Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak?

Hey Guys,

I have a leak under my car that is about 3 inches away from the back, right tire. It is a 1999 Porsche Boxster.

I've attached some images. Any idea what it is? Fairly certain it's not oil. I've read that it could be a coolant leak. Maybe a coolant cap issue?

It's not continuous; has happened twice in the last couple of weeks where it makes a big spill like the picture there.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images      
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very hard to see the pics. By the tires suggests it could be coolant dripping from the block/heads; or brake fluid. What is the color and consistency? You should be able to narrow it down by inpection.

Grant
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

The color is almost clear but maybe a hint of grey. At first I thought it was water but it takes a fees days to soak into the cement, so I'm not sure. Does that help? Going to put some cardboard under it to get a better idea.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Check the coolant level.

If it is ok check the other vital fluids. Brake, clutch fluid levels. Power steering fluid level.

Last check the water drains on either side of the top -- under the clam shell -- for blockage and water acumulation.

Coolant tank caps generally do not leak that bad. They allow vapor to escape and over time -- approx. several weeks or more depending -- the tank's level can drop from max to min or lower to the point the low coolant warning light appears.

The coolant tank can leak and leak very bad. My only experience is when my 02 Boxster's tank split and gushed coolant out but it was ahead of the right rear tire not behind it. Water pump leaks forward of the rear tires and more center.

No coolant hoses back that far except those that connect to the coolant tank. So there's a hose possibility or the tank cracked at one of the hose connectors.

Thus in your car's case it may be the tank failed in a different location.

\Anyhow, if the coolant original it could be "grey" from the load of alum. oxide it has collected over the years and the degradation the anti-freeze has experienced.

Get some on your fingers. Anti-freeze has a distinct smell and is slick/slippery and yet has an oily feel though if it is really old this may not true any longer. It has sweet taste if you're feeling like a chemist. Of course you do not swallow, just taste, rinse and spit. Gee that reads kind of nasty...

See if the stuff on your fingers dissolves in water. So does power steering fluid and brake/clutch fluid. But not of course engine oil or tranny/diff fluids. Looks to thin to be these though.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
gfl
Racer

Default All good advice, but it also may be simpler to..

...simply follow the leak - jack the car up, look up over the puddle, and find something damp. follow the evidence to its source.

I do agree that you should be able to discern what kind of fluid it is by rubbing it on your fingers - but if you don't really know the difference between coolant, brake fluid, motor oil, etc - this is hard to describe.

Water is not slippery. Ethylene Glycol is about the same viscosity, but is slippery and can smell sweet (dont taste!). Brake fluid is light and thick. Motor oil dark and thick.

Grant
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Ok thanks for all of the help guys. I'll have a better idea tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

If its a triptronic you have a transmission cooler with coolant in it, possible hose rupture, If it were a coolant tank then the carpet in your trunk would be soaked. the caps have been known to fail, see if you part number on the coolant tank cap end in 04, if not replace it anyway there has been an upgrade for that and lasts but not least it could be your vent cap, very difficulst to confirm but the internal rubber seal deteriates and the coolent leaks out.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

I had it looked at. Apparently nothing too serious. When I had the IMS bearing done at a different mechanic, I guess he topped up all the fluids including the coolant. Mine was just overfilled and is dumping sporadically as air pockets move through.

Even after losing all of this coolant (couple of decent spills) I'm still at normal level, so it appears that was what's wrong.

There is no issues with the container, trunk isn't soaked and inspecting under the car showed no holes in anything. I was told that when it is overfilled, it will dump coolant in that area by the back right tire.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak?