Sponsored by:

Found this in my oil filter.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Found this in my oil filter.

This guy was in my oil filter of my 99 2.5, any idea what it may have come from? Name:  8pBtA.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  582.0 KB
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Doesn't look like any of the other oil filter trash people have found and posted pics of.

If I had to make a WAG, I'd say it looks to be a piece of very thin plastic/vinyl though it might have more thickness than that which could make it some kind of sealant fragment/flashing.

If the engine's been opened up at any time in the past...who knows what sealant was used where, what thread locking compound was used on what hardware.

Or it could have gotten in the engine by accident. Even if one is careful (and many mechanics aren't that careful) an open/exposed engine can collect trash then this comes up in subsequent (but probably not every one) oil/filter services thereafter.

Even if the engine has never been opened up, it could have gotten in from someone being careless around the oil filler tube or when changing plugs and plug tube seals.

If that's all there is...

If you are really worried send some oil out to be analyzed. If any scary stuff shows up then you can worry what if any role that trash plays in what is found in the oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it metal? Magnetic? Plastic? Size? More info please.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

It's a rubber of some kind. You can see the size next to my dirty finger. The oil has some very small metal flakes in it and has had them for at least the last 25k. IMS has been upgraded to the LN kit. Could it be something in the timing chains maybe?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Brockmeister
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a piece of hardened sealant. maybe from the oil pan itself. There are pics in other forums that show ribbons of thwe stuff clogging the opening for the oil sum. looks like worms.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

I don't think its from the oil pan, because I actually had to pull the pan earlier this week to remove a stripped drain plug. The inside was clean and debris free, and the sealer was a different consistency then the junk I found in the filter.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by aowolf
It's a rubber of some kind. You can see the size next to my dirty finger. The oil has some very small metal flakes in it and has had them for at least the last 25k. IMS has been upgraded to the LN kit. Could it be something in the timing chains maybe?
If the metal flakes have been showing up for the last 25K miles I think metal flakes are of no consequence.

If the metal was from a failing chain the chain would have failed by now.

Engines shed metal as they are running and will do so for as long as they run. IOWs, from the 1st second to the last second. Most often the metal is alum. and the flakes while they look scary and big they are big because they've been squeezed to a very thin state by the oil pump gear teeth. Then the flakes end up in the oil filter housing where they do not get broken up into smaller bits.

Generally, the amount of metal (and other trash) drops off but there can be a spike in the amount of metal as say a casting flashing finally lets go.

Yet another cause for a jump in metal (or debris) is if the engine is opened up.

Even something as light duty repair as a camshaft cover reseal can find the next at the next oil change have more trash, varied trash, in the oil.

I note you mentioned having gone to the LN bearing upgrade. This is going to stir things, so to speak, up, and the result, side effect, is a jump in trash in the oil and for a while.

But generally the amount of debris is downward.

Really, based on what you found, pictured, and the engine is not exhibiting any symptoms (noise for one) to make one fear the worst from whatever it was in the oil, I do not believe there is any reason to be overly concerned about what you found in the oil.

But if you want have the oil analyzed and see what scary things, if any, the oil contains, go ahead. Better safe than sorry. Be sure that oil sample is obtained from the oil poured from a clean (very clean) drain pan. If you use the same oil pan to change the lawn mower oil.

What the oil analysis finds or doesn't find will determine what you do next.

It may be nothing scary at all, in fact you may be able to relax a bit and focus on enjoying the car more.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Found this in my oil filter.