Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It must be my transmission mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It must be my transmission mounts?

I can only assume it isn't my motor mount because vibration isn't really an issue with my. If I don't shift it smoothly enough I get this clunk! For instance if I left of the gas all of a sudden, etc..etc. so before I get down and look it sounds like the transmission mounts, yes? Keep in mind the car has 127 thousand miles on her.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Po924S
I can only assume it isn't my motor mount because vibration isn't really an issue with my. If I don't shift it smoothly enough I get this clunk! For instance if I left of the gas all of a sudden, etc..etc. so before I get down and look it sounds like the transmission mounts, yes? Keep in mind the car has 127 thousand miles on her.
I feel like I'm coming in the middle of a conversation but the symptoms do not sound like a transmission mount, even a motor mount, but a dual mass flywheel that has had the dual mass feature fail.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the motor mount is more likely to wear/fail than the trans mounts.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macster
I feel like I'm coming in the middle of a conversation but the symptoms do not sound like a transmission mount, even a motor mount, but a dual mass flywheel that has had the dual mass feature fail.

Hmm, I will have to look into that. Sounds terribly expensive!

Originally Posted by TroyN
I think the motor mount is more likely to wear/fail than the trans mounts.
This is my hope. Hopefully I will be able to get a closer look this weekend. I researched it and my only issue is that clunk noise when I don't shift smoothley. No vibration problems at any speed, or idle...etc.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Po924S
Hmm, I will have to look into that. Sounds terribly expensive!

This is my hope. Hopefully I will be able to get a closer look this weekend. I researched it and my only issue is that clunk noise when I don't shift smoothley. No vibration problems at any speed, or idle...etc.
In my 02 Boxster an engine mount was found to be cracked (the rubber portion not the alum. casting into which the rubber was bonded) and replaced.

It was news to me it was cracked for I had no sign anything was amiss.

After it was replaced I had no sign of any improvement.

If you are not smooth with the shifting, clutch engagement there can be some clunking arising from the normal driveline play/slack being taken up.

IOWs, the noise/clunking you hear/experience may be normal.

Concentrate on smoothing up your clutch work.

If smoother clutch work doesn't have the clunking absent then the dual mass flywheel becomes a more likely scenario.

You can also just take the car in and bring this to a tech's attention. I'm sure he's encountered enough bad dual mass flywheels in his time to make a diagnosis.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Turned out it was the motor mount. $540 for everything including tighting all of my cv boot bolts back (said they where loose?). The bolt thing...eh I could had done myself maybe, but I think I will let a professional repair anything engine related
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Motor mount it is then. Glad to read you got it resolved.

Quick Reply: It must be my transmission mounts?