Sponsored by:

Flushed my power steering w/ATF+4 today

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flushed my power steering w/ATF+4 today

I made it simple by using the turkey baster method, actually an oil extractor in this case.

Nevertheless, I sucked about 1/5 a quart at a time out of the reservior. refilled it with ATF+4, ran the engine, turning the steering lock to lock....and repeat.

The first fluid came oil brown/green...subsequently orange and then fairly bright red. I usually prefer taking the hoses apart and divert the return into a bin, refilling the reservior w/new fluid as it gets sucked thru. Don't forget turning the wheel.

This job could easily be done with one quart. Since all ATF+4 is the same, a licenced Daimler-Chrysler product, you just buy the $4 WalMart stuff. I used a bit more, some cheap Dex 3 first to flush it out first.

I don't think Mobil 1 has any physical advantage over +4 or Dex 6, but M1 is the most popular (aftermarket) ATF used as high performance PSF. Dex 6 was duty tested to replace Dex 3 as PSF. ATF (Dex 3) is actually the most common PSF in the industry. Mercedes turned away from CHF to +4. VW used to run Dex 3, but went to CHF, w/o changing any hard parts.

Mercedes developed ATF+4 with Chrysler and is used as their PSF, duty-tested. CHF-11S is simply too thin, and we see a lot of issues with tracked cars. Hey, just use a better fluid!

ATF+4 has an obvious advantage as things heat up. It also has more and better additives too. See, when the visc drops too much, the pump has metal scuffing and produces runaway heating, warping the seals, etc.

My result was a PS pump about 1/2 as loud as before. Stone quiet steering, solid and smooth. $4.

If anyone has any questions, please post them.

This old install I did has a lil fuel filter in it. Doing great at 200k.

Quick Reply: Flushed my power steering w/ATF+4 today