Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Are boxters really all that? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/711079-are-boxters-really-all-that.html)

Jaak Lepson 08-24-2012 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924 (Post 9786610)
I get that "chick car" thing all the time from my techs. they also call it a miata, or whatever stupid **** they can come up with. :rolleyes:

But never in my life, have I ever recieved so many compliments on my car. I dig it

My usual retort is "I like chicks, you seem to like cars that attract hairy-assed guys. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just NOT my thing." :p

I live in a city that has over 2.7 million population (Toronto, Canada) and when the top is down ... the chicks like to smile at the ride. Even when filling it up women keep telling me they like the car. I get waves, smiles and long looks ... makes a 57 YO feel young again (I never grew up). A few would like to go for a spin and I always as "With the top up or down? If down, wear sunscreen ...:D"

BTW ... I like the colour combination of yours!!! I don't like the greys, silvers or black ones ... mine is Seal Grey ... the $$$ is over rides the colour. It was an offer that was hard to turn down. Love the Greens, reds and yellows. They are NOT the usual colours out there and I hate being the same as others ...

I always get coy smiles ... and have never been slapped down ...:D:D:D

Laguna Seca 08-25-2012 05:34 PM

Happy weekend! I sat in a '09 seal grey/black base yesterday...fit like a glove! Beautiful car! Still looking! Cheers!

500 08-27-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 500_19B (Post 9786039)
I had previously seen a recent quote from Mr. Raby on this forum along the lines of "seeing some trends" with SE cars, but I'm not sure if "exceptionally high occurence of failure" is the same thing. However, I am going to take your advice and call him to satisfy my curiosity... If I find anything out, I will report it back here.

Just to close this loop, I did call Flat 6, but spoke to someone other than Jake (who was teaching an engine rebuilding class in Alberta). The individual I spoke to opined that there was no real difference with the 550 SE cars vis-a-vis IMS. However, I can't say whether that is reflective of Jake's own current opinion.

Long & short of it remains that the IMS is something that is better to replace proactively in any case.

The individual I spoke to did mention that there is something new coming out, which will be a quantum leap ahead of the LN IMS retrofit that they offer. It was all still hush-hush, so he could not tell me anything really, other than it will be launched with a feature in Excellence magazine.

500 08-27-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca (Post 9792474)
Happy weekend! I sat in a '09 seal grey/black base yesterday...fit like a glove! Beautiful car! Still looking! Cheers!

Seal grey is a great color... it was one of the most popular P-car colors a few years back.

Flat6 Innovations 08-28-2012 06:54 PM

You won't reach me by phone.. I consider it an evil device that pulls me away from my real development work. No phone is located in my lab.. We do see a trend with the 550and 996 SE cars, we have had as many as 3 on our property at a single instance and all with the same mode of failure.

No info on the IMS Solution has been released by LN Engineering, or my company. We have co-developed the product from start to finish and will wrap that development up in less than 10 days with a 6,000 mile success tour across the US and Canada.

When its time to be released the story will first break in Excellence, as you were told. We are in no hurry for the release, the development has been underway since 2009 and the patent office knows all about it.

As it stands now, the IMS Solution will only be available for installation by Flat 6 Innovations at our location in Georgia. Don't wait on the Solution, like I said- we are in no hurry to release it and want to have the answers to every single question that anyone could ever ask before release.

matmanx1 08-28-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations (Post 9799992)
You won't reach me by phone.. I consider it an evil device that pulls me away from my real development work. No phone is located in my lab.. We do see a trend with the 550and 996 SE cars, we have had as many as 3 on our property at a single instance and all with the same mode of failure.

No info on the IMS Solution has been released by LN Engineering, or my company. We have co-developed the product from start to finish and will wrap that development up in less than 10 days with a 6,000 mile success tour across the US and Canada.

When its time to be released the story will first break in Excellence, as you were told. We are in no hurry for the release, the development has been underway since 2009 and the patent office knows all about it.

As it stands now, the IMS Solution will only be available for installation by Flat 6 Innovations at our location in Georgia. Don't wait on the Solution, like I said- we are in no hurry to release it and want to have the answers to every single question that anyone could ever ask before release.

Awesome news. Thanks for the update. I wonder if the 550 and SE cars problems stem more from the way people drive them (too carefully!) than from any real differences in the M96 engines themselves? The actual engine differences are fairly minor AFAIK, right? The problem sort of fascinates me at this point like any good technical problem can.

cvazquez 09-08-2012 12:41 PM

Yes, the Boxster is ALL that and a bag of chips! Love my 2005 5speed, especially after 7weekend track events within 3-years. The Boxster handling was fantastic and very confident. I plan to purchase another Boxster possible a 2013 in about 4 years and mod my DD Boxster for track use.

All the best!

