Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Are boxters really all that? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/711079-are-boxters-really-all-that.html)

Marine Blue 08-14-2012 10:31 AM

Some 987's were optioned with LSD and the Spyder/Cayman R included them as standard.

Laguna Seca 08-16-2012 01:14 AM

Gentlemen and/or Ladies...thanks so much for the great information! Still not sure what years to look at...I will start to get excited once I sell the 964! There are so many Porsches that I want to own before I die! This is one of them! I have always been a cab man! Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Jim 'n' SC 08-17-2012 08:04 AM

Yes they are really "all that". I've owned two Boxster's and currently own a 07 Carrera. Really missed my Boxster so when the 2013 Boxster came out I had to have one. It will be good to get back in a Box. Much more fun to drive than a 911.

pecora 08-17-2012 10:52 AM

Ask Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-s-test-review

Rick

Laguna Seca 08-17-2012 05:34 PM

I wish I could afford to buy a new one!
Jim...could you please take another moment and explain the differences and experiences between the 911 and the Boxster? What makes the Boxster a better driving experience for you? I think I know why, but I would like to hear it from you! Thanks very much!

CanyonBlaster 08-18-2012 01:43 AM

look at this one for sale!

I had a 964, good car. I really liked it. The Boxster is different. Not quite as romantic RE Porsche "mystique," but a great car as far as pure sports car. Sorry but especially with all the right mods, like this car I have for sale :bigbye:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ml#post9773831

Johnny14 08-18-2012 04:43 PM

Just picked up my first Porsche ever. Never a big fan of the Boxster until 8/9/12 when I went in to the show room looking for my 37th birthday gift to myself and saw the all new 2013 Boxster S. I couldnt quite believe my eyes. I tested the 911 S and the 2013 Boxster S. Both fun to drive but when I was behind the wheel of the Boxster S, I got chills. Never felt like that behind the wheel ever in my life. Dark metalic blue with Luxor Beige interior. The interior of the new Boxster is completely redone and the styling is sporty and luxurious. Wife is not to happy about the new purchase but so what. I would rather be divorced driving a boxster than married driving a hyundai. Needless to say, anyone thinking of buying the new 2013 Boxster S, do yourself a favor and run dont walk to your nearest Porsche Dealer and GET IT!

Laguna Seca 08-20-2012 01:15 AM

CanyonBlaster...I fully understand what you are saying...my '87 Carrera coupe had even more of the Porsche romance feel to it! I could take her into the mountains, put on some Mediterranean music, and feel like I was driving in Monaco! My '94 is refined, but still raw. The Boxster just feels more balanced and I could carry more speed without feeling like I was on the edge! BTW...your Boxster is B E A U T I F U L!!! That is exactly what I want! My only issue is the mileage...maybe you could PM me and help me understand why this isn't a big issue? Thanks much for your time!
Johnny...congrats on your purchase! I hope your wife doesn't leave you!...if she is smart, she will jump in and giggle all the way home! Welcome to the world of Porsche...it's a great place to be! Cheers!

Mighty Shilling 08-20-2012 01:43 AM

One other thing that makes them all that and a bag of potato chips... The sound of the intake right by your left ear.... Chills every time I push the loud pedal....

Laguna Seca 08-20-2012 02:51 AM

Porschephile...yes, the exhaust note was amazing when I drove a '04 base. I can only imagine what the S model is all about! I have always wanted a 550 Spyder and a Cayman...I'm guessing that the Boxster is the new school 550!?
Can anyone tell me what the popular upgrades are for these cars?
Thanks much!

l3m 08-20-2012 08:16 AM

Are you sure the 04 you drove didn't have a modified exhaust? Or maybe you were hearing the intake. Stock setup is pretty quiet. Here's a short list of performance upgrades.

1. ROW M030 or Bilstein PSS9 suspension
2. Full exhaust or any combination of headers, mid-pipes, catback exhaust
3. larger plenum/throttle body
4. underdrive pulley
5. ECU tune
6. EVOMS intake
7. good set of tires

ep3_lol 08-20-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca (Post 9777723)
and feel like I was driving in Monaco!

Monaco is fantastic, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy driving there any more than I'd enjoy driving in a parking lot :icon107:

Now the rest of the Riviera I could do :cheers:

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924 (Post 9777749)
One other thing that makes them all that and a bag of potato chips... The sound of the intake right by your left ear.... Chills every time I push the loud pedal....

I don't how many times I blipped the throttle at a stop after I figured this one out. Whether by accident or intentional, a very cool feature of the car.

Chuck W. 08-20-2012 12:22 PM

I had a '97 993 Turbo and a '01 Boxster S. I sold the 993 and kept the Boxster and have no regretes. That said, I will have 993 Cab someday.

500 08-20-2012 12:33 PM

I drove my first Boxster (2004 S) this past weekend, and I was REALLY impressed. I have an '85 Carrera, so I have a basis of comparison vis-a-vis the "classic" Porsche feel.

Whilst the 911 is a thoroughly entertaining experience, the Boxster was much more capable (to be expected on a car 19 years newer), but also, very fun in its own right. The handling was superb, the brakes very impressive and I found the open roof factor to add a lot more enjoyment than I anticipated.

It also seemed to be screwed together very well. The car had no rattles or shakes over rough pavement and this one had been well-taken care of. The paint and leather looked very good. I understand that Porsche refined the Boxster quite a bit since it first rolled out in '97 and the earlier cars are not as "solid" feeling and some of the plastics look cheap-ish (but are still great cars).

We are very possibly going to buy this car. It is being offered by the local official dealer with 22 month of CPO. If we do get it, I will drive it a little through the fall, and then have the IMS and water pump replaced in the spring as preventative maintenance. IMS is a little random and you don't want to be one of the unlucky ones, but I believe if you turn it into a regularly-replaced (albeit expensive) wear item, and keep up great maintenance practices otherwise, you can greatly mitigate the risk. In many ways the car I looked at was very well built and I think worth owning.

ep3_lol 08-20-2012 01:00 PM

There are "upgraded" IMS bearings out there that have a pretty good reputation as far as I know. Here's a pretty good page on them if you haven't read much: http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html