Sponsored by:

power steering woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Junkie
Right, because CHF seems to have served you so well.

Kind of tastes like Lime Kool-Aid, I'd imagine.

Meanwhile, I'm at 6000 miles, 6 months on Mercedes' PSF, err...ATF+4, and it's quiet and smooth like butter.

Macster, I thought PS systems never fail? That's what you posted in my thread. Maybe take a minute to go back and correct yourself...?
So, you equate 6K miles on ATF+4 fluid with your Boxster as proof positive the power fluid change over is working just fine? And would work just fine over a much larger population of vehicles?

Your lack of science and engineering test discipline is amazing.

I never said power steering systems never failed. I said they fail very seldom.

In the case of the OP there is no evidence the fluid was at fault.

What you would have everyone do is change to a thicker fluid of a different composition for some imagined short coming with the approved fluid.

I might point out that the fluid you are recommending is of a higher viscosity. This can only work to raise the operating temperature of the fluid which can lead to the failure you seem to so sure a fluid switch over would prevent.

It also puts more strain on the pump. My best info is the operating pressure is around 1000psi. That's a lot of pressure and who knows how much extra strain on the power steering pump and the rest of the system pumping this heavier fluid about would cause?

But you go right on making a recommendation for which you are not qualified to make. I believe the people who visit here are not so naive as to take what you have to say about power steering fluid seriously.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Macster
So, you equate 6K miles on ATF+4 fluid with your Boxster as proof positive the power fluid change over is working just fine? And would work just fine over a much larger population of vehicles?

Your lack of science and engineering test discipline is amazing.

I never said power steering systems never failed. I said they fail very seldom.

In the case of the OP there is no evidence the fluid was at fault.

What you would have everyone do is change to a thicker fluid of a different composition for some imagined short coming with the approved fluid.

I might point out that the fluid you are recommending is of a higher viscosity. This can only work to raise the operating temperature of the fluid which can lead to the failure you seem to so sure a fluid switch over would prevent.

It also puts more strain on the pump. My best info is the operating pressure is around 1000psi. That's a lot of pressure and who knows how much extra strain on the power steering pump and the rest of the system pumping this heavier fluid about would cause?

But you go right on making a recommendation for which you are not qualified to make. I believe the people who visit here are not so naive as to take what you have to say about power steering fluid seriously.

Lots of theory, zero practice....Macster
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

And 6K miles on your Boxster with ATF is qualifies you as an expert? That's a good one. Based on that if you can figure out how to open a child proof medicine bottle you're ready to work as a brain surgeon.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi,
My 540i and my 2 944 series cars before used ATF. That doesn't mean the systems are the same. Different pumps, different tolerances, different systems. If the system is designed to run a different fluid, it's so. I seriously doubt they said "oh let's switch to a thinner fluid for ****s and grins. It'll cause problems when it gets hot, but no biggie."

It says CHF-11s on the cap for a reason, like my 540i says ATF only on its cap for a reason. Quit trolling. You are not the boxster messiah
Old 05-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Yawn.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 AM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Audi,
My 540i and my 2 944 series cars before used ATF. That doesn't mean the systems are the same. Different pumps, different tolerances, different systems. If the system is designed to run a different fluid, it's so. I seriously doubt they said "oh let's switch to a thinner fluid for ****s and grins. It'll cause problems when it gets hot, but no biggie."

It says CHF-11s on the cap for a reason, like my 540i says ATF only on its cap for a reason.

Is that maybe because CHF-11S wasn't on the market yet?

Today's ATFs have more in common with Pentosin, than with old ATFs, but I wouldn't expect you to know that.

You can babblepost thousands of times over, but you are here, far beyond your knowledge base. Give it up guys, and seriously...why do you post on fluid threads anyway? Macster got burned on the Porsche Coolant thread, got burned on the ATF thread, as well as oil threads, and now want to take a hit on a PSF thread???

Why..?

What's next, Porsche Brake Fluid, lol.

