Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Are boxters really all that? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/711079-are-boxters-really-all-that.html)

Laguna Seca 08-10-2012 04:06 AM

Are boxters really all that?

I'm concerned about my decision making process! I have a '94 964 C2, black/black, manual, coupe, 129,000 miles, Calif. car, $5k in suspension, brakes, fluids, tires, and misc. fixes...everything works...near mint. When the car was in the shop, the shop loaned me a '04 Boxter base; 5 spd.. For a base model, this car was so nice to drive! I fell in love! All I wanted to do for three days was drive! It handled so nice and the exhaust note was gorgeous! So, now that I'm hooked, I'm struggling thinking about selling/trading my 964 for a '05-'07 Boxster S. I'm concerned about the IMS/RMS failures as well as any other downfalls of these cars. I can't keep the 964 and buy another Porsche due to being out of indoor space for the moment; otherwise, I would keep the 964! What to do, what to do? I have been a VW/Porsche guy all my life, so, I have owned a few; never a Boxter!
Any thoughts, advice, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! I think I have it figured out, however, this community is very knowledgable and may bring an angle in which I have not considered! Thanks much in advance! Cheers!

TroyN 08-10-2012 09:14 AM

Sounds like you're ready for a change! I briefly owned 2 986s but in both cases pretty quickly gravitated back to a 911, at least for track use. If you want a good all-rounder, the Boxster (note, not Boxter ;)) is pretty great. Better handling out of the box, better AC, more modern in general than everything up to a 996, option for open-air driving, good storage with 2 trunks. Some stigma of not being a 911 and a "lesser" Porsche, if that matters to you. Good problem to have, deciding between two great cars - good luck!

98Boxster 08-10-2012 09:49 AM

Yes, it's that good. So good, I traded my 98 (after 3 yrs) on an NSX. 2 months later I went back to the dealership and bought the Boxster back! Kept the NSX of course. An 05-07S would be even better. So if you liked the 04, just wait! But they are all great. I kept the Boxster for 6 more years and just in June I traded it (for good I'm afraid) for a 348 spider. I miss my Boxster.

Byprodriver 08-10-2012 04:08 PM

Boxster S is simply the Funnest device ever invented by man.

Put the 964 up for sale & see what happens.

MikeBat 08-11-2012 01:12 AM

I was all prepared to realize my dream...I had a 964 all lined up...sweet one, motor by Franz Blam...set up with motons...exhaust, leather pole positions....an extra set of wheels...the deal was all but signed....

Then a friend threw me his Boxster S keys and said go for along ride.

I never gave the keys back.

Laguna Seca 08-11-2012 03:53 AM

Hey guys, thanks for some great feedback! Sounds like I should sell my boat, cover the 964, and buy a BoxSter S! I think I spelled Boxster correct once in my orig. post...it was very late and I wanted to get my post out before my trip to the coast! I hope I didn't offend anyone! I really do know better! LOL! when I had the Boxster base for a few days, I just felt like I could carry more speed into the corners without feeling like I was working hard. I felt refreshed after a long drive; not beat up! The creature comforts were very pleasant as well! The shifting was very nice and and the clutch felt very light. My six year old loved it, and, best of all, my wife "got it" after I threw the keys her way and said "go for a long drive up tp the lake"! Now she understands the value of owning a luxury sports car! Game on!! Thanks again for the support! I will post and pic when I get mine! Cheers!

Mighty Shilling 08-11-2012 10:02 AM

I had a 924S and a 951S as my daily drivers since 2002. Great little cars, love the hell out of em. Finally decided a change was due so I sold my 951 a couple weeks back (my 924 went the way of the dodo back in 2007) and went shopping for a Boxster. No real Boxster experience other than driving them from the back of the building to the front when I worked at the dealer. First, its slower than my 951. By a lot. But. It is more modern, better handling, less dated, smoother running, and a much nicer car than my 951. so yes
I will say its all that and I will raise you a bag of potato chips.

No HTwo O 08-11-2012 10:18 AM

I've owned my 2006 Boxster S since new. I'll surpass the 50,000 miles mark on my drive today GREAT WEATHER!:)

Mine has been rock solid. All I've done is routine maintenance (fluids, filters, plugs, and etc.). No issues. Love it.

98Boxster 08-13-2012 01:42 PM

Yep, 9 years I had mine - only the air bag warning light came on as any issue!

ep3_lol 08-13-2012 01:56 PM

1 year and 15k miles on my 2002 so far. Just about to reach 60k miles total, and the only issue I've had yet is that whatever device that clicks when the signal lights are going has stopped working. Not a problem for me, it was annoying! Owning this car has been a great experience, and so far it's given me less trouble than the 2005 Civic that got me through college. Hopefully that will keep up.

mikefocke 08-13-2012 05:47 PM

I've been lucky enough to own 5 sports cars with perhaps 30 years of family cars in between. I started out after the kids were off the payroll looking and drove everything that vaguely resembles a sports car. Wasn't initially looking at a Boxster, 928 but it was just dated and heavy. Some I drove for miles, some I knew weren't right in the first block. My first impression of the Boxster was "it can't be this good, can it" and it didn't take but 5 minutes of mixed driving to convince me. Bought the first one I drove. Stupid me totaled my first (I was looking at another Boxster by the side of the road) and there wasn't any other-brand shopping when I replaced it. 6 years of trouble free driving between the two cars. Extremely practical.

Texbuckeye 08-13-2012 06:27 PM

If you don't need a 2+2 it is the best Porsche for the money. Absolutely the most fun to drive.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/9158

Laguna Seca 08-14-2012 01:02 AM

This is great news! I'm happy to hear such great comments! I have a dumb question...do any of the Boxsters come with LSD or traction control? What about all wheel drive? I'm a skier in the winter and would love to drive it year round! Top down, heat cranked, and snow all around! Can you fit a toneau (how ever you spell it) to the Boxster like the old Speedsters/Carreras? This would be the ultimate! It sounds like the IMS/RMS failures are a little overrated!? Thanks for ALL of the input!

No HTwo O 08-14-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca (Post 9763658)
This is great news! I'm happy to hear such great comments! I have a dumb question...do any of the Boxsters come with LSD or traction control? What about all wheel drive? I'm a skier in the winter and would love to drive it year round! Top down, heat cranked, and snow all around! Can you fit a toneau (how ever you spell it) to the Boxster like the old Speedsters/Carreras? This would be the ultimate! It sounds like the IMS/RMS failures are a little overrated!? Thanks for ALL of the input!

1) LSD or Traction Control?- Not sure about LSD. Most of the modern Boxster have PSM just like most every new Porsche. PSM is Porsche Stability Management. aka traction control. One of our excellent site sponsors is GUARDS. They might have a product for the Boxster/Cayman.

2) All wheel drive?- No. But with the mid engine set-up, and proper winter tires, I've heard great things about the Boxster in winter conditions (mine is hibernated during the winter). The main limitation is the depth of the snow, since the car is fairly low.

3) Tonneau Covers? Not sure. But I've seen pictures. Not sure of which Boxster years. I've driven hundreds of top down miles, Fall color drives, 37 degrees, heat cranked, heated seats on, with the windstop. Works great! I wear a cotton knit hat, and sometimes put a rolled-up towel under my sweatshirt to keep the back of my neck warm.

ep3_lol 08-14-2012 09:06 AM

The 986 never had an LSD from the factory, but there are aftermarket ones out there per my research. No AWD as stated above, but good snow tires will help you more than AWD will anyway. I think the Boxster would do fine, but I don't get much snow so I'm no expert.