Sponsored by:

997 S Throttle Body on 986 2.7L TIP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
grtc68
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 S Throttle Body on 986 2.7L TIP

1st post here...I just recently purchased and installed Pedro's TechnoPower2 (TP2) gadget on my 2.7L TIP 986. First, let me say that Pedro's gadget works as advertised (I don't have a dyno sheet, as a caveat). I recommend the TP2 for any 986 owner...you will not regret the extra power; however, see my before modifications, below, which I would highly suggest to take advantage of additional torque and HP increases from the TP2. If you have no idea what the TP2 is, please go to Pedro's Garage website. Pedro provides you good instructions and a help-line...if you get stuck; it's not that hard, except for one part (below).

Also - Pedro did not have a 2.7L TIP program set up, prior to mine, but he now has it; I was the guinea pig. I made a few recommendations to Pedro to help others out during installation. Although, Pedro is just a call away if you need him to talk you through; he's extremely helpful.

Vroom-a-grin,
Kimo

Reflections after 500 miles of test/grin "varied" driving (and no CEL):
- definite gains in torque (seat-of-pants dyno - but the obvious torque increase is enough to dismiss the money-out-of-wallet dyno effect). My Boxster is my daily driver, so I definitely notice any changes. Believe me, it's a considerable increase in torque...way better that the coffee can ricer gadets...lol.
- throatier exhaust sound is a bonus (i already have a DIY sports exhaust)
- bonus ROW reprogram...Pedro reprog'd my DME to ROW, so I can delete the 2ndary air pump--> weight savings.

Other modifications before Pedro's TP2:
- Fabspeed headers w/ sportcats
- 2ndary cat-delete pipes
- DIY sport muffler
- Cold air intake mod (dry cone filter)
- lowering springs
- TechnoTorque (can't reuse due to larger 997 S TB ); you can, however, reuse the rubber gasket...fits in nicely and no leaks...below is old gasket on the new 997 S TB T-section....exact fit.

- PowerChip reprogram

Some photos:
In the Box (Pedro needed my CLU+key...guinea pig duties)

Before

After (I had to cut the elbow by 3/4" to give me room for the rest of the piping...hence the extra protection tab)

The elbow to TB was a very tight fit...and consumed most of my installation...olive oil around the rim was the difference in the end...I was smoked (i.e. my butt was kicked)

even tried using a spoon...prior to the olive oil...LOL

AOS tube broke during installation...Pedro's instructions address this possibility and provides a solution: went to Lowes and bought a 3/4" heating tube for 50 cents. Dealer charges $148 + tax for the tube fittings alone...

Only one problem (my fault) - I have an airbag warning light on because I removed the CLU (under left seat) without disconnecting battery first. Pedro needed my CLU to get the 2.7L TIP baseline program; my DME was write-protected from PowerChip. If there is anyone in the DC with a Durametric that can help me reset the warning airbag light and want to see Pedro's TP2 up close, please let me know.

I'm definitely a satisfied customer...I am not affiliated with Pedro’s Garage…just sharing an experience that I think some of you may feel useful.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM
The French Dude
Instructor

Hi everybody.
Any other experience about this kit ?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM
The French Dude
Instructor

Any experience or even thought ? I was wondering if the this mods worth 1500$.
Considering I have a stock manual Box S.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I have seen this kit/mod mentioned before but I know really nothing about it and have no comment. You might post your questions on the Pedro's board main forum:

See this link:

http://pedrosboard.com/index.php

I have come across posts by owners on this mod there and of course the board is monitored/moderated by Pedro and you can direct questions to him.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 PM
The French Dude
Instructor

Yeah I already did it!
Really nice and prompt guy. Had answers on the same day.
The issue is everybody selling Boxster stuff tell you have HP gains etc... But what's real?

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM
MyLocksFlop
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grtc68
1st post here...I just recently purchased and installed Pedro's TechnoPower2 (TP2) gadget on my 2.7L TIP 986. First, let me say that Pedro's gadget works as advertised (I don't have a dyno sheet, as a caveat). I recommend the TP2 for any 986 owner...you will not regret the extra power; however, see my before modifications, below, which I would highly suggest to take advantage of additional torque and HP increases from the TP2. If you have no idea what the TP2 is, please go to Pedro's Garage website. Pedro provides you good instructions and a help-line...if you get stuck; it's not that hard, except for one part (below).

Also - Pedro did not have a 2.7L TIP program set up, prior to mine, but he now has it; I was the guinea pig. I made a few recommendations to Pedro to help others out during installation. Although, Pedro is just a call away if you need him to talk you through; he's extremely helpful.