Last edited by Audi Junkie; 05-10-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Keep smoking that crack there, junkie. Don't recall ever arguing for porsche coolant or brake fluid.

Once again, if its no big deal to switch, why did they? Its not because there was a new fluid and they felt the need to change.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Bro, dumb arguments are dumb.

You seem all butthurt, considering you have nothing to offer to the discussion....other than reciting the label on your reservior cap, lol.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Still running strong on ATF+4

Swapped my 30k Q5 to it, as well as an old Volvo V70 I bought for my mother-in-law.

I've settled on just using the turkey-baster technique. Sure, I'm a purist and would like to do a proper exchange, but it's not always advisable.

Anyway, any doubters can take notice, ATF+4 IS THE WAY TO GO.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Audi Junkie
Is that maybe because CHF-11S wasn't on the market yet?

Today's ATFs have more in common with Pentosin, than with old ATFs, but I wouldn't expect you to know that.

You can babblepost thousands of times over, but you are here, far beyond your knowledge base. Give it up guys, and seriously...why do you post on fluid threads anyway? Macster got burned on the Porsche Coolant thread, got burned on the ATF thread, as well as oil threads, and now want to take a hit on a PSF thread???

Why..?

What's next, Porsche Brake Fluid, lol.
Wait I missed this? Got burned how?

All that happens is I get shouted down and personally attacked when I offer advice to stick with the fluids Porsche recommends.

Shade tree mechanics offering up their fluid du jour based on tea leave reading or star chart consultation is not the basis for sound automobile fluid selection.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Yeah, that's exactly what it is.

lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Here ya go. Go play with this. Adults are talking
Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Nah, obviously, the "adults" have nothing to say...and are out of ideas.

Too bad it's such a pathetic landscape here for normal members who just want to get tweeks for their car, just a bunch of old sycophants reciting the owner's manual to one another.

Your posts reek of stupidity and mindlessness...

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Audi,

It says CHF-11s on the cap for a reason, like my 540i says ATF only on its cap for a reason. Quit trolling. You are not the boxster messiah
It says so..."for a reason", but you have no idea what "the reason" is. With failed systems all around you, still clueless....maybe "the reason" is parts revenue for Porsche! Maybe CHF is fine in cooler climates, but the big maybe is that Mercedes' simply has a better solution! iirc, BMW switched back, AWAY from CHF...I guess now they need to change the old reservior caps to say "oops".

The funniest quote is you saying "different tolerances"! Do you even know what "tolerances" means? Obviously you don't, making it obvious you have no fundamental engineering background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_tolerance
Dimensions, properties, or conditions may vary within certain practical limits without significantly affecting functioning of equipment or a process. Tolerances are specified to allow reasonable leeway for imperfections and inherent variability without compromising performance.

lol, is that what you meant, allowable leeway in manufacturing process? omfg, this forum is SO lucky to have (tolerate) you!!! Wait, there's another...."the system is designed for specific fluids". Is that just like the engine, which can only run on specific fluids? The oil HAS to be just a single specific viscosity, right?

This is despite the oil actually goes thru a massive RANGE of viscs as it heats, and that RANGE overlaps 95% with OTHER oils, producing identical viscs for the engine. duh, it's the same with PSF...

umm, duh...which fluid will protect better in an overly hot environment???? Take your time, it's a biggie.

Nice job doing your best DISSERVICE to the other members. Don't pretend you know something that you don't...even though your whole clown character is based on it.

I don't give this award out very often, but you've earned it!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Old 06-03-2014, 02:40 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of interesting info/data there, maybe if you delivered it in a less obnoxious way there could be some discussion instead of whatever this has been. So, are you saying ATF is better because it stays more viscous at higher temps, or is it something else about it that is good for PS?

BTW I think most people here like that this site is not more like the Vortex. That can be a useful site but there's a lot of attitude that makes it hard to get useful info sometimes.

Quick Reply: power steering woes