Laguna Seca 09-08-2012 09:10 PM

Cvasquez...thanks for your input! Just wondering if you miss your 964? What do you like most about your Boxster compared to your other Porsches? Also, what track preps did you use on the Boxster? Cheers.

nick49 09-10-2012 01:55 AM

I drove a '99 Boxster Tip as much as my wife would let me over a 15 month span before I finally found the perfect 996 Cabriolet. You see the Boxster was and still is her garage queen with all of 25K miles on the clock. I washed it this morning and now that the temps are cooling off she'll start driving it until the snow flies.

I sold my very special 996 Cabriolet two years ago in June after 7 wonderful years of ownership. I have been driving a 996 Turbo Cabriolet 6 speed for about a year and a half now as my weekend toy. I just a couple of weeks ago spent a couple of hours driving the '99 Boxster and forgot what a joy to drive they really are. I'd say as fun as the 996 Cab or even the Turbo Cab. They don't have the room or the acceleration but they do handle very well. In some ways the Boxster actually feels superior to the 996 and Turbo Cabs. It has an unmatched ultra light and responsive feel to the steering. It also has a balanced feel to the chassis most likely because of the centralized mass. I love the rear weight bias of the 911s and that's my main attraction to Porsche and has been since the 356. If didn't want the expense of the Turbo as far as insurance, depreciation, tires, and gas I'd buy my own Boxster in a heartbeat!

knifemaker 09-12-2012 06:31 PM

I'm a newbie Boxster owner. 1999 "S" with a supercharger. Car has been lowered and I'd like to raise it back up to "stock" height. Suggestions please ? Lots of lowering springs out there....but I need shocks and springs to raise the car back up. Trade anyone ? Thanks mucho for your advice.
One last question.....guide available anywhere to Porsche number designations and what they refer to ?
tim@timbritton.com

cvazquez 09-12-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca (Post 9827328)
Cvasquez...thanks for your input! Just wondering if you miss your 964? What do you like most about your Boxster compared to your other Porsches? Also, what track preps did you use on the Boxster? Cheers.

My 1990 964 was phenomenal with minor issues for example valve adjustments on a daily basis to try and prevent valve guide wear. The valve guides on this model will eventually slide off the valves and could cause some expensive issues/repairs. The air-conditioning unit is poor on cooling, so not comfortable in Florida type of climates. This model also has issues with oil leaks especially leaks that are right on top of the manifolds, so if you’re asthmatic I do not recommend this model. When the 1995 993 was available I fell in love at first sighting. A couple of months later the 964 sold and a new 993 made its way into my garage. The 993 was AWESOME and I would love to get my hands on another to fit right in with the Boxster and 997. As you can imagine, I sold my precious 993 for the new 997 with no regrets whatsoever except that I would love to purchase another 993. I have a 3 car garage and there is no way my wife would allow her car to sleep outside while my Porsche bask inside the garage.
The Boxster is a track demon and very impressed with the handling performance (sharp precision).
I’ve kept the Boxster relatively OEM with the exception of the following:
-Changed oil to 5-40w
-Desnorkel intake and replaced air cleaner with K&N filter
-Super Blue brake fluid
-Tire and wheel package dedicated track use only
-Exhaust system Agency Power and kept the headers with primary CATS. I plan to remove the OEM headers when the Boxster is fully track prep. Additionally, Softronic would need to be installed if the headers are replaced with race headers because of the CEL. I believe Softronic DME will eliminate the CEL issue.
-Hawk brake pads and new rotors
-Go Pro camera to capture the fun
I hope this helps.
S/

Mark Dreyer 09-13-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cvazquez (Post 9826520)
Yes, the Boxster is ALL that and a bag of chips! Love my 2005 5speed, especially after 7weekend track events within 3-years. The Boxster handling was fantastic and very confident. I plan to purchase another Boxster possible a 2013 in about 4 years and mod my DD Boxster for track use.

All the best!

Just imagine how it handles with a race suspension. I love my 996TT for an around town cruiser, but for the track, Boxilla is amazing. Seriously, this car inspires so much confidence. I can't recommend it highly enough!

pjmachineco 09-13-2012 09:05 AM

I took my Mercedes in for an oil change.
For fun while I waited I test drove a few cars.
I came home with my 2007 Boxster S.
The decision was easy!

cvazquez 09-14-2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by pjmachineco (Post 9838931)
I took my Mercedes in for an oil change.
For fun while I waited I test drove a few cars.
I came home with my 2007 Boxster S.
The decision was easy!

Congratulations on your purchase now you'll always have Porschetities. :p

Laguna Seca 09-15-2012 02:19 AM

Great stuff guys!! I have really enjoyed my Boxster education thanks to all who have taken the time to post! Thank you so very much! I still don't have one yet, but have been shopping for one and loving every minute of it! My 964 is so set up right now, so I am enjoying her at the moment...I figure, why sell her right away when I just dumped $5k into her! Besides, I need to make sure everything was done correctly...right? I do lust after every Boxster I see locally! I will own one soon!, and...thanks to this forum, I learned how to spell Boxster properly! Thanks again and please keep em coming! Aloha! BTW, I am loving the cooler driving weather!