Horn not working!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 PM
aman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn not working!!!!

Hey Guys,

The horn of my 98 boxster suddenly stopped working!!! Help!!!

Regs,
Aman
Old 03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
stuvx
Track Day

Check fuse B3 (25 amp) at fuse support B. If that's OK, then you're going to have to use a voltmeter or test light to check the horn relay on relay support 1 (on driver side, under hood, near firewall).

Remove relay. Make sure you have voltage on pins 7 and 3. Then make sure you have ground on pin 2 when you press the horn.

You can also check the resistance on the relay itself. The control coil is between pins 2 and 7 on the relay (pins may be numbered differently on relay, but just go by the schematic printed on the relay).

If the above checks out OK, then plug relay back in and check for voltages at the horns (blk/yel wires).

If you have voltage at the horns and they still don't work, then make sure the grounds are good (brown wires).

Finally, if you have voltage and ground, and the horns still don't work, then check the resistances of the horns themselves.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
aman
Advanced

thanks....

but where is the fuse support B located ?

Regards,
Aman
Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aman
thanks....

but where is the fuse support B located ?

Regards,
Aman
When looking at the fuse box, it's the second row down and third fuse from the left. The rows are labeled as A,B,C...etc. and the columns are 1,2,3...etc.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 PM
rburro2
2nd Gear

Default Horn stays on blows fuse

I recently bought a 2000 Boxster. I noticed the horn didn't work. So I checked fuse B3 and it was blown. When I replaced the fuse the horn was as if someone was holding it on, without the steering wheel being touched, until the fuse blew again. Obviously there is a horn switch in the steering wheel. Will the rubber bushing behind the bracket cause this?
Old 04-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Huey Zygote
2nd Gear

Default Did you resolve this? It’s exactly what’s happening with mine.

Did you resolve this? It’s exactly what happened to my horn.

Originally Posted by rburro2
I recently bought a 2000 Boxster. I noticed the horn didn't work. So I checked fuse B3 and it was blown. When I replaced the fuse the horn was as if someone was holding it on, without the steering wheel being touched, until the fuse blew again. Obviously there is a horn switch in the steering wheel. Will the rubber bushing behind the bracket cause this?
Old 04-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Under the airbag where it attaches to the steering wheel are rubber "isolators" in each corner. They wear out, and the weight of the airbag causes the horn to turn on. If you google around, there are a number of people explaining how to use rubber o-rings (plumbing parts) to take the place of the worn out rubber parts. The "frame" that includes the rubber parts is # 993-347-088-01 ~ $100 USD, if you don't want to try the o-rings...... (o-rings worked on my 99 Boxster)

-Eric
Old 04-08-2021, 04:11 PM
Huey Zygote
2nd Gear

Erik
Thank you for your reply.

I disconnected my horns and I think that is the problem. The fuse is no longer broken when I did this. So I went ahead and ordered a new horns so hopefully that will be resolve it. When I disable the horns I can hear a click sound when I hit the horny on the steering wheel. So I m hoping the horns just went bad and causing my fuse to break.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 AM
Shotime99
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Huey Zygote
Erik
Thank you for your reply.

I disconnected my horns and I think that is the problem. The fuse is no longer broken when I did this. So I went ahead and ordered a new horns so hopefully that will be resolve it. When I disable the horns I can hear a click sound when I hit the horny on the steering wheel. So I m hoping the horns just went bad and causing my fuse to break.
It sounds like your diagnosis is correct. Since you’re able to hear the relay engaging, the horns just need to be replaced. My 99 had the exact same issue (after I replaced the rubber o-rings behind the airbag) so I replaced the horns and all is good now.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:15 AM
Porschesparesuk
Banned

this looks handy, we have a 2002 here and the horn has stopped working!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:06 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

After I picked up my brand new '97, I thought the horn was second rate. A few years ago, the horn failed and during replacement, I saw why the horn sucked so. The low tone horn never worked since it was brand new, only the high tone was working. Replaced both and now it beeps like it always should have.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:50 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, for anyone else having horn issues......

Does your horn NOT work when the car is running, but WORKS when the car is off?

Remove the steering wheel air bag and look underneath. There's a grounding wire for the horn, I think it may be green. Sometimes the solder connections becomes weak.

Look around and I'm sure you'll find a much better articulated post about this.

I've had that problem, as well as horns themselves go bad.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2021, 09:54 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

AND....... If it is indeed a bad horn(s), enjoy cleaning your front radiators when you take the front bumper off.

It's actually a worthwhile task. You'll be glad you did.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:27 AM
Porschesparesuk
Banned

turns out ours was the cage on the back of the steering wheel, fuse had blown because horn was constantly on at previous owners!
Old 09-30-2022, 08:41 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than start a new thread I thought it might be wise to highjack this one...

I have a 2000 Boxster S and three spoke wheel. quite different that some of the four spoke on the video. Air bag held on by two t30 torx and after disconnecting the airbag, there are three t30 torx holding the metal frame on.

Here's the goofy part, the horn works with the key out but not with the key in and turned on position 1 or 2..

When i removed the air bag and then removed the 3 x torx that hold the metal frame on, it all appeared to be working and bushings not worn out. in fact there is not likely any place to add the o-rings to fix. Plus my issue is not the horn stays on and blows fuses... come to think of it, it may make sense to start a new thread!

any help here would be appreciated..

Quick Reply: Horn not working!!!!