Vroom-a-grin,
Kimo

Reflections after 500 miles of test/grin "varied" driving (and no CEL):
- definite gains in torque (seat-of-pants dyno - but the obvious torque increase is enough to dismiss the money-out-of-wallet dyno effect). My Boxster is my daily driver, so I definitely notice any changes. Believe me, it's a considerable increase in torque...way better that the coffee can ricer gadets...lol.
- throatier exhaust sound is a bonus (i already have a DIY sports exhaust)
- bonus ROW reprogram...Pedro reprog'd my DME to ROW, so I can delete the 2ndary air pump--> weight savings.

Other modifications before Pedro's TP2:
- Fabspeed headers w/ sportcats
- 2ndary cat-delete pipes
- DIY sport muffler
- Cold air intake mod (dry cone filter)
- lowering springs
- TechnoTorque (can't reuse due to larger 997 S TB ); you can, however, reuse the rubber gasket...fits in nicely and no leaks...below is old gasket on the new 997 S TB T-section....exact fit.

- PowerChip reprogram

Some photos:
In the Box (Pedro needed my CLU+key...guinea pig duties)

Before

After (I had to cut the elbow by 3/4" to give me room for the rest of the piping...hence the extra protection tab)

The elbow to TB was a very tight fit...and consumed most of my installation...olive oil around the rim was the difference in the end...I was smoked (i.e. my butt was kicked)

even tried using a spoon...prior to the olive oil...LOL

AOS tube broke during installation...Pedro's instructions address this possibility and provides a solution: went to Lowes and bought a 3/4" heating tube for 50 cents. Dealer charges $148 + tax for the tube fittings alone...

Only one problem (my fault) - I have an airbag warning light on because I removed the CLU (under left seat) without disconnecting battery first. Pedro needed my CLU to get the 2.7L TIP baseline program; my DME was write-protected from PowerChip. If there is anyone in the DC with a Durametric that can help me reset the warning airbag light and want to see Pedro's TP2 up close, please let me know.

I'm definitely a satisfied customer...I am not affiliated with Pedro’s Garage…just sharing an experience that I think some of you may feel useful.
i have the 2.7 tiptronic too. I noticed i don't see the venturi tube? Is that the part that got deleted? I was going to be fitting a 997 throttle body and plenum as well but i was going to include the venturi tube somehow. I have everything ordered so I'm just waiting now.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:22 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

just buy a 996 or 997 intake plenum from porsche ($40; 997 is a bit better design) and a 74 mm throttle body from a 996/997/cayman (on ebay for under $100). install. you can reuse the existing intake plenum boots (will have to be stretched over the new plenum, and will require larger hose clamps on the plenum side from a 996 or 997) and mounting the throttle body to the plenum will require slightly shorter fasteners and a new gasket (try to get the fasteners when you buy the throttle body). modify the pipe from throttle body to maf holder/airbox as required. i used a 90 degree silicone reducing elbow from ebay trimmed to proper length (makes the fit a bit better in that tight space noted by the OP; sawing of the little tab that you can see in the pics also helps) and some adapters and couplers. easily done for under $200. for added vroom install an airbox out of a 987 (on ebay for under $200). putting a hairdryer or heat gun on the aos hose keeps it pliable so that it doesn't break when repositioned.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 PM
The Radium King
Racer

here's a dirty engine pic. in top left you can see 997 intake plenum attached to intake runners with oem boots and hose clamps (larger 996/997 house clamps on the plenum side). 996 throttle body (a bit shallower than the 67mm unit on your car currently, so shorter fasteners required) followed by silicone reducing elbow and alu adaptor. in my case i am running a 996 row tune on my car so can run the 987 maf housing. using an oem cayman coupler to join the alu adaptor to the maf housing. and out of sight is the 987 air box. your solution will vary depending on what airbox and maf housing you are running. pretty much all factory parts except the elbow and alu coupler. let porsche do the engineering is my mantra.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM
The Radium King
Racer

here is another pic. before i pushed the 996 tune on my car, but still had the 987 airbox and bigger throttle body, etc., i cut the maf holder off my old airbox and made the contraption shown here. again, reducing elbow into a portion of the original plastic pipe into a coupler into the original maf holder into a coupler to mate it to the new airbox.

edit to add - if you do saw off the maf holder from your old airbox, take the opportunity to add a flow straightener to the input side to send a cleaner signal to you maf.

Quick Reply: 997 S Throttle Body on 986 2.7L TIP