Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

defroster hook-up as auxiliary power outlet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM
ack4007
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defroster hook-up as auxiliary power outlet?

Here's an electrical challenge for the many experts running around this forum.
I'd like to take advantage of my '02 S's defroster switch and cabling to power a clandestine radar detector. Having it hidden is paramount and it seems to work well enough hiding in the storage compartment behind the seats. The defroster outlet is tantalizingly close by and has its own easily accessible switch on the dash for emergency shut down.

The problem is with the relay. It runs the heated mirrors (which I could forego) and shuts off the circuit after 15 minute - faster if it's a warm day. I have experimented with jamming the switch in the on position, which works well enough, but the power goes off and on again in a 5 minute cycle.

I also brazenly tried standard relays in the slot with no luck. I have successfully implemented the fog light and power top hacks both which modify relays. Those hacks were so easy and elegant that there has to be a way to get the defroster outlet to consistently supply power.

I am just not electrically savvy enough to know how to hack the such a complicated relay. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: defroster hook-up as auxiliary power outlet?