MUCH better asthetically.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

+1 for stock
Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 AM
scmountain
1st Gear

personally I am not a fan of the stock bumper cover as it makes our P cars look like Miatas...
I went with the GT3Tek "996 GT3 RS" it really made the car look MUCH better in the front, not a huge fan of the middle vents, but ill take anything over the miata nose...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM
EJ_2001_986_S
4th Gear

I had something similar happen to me and I found a techequipment optional bumper that gives the 986 the GT3 look. It was a Porsche option that could have been ordered with the car from the factory. I think it looks fantastic, but I did add the side skirts at the same time.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the exact same incident. Second time when the car was parked and someone dinged it.

I went with a check after an estimate by the body shop of my choice with the check being sent to me and not the body shop. This is BY FAR your best option as they pay for new parts at dealer prices.

I would recommend the GT3 factory bumper. Try to find one online even if you have to pay for the shipping. The GT3 factory bumper is for the 1999-2001 Carrera but since its the identical front end as the 1997-2004 Boxster it will bolt right into place. The factory bumper is made of very durable polyurethane. I will be having mine repainted for the fourth time and the plastic is still solid. All it needs is one new coat of paint.

Here is the factory GT3 bumper with factory side skirts on the 18" Turbo Twist wheels. The second pic below is an actual GT3 Carrera.
As you can see the car is identical from the front doors forward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster S Front bumper cover options need advice