Sponsored by:

Dreaded Boxster S oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
... Haven't decided whether I want to attempt to DIY this or throw a few grand at a shop. Before I spend a great deal of money/effort on this, is this classic RMS failure or are there other potential causes? ...
Looks like you have a RMS leak. Starting to get pretty bad at this point it seems.

Not really a DIY job without the RMS install tool available to you. The new updated seal MUST be installed with the tool. You can't be successful without it.

Your leak looks like it's getting bad enough to possibly effect clutch operation. I wouldn't go to far from home like that.

GL
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Except that it's a tip....
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Good news that your filter was clean! Might as well change the oil & have your Camshaft timing deviation tested to help establish the condition of the IMSB, then clean the engine as best you can to monitor leaking.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The RMS leaking id almost a non-issue

Its just a leaky seal - it does not indicate any wear other than the seal.

You understand what the RMS is right - a rubber/silicone ring that keeps (or doesnt) oil from seeping past the bushing where the crankshaft protrudes through the block to attach to the transmission. That's it. End.

Typically it only leaks a small amount of oil. I'll be stunned if yours is leaking a quart+ as you claim.

The only issues with a leaky IMS is getting oil ont he dual-mass flywheel. I dont believe you even have one with your tip. Or , of course, running low on oil which you've already done - btu that's a shame on you.

The IMS on the other hand, is a whole differet ball of wax. There the issue is rarely a leak, but a deterioration of the sealed bearing and that failure, like most bearings, accelerates so it can go from Ok to dead relatively quickly.

Grant

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Is the RMS leaking really that little of a deal that I can drive indefinitely on it, just topping off the oil? I know it isn't an immediate-emergency, but still...

Honestly, now is the best time this could happen, as I can more easily part with my car for 2 weeks than at any other point in the year. Just hope the shops are open over christmas...
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RMS can be a big deal in that this may not be the last time you have to address it. Its a known issue with some cars requiring multiple replacements. Though I'm not sure if that's that always been the case using the Cayenne seal instead.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car's had it done twice... so far this one is dry.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just because you do a fiarly meaningless repair twice...

does not make it any less meaningless. All know: unless you leak enough to harm the flywheel/clutch, or are losing oil at an alarming rate, it is only messy. Nothing more. Call it what you will, but the big downside is a drop on your floor.

I'm not disagreeing with your point - that it can be a PITA and a repeat offender. But i want to make sure people understand than 90%+ of the time its likely fine to simply let it leak. no major mechanical harm will occur as a result.

yea, its well known. Yea, people make a big deal out of it. No, that doesn't make it important. I've seen dozens of people confusing IMS with RMS. Two letters the same, how different can they be? (A: One blows up your motor, one deposits drops on your floor.)

Relax.

Grant

Originally Posted by perfectlap
RMS can be a big deal in that this may not be the last time you have to address it. Its a known issue with some cars requiring multiple replacements. Though I'm not sure if that's that always been the case using the Cayenne seal instead.

Last edited by gfl; 12-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Boxster S oil leak