Sponsored by:

Need a new battery...

Old 07-14-2012, 03:42 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need a new battery...

I did a search but came up empty...

After 9 years with the original battery (and using the battery tender religiously) it appears that i will need a battery in the very near future.

Does anyone know what group size our battery is and what works best in our care. I did a serarch online at Advance Auto but they listed 2 different battery group sizes.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a little more searching and found Mike Focke's old site.

FYI If it is a manual tranny it can use a group 48. If a tip or you need additional cranking power you can get a group 94R.

I found the 48 for $89.56 and the 94R for $98.76 at Sams club for future reference...
Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

It's a standard battery that you can get at just about anywhere that sells car batteries. I picked mine up at Wal-Mart for somewhere around that amount. If you don't need the cold-cranking amps, go for the smallest/lightest battery that will fit.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Walmart and Autozone (Duralast) too.

Nice job on the 9 years! The maintainer is the key.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I found out and my results since changing out the battery. I posted this on another forum: 986forum.

I still have not had the codes come back.

I have had a problem with my Battery for about a year now and decided to finally replace it. It would not hold a full charge over time and I had to keep charging it monthly. It was constantly at 35% after a month - 11.7 VDC. Since I did not drive it daily I thought it was due to the part time use. Now that I have retired, I use it almost daily. The battery dropped back down to 35% after 2 weeks and I did not check it before that to see how it was dropping. My 2010 F150 has been sitting for a week and it's battery was at 85%. I also checked the charging voltages and they are within spec. Battery would not hold a proper charge.

Off I went to find out what battery I needed. The one in the car was a Napa 48-6 which a PO had installed some time in the past and it seemed "shorter" than what had been in there in the past as the bolt hole had signs it was used. It seems that the Group 48-6 is the wrong battery for the 2002 S with TIP. Research I had done indicated that a Group 94R is the CORRECT battery for my TIP. What I finally decided on was the WalMart brand EverStart® Battery MAXX-94R which had received excellent reviews from multiple sources including Consumer Reports. There are others out there, I chose the Maxx as the price was right, has a 36 month replacement warranty as well as a 108 month adjustment warranty as well. Special thanks to Mike Focks Web page for setting me in the right direction!

The Battery has 790 CCA (cold) and 960 (warm), fits correctly into the battery tray and the hold down bolt fits in the correct hole (according to previous battery before the Napa). It seems the pre 2005 Boxster need the "optional" listed battery which is the Group 94R VS the Group 48R which the basic battery in most lookup books. If you have a TIP, you need the 94R and as Mike has stated any amp installed as well. Those with a group 48R may want to upgrade to the 94R if they have any issues. Mike also recomended those in colder climates should move up to the 94R. The battery does come with covers over the terminal and the POS. terminal cover has the plastic plug "punched" to seal up the unused vent port. You reuse the existing vent plug. After I replaced the battery the car does seem to run a noticably stronger with faster starts etc.

A curious thing is my CEL would come on indicating Secondary Air Injection issues. I had gotten the system fixed at my friend P-Car Indy shop. No Vacuum leaks and all devices are working well. It may be the the reference voltage is low due to the bad battery causing both the left and right banks to indicate a failure. The CEL would disapear after a while (after the battery was charged from 35% to 100%. I will keep an eye on this.

Hope this helps others out as well. It seems the Group 94R is the correct battery for the 986 series of cars. Post 2005 cars all have 94R as the standard battery from what I have seen online and several lookup books. Pre 2005 should also use the same Group 94R battery.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the retirement! I plan to retire in 4 years and I will have 38 years with the same company too.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

It feels great ... best of luck to you!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM
lonj
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default porsche 986 battery replacement

Time for a replacement. My old battery has a single vent receptacle on the back side top for a vent tube leading to outside of frunk. I have not been able to find any currently available battery in group 48 size with this vent hole configuration. Do any of you where to find the correct replacement battery for my car.. 2000 Boxster S 3.2 l
Old 12-22-2015, 07:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by lonj
Time for a replacement. My old battery has a single vent receptacle on the back side top for a vent tube leading to outside of frunk. I have not been able to find any currently available battery in group 48 size with this vent hole configuration. Do any of you where to find the correct replacement battery for my car.. 2000 Boxster S 3.2 l
WalMart
AutoZone
DieHard

Take photo of current setup with your cell phone. Upon reinstallation recheck photo. You don't want to fark up the polarity. It happens.

Many of the new batteries today have more than one vent location. One you vent. The other is left plugged.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:00 PM
lonj
Intermediate

Default porsche 986 battery replacement

Is there some sort of kit available that is used to connect the tube mounted in the car to the simple small vent hole in the new battery
Old 12-23-2015, 12:26 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out PepBoys. They sell the bosch batteries and they do have vents.
lots of discounts right now
https://www.pepboys.com/parts/batter...ries_text-link

You can order it online, make an appointment and they will install it for $15

Get the biggest on that will fit, H7 / 94R. H6 is a little smaller, but fine as well
Old 12-23-2015, 02:56 PM
tone40
Racer

Default I replaced mine 2 weeks ago....

I got the Bosch group 48 at Pep Boys. 760 cca, 120 minute reserve. It came with the vent connection and a plug in the other vent hole (In case you need to switch it around, like I did). Perfect fit. 2000 S. I got 25% off with their online order discount (Pick up and pay at the store).
Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 PM
lonj
Intermediate

Default Replaced battery now need to reset radio code

Put in new battery, went to reset radio by entering code. Messed up entering code, radio displays "wait". I waited more than the 60 minutes stated in the manual, but wait still being displayed. Waited over night, still indicates "wait". Tried disconnecting battery for a minute, then reconnected. No change still says "wait". Can anybody tell me how to get back to square one so I can start over?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by lonj
Put in new battery, went to reset radio by entering code. Messed up entering code, radio displays "wait". I waited more than the 60 minutes stated in the manual, but wait still being displayed. Waited over night, still indicates "wait". Tried disconnecting battery for a minute, then reconnected. No change still says "wait". Can anybody tell me how to get back to square one so I can start over?
I believe you have to wait 30 minutes with the key on and the engine running. I screwed up entering the radio code and got the *WAIT*. Turned the radio off and drove to work and looked up the radio code. Back to the car and turned on the key and the radio and still had the *WAIT* showing.

That evening I turned on the radio and left it on and drove home. Somewhere on the way home which is almost all nights a 30+ minute drive I noticed the *WAIT* was gone and *CODE* was in its place. At home and with care I entered the correct code and got the radio back.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 AM
lonj
Intermediate

Thanks, I didn't realize the ignition and engine needed to be on during the "wait" time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a new battery...