Sponsored by:

Little Advise needed on a trade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM
BryO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Advise needed on a trade

I am currently completing the restoration of a 1988 944 Celebration Edition. This has been a complete restore of a car with 120K on her and my local parts/mech shop wants to trade me a 2001 Boxster, even for the 944.

The Boxster has 70k, new clutch, both head light assembly's have been replace. The inside is 9 out of 10, as well as the outside.

Anything I should be checking out on the Boxster?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

When the clutch was done, were the RMS seal and/or IMS bearing replaced?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

having owned an 85 944 back in 87, as well as a 944T in 2004, and a 986S today, i do think i qualify to weigh-in on this but must simply say: alot more info is required to provide any real or useable help IMHO.....details of both cars, ur intended use and desires, etc....

i would ve happy to provide some answers to targeted questions or even to chat w u if u want some help.

if u enhace ur post u r likely to get a few very helpful replies but with ltd info its hard to really help
Old 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by BryO
I am currently completing the restoration of a 1988 944 Celebration Edition. This has been a complete restore of a car with 120K on her and my local parts/mech shop wants to trade me a 2001 Boxster, even for the 944.

The Boxster has 70k, new clutch, both head light assembly's have been replace. The inside is 9 out of 10, as well as the outside.

Anything I should be checking out on the Boxster?
The short answer is everything. The Boxster is just a used car with 70K miles and at that mileage anything could be wrong.

The best thing I think you can do is to arrange for a test ride and then a test drive in the car.

Visit the car/engine cold, be sure the CEL and other warning lights go off when you turn the key on and then go off when you start the engine.

Listen to the engine as it starts, gains idle speed, and idles.

What to listen for requires some experience in listening to engines. But you should be able to identify a sick engine.

Have the seller take you on a 15 mile ride during which time he can demo the car to you, under different driving conditions as possible.

Back at the starting point then you take the car out on the same route, driving the car the same way.

After, if you still like the car and believe you can buy it subject it to a thorough used car checkout. You can use the 100+ point inspection the Porsche techs use when CPO'ing a car.

Then if you still like the car, have it CPO'd. This gets the car in the air so the car and all hardware can be checked for fluid leaks, among other things.

I would like to see the oil filter housing removed and the oil dumped into a *clean* drain pan to see if there's anything scary in the oil or the filter. Idealy you should replace the old filter with a new one, along with the o-ring and top up the oil. Try to leave the car in as good or better shape than you found it.

The DME overrevs counters should be read during this PPI and the PPI person should be able to go over these with you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 AM
BryO
Instructor

Default re

The 88 944 is one of 250 Silver Celebrations shipped to the US in 1988. A few things are different than a standard 944. The restore has been complete with removing the engine, replacing seals, bearings, water pump, belts rollers and rubber lines and hoses.

Rebuilt controls arms, struts, shocks, springs. Complete Brake replacement, rotors and all. Wheel bearings replaced as well.

Inside included dash recover, front and back seats. Carpet cleaned but color no longer available and did not want to do anything to change the looks.

Outside was completely sanded down, door seal, windows seals replaced.

Bought the car to restore and maybe sell. Wife wants a convertible and likes the little yellow and black Boxster. I have the 88 951, my truck and her 2010 Cayenne but she has been bugging me for another convertible. Thought about the 911 but have not found anything that interested her like the Boxster has.

Might do better by selling the Celebration and just purchasing a newer Boxster. I have been reading this forum to get an idea and everyone I have spoken too that owns one in the Clue, loves them.

Thank you all for the info and I will get the car on the road and to someone to look over.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Navin R Johnson
Cruisin'

Newby here but I have owned both cars you speak of. I don't exactly understand why you would work so hard on the 944 only to sell it in pursuit of an older Boxster. If you do decide to go for it, I'd check the IMS bearing, you might want to shop for an 03 and up as the glass back window is a nice upgrade.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Navin R Johnson
Newby here but I have owned both cars you speak of. I don't exactly understand why you would work so hard on the 944 only to sell it in pursuit of an older Boxster. If you do decide to go for it, I'd check the IMS bearing, you might want to shop for an 03 and up as the glass back window is a nice upgrade.
More power?

A few years back I spotted a guy with a 944 stopped on the side of the road, Vasco Rd. in Livermore, where it crosses over I-580. Dangerous place to be stopped.

I stopped to ask if he needed help. He did. Car wouldn't run. (Diagnosis was dead battery.) As one Porsche owner to another I offered to run him to a local auto parts store.

We talked a bit on the way to the store and back.

Turns out he flew down from IIRC OR to buy this 944 at a local auction (his buddy who lived I forget where recommended the car).

From what I could tell the 944 was in pretty good shape though I do not know the year or what he paid for the car or how it drove.

Anyhow, I ran this guy to a local auto parts store and as I accelerated on to the freeway from the on-ramp he commented something to the effect my Boxster (02 2.7l) was quite a bit faster had more get up and go than his newly purchased 944.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Brockmeister
Intermediate

I've owned 3 944's. A 85.5, a 86, and an 88. I have spent countless hours fixing just about everyting on these cars. IMHO, I think you will be pleasantly suprised by the more refined ride of the Boxster. I bought a '99 boxster w/66k on it. I love the added power and the refinement of the more modern car. I personally think you will like it as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Navin R Johnson
Cruisin'

I made the same step from a 944 to a Boxster base, no doubt it is more car. It sounds way cooler and has more torque and acceleration. The 944 engine also needs quite a bit of maintenance belts, hats, oil seals and very weak AC for those in hot climate. If you can stretch for an S and want even more power do it on the front end, all attempts to add power to the 986 are more expensive and less effective than buying the HP up front from Porsche. With the advent of the new Boxster there may be more trades available to shop through very soon, good luck!

Quick Reply: Little Advise needed on a trade