Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

928 to 986

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Went from my 90 GT to an 01 Boxster S. Loved it.

The top down driving and 01 S had plenty of power for it's day. Got it new, Porsche did replace the motor and all four brake calipers under warranty.

Back in a GTS today.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having both is the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by deptotpr
I could not resist this 2001 with 52k, and a price tag of $11.5
good looking car.

Originally Posted by linderpat
They both suffer from the potential IMS/RMS issues, which depending on the miles, I would premeptively fix. Your new one is low miles (relatively), so I would consider the premptive fix. My mechanic out here in Bozeman is one of the guys in the US certified by Porsche to do the repair, and the cost is around $3k - not too bad imho.
so he just puts the factory bearing back in? another option is the LN Engineering ceramic coated bearing. Chris's German Auto here in Bellevue does it for about $1500. i'll be getting them done after the year rolls over, along with the clutch and a few other things.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
DaveT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both and it is really twice the fun. Certainly different cars but both are rewarding. Nothing like having the top down for a sunny cruise.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
out here in Bozeman is one of the guys in the US certified by Porsche to do the repair, and the cost is around $3k -
Brother, that just doesn't sound right in any form or fashion. There are eleventy hundred places in the US that can do it for about half that price. With Warranty.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Linderpat, I was told after the trade in, the 78 # 134 did not last two days, as someone drove all the way from 'Texas' and picked it up. Texas, (the heart of 928's) go fiqure, uh... Yes, I do miss her, and wish I could of afford both. It's like an ex-wife though, too complicated to see again. I hope noone ever forwards me a craigs list ad from Texas, as I may run back.. I am familiar with the Boxster issues, and will proactively attempt to prevent it. For now, I am forced to quitting 928 cold turkey, wish me luck
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 928 & Boxster

Both are great cars with some unique differences.

Can't beat the 928 for comfort and long road trips, with plenty of power and performance. Nothing sounds like the German V-8 and the car seems timeless to most people. It's an addictive machine that requires some care and attention/affection.

And the Boxster goes through corners like a dream, with neutral handling and totally predictable in how it responds to any correction. Drive it on the track or on a curvy road and it's always thrill. Keep the revs up and you're good to go. Top down driving on a sunny day can't be beat either.

Get the LN Eng. bearing for any Boxster before 2006. LN Eng. has a bearing for 2006 - 2008 models, but it's a much more complex fix due to the changes Porsche made in the upgraded original 2006 IMS bearing.

Alternating between the two cars is a great way to go.

Would have kept mine, but decided to do something different. Still have great respect for the Boxster's handling though.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
z driver 88t
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
2009 and later Boxster/Caymans no longer have IMS so the problem is eliminated. The power is also much higher than the original Boxsters. My Spyder has 320 Hp and weighs 2900 lbs, which is more than enough on the street. Open top driving is hard to beat!

If I had the $ I would definitely have kept the 928 though, it's an incredible car and very unique.
I may be mistaken, but I thought the IMS fix in 2009 only applied to the 997.2 M97 engines. I thought the 987 cars still used older M97 design that still had the IMS.

In either case, the LN upgrade is the common way to go - seems to be the only real issue wth that car. RMS is just annoying, but the IMS will leave you stranded with $12-$16K in repairs.

BTW - LN / Raby engineering recently came up with the Block Guardian for the M96 based cars for real time monitoring BEFORE you get an IMS failure.

http://www.lnengineering.com/imsg.html

I rented an 05 Boxster from Boston for a road trip through New England back when the 987s first came out. It was a great car. Drove it 1000 miles over that week and really enjoyed it. I love all the trunk space. Having front and rear trunks made it pretty easy to pack luggage for two for a week with no problem. If I didn't need back seats for my daughters I would definitely pick up a used Boxster.

They are an incredible value right now on the used car market.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you remember when you were little boy, and excited, and you first drove a little go-cart around? This is my transition in an analogy for you. Of course, while I was driving in a straight line for several Interstate miles, the 928 touring comfort is definately missed. Anyway, if you have not expanded, and browsed 928's in Tampa Bay Craigs list, their is always a half a dozen to choose from. (no rust too!) Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Anyway, this concludes my final 928 to 986 report from sunny, Tampa Bay Florida, and hope everyone has a good holiday!

Last edited by deptotpr; 03-05-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by deptotpr
Linderpat, I was told after the trade in, the 78 # 134 did not last two days, as someone drove all the way from 'Texas' and picked it up. Texas, (the heart of 928's) go fiqure, uh... Yes, I do miss her, and wish I could of afford both. It's like an ex-wife though, too complicated to see again. I hope noone ever forwards me a craigs list ad from Texas, as I may run back.. I am familiar with the Boxster issues, and will proactively attempt to prevent it. For now, I am forced to quitting 928 cold turkey, wish me luck
Good luck You'll be fine... and evntually back in. Anyone on the list with your old one?

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
Brother, that just doesn't sound right in any form or fashion. There are eleventy hundred places in the US that can do it for about half that price. With Warranty.
Abby, I'm just recounting what I was told by a couple of my PCA brethren regarding their Boxsters. they told me the factory actually certifies a specific fix for this issue. I know there are many mechanics who can do the job, but aparantly they are not certified by PCNA for it. Maybe somebody else has heard about this? Also, I don't think these older Boxsters are under warranty anymore, so it would seem there is a significant cost to replace these bearings. Does Porsche still stand behind the problem on an out of warranty car? There are also IMS issues with the 996. If I recall, Shark Attack premptively fixed his, and he did not have a warranty to fall back on. Would love to know since I will eventually get of of these cool cars.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I put about 5k miles on two different loaner Boxsters from Brumos back when we had our 911 & they were doing some work for me on it. One I had for a month straight! I really enjoyed driving it, for much of the same reasons already mentioned here. My wife on the other hand has no interest in them, said back then that they are a "girls" car! Go figure that one! Course, that was the dig on the one show of Two & a Half Men when the brother had one. She said that only reinforced her theory from 10 yrs ago. I'd take one in a heartbeat, especially an 'S', fun car to drive.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Well.....it has been fun. Time to send this thread to its new home.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heinrich
Maybe.... I agree these are excellent value. But you do lose the V8 and you definitely have to be OK with just 2 seats. Otherwise it is a great (underpowered) little car.
My new little P-Car might be underpowered but the way she touches me and the sounds she make when we are playing is quite, Overpowering.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Well.....it has been fun. Time to send this thread to its new home.
Huh, ok, I guess I understand the move since the thread is not about a 928, but yet the thread with a poll about whether to buy a 308; Viper; Lotus; or Ford GT kit car still remains in the 928 Forum?
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...able-poll.html
At least this thread dealt with Porsches, yes? Perhaps just a time allotment allowed on non 928 specific threads?

Last edited by MGW-Fla; 12-14-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW-Fla
Huh, ok, I guess I understand the move since the thread is not about a 928, but yet the thread with a poll about whether to buy a 308; Viper; Lotus; or Ford GT kit car still remains in the 928 Forum? At least this thread dealt with Porsches, yes? Perhaps just a time allotment allowed on non 928 specific threads?
That's telling him MGW-Fla...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
That's telling him MGW-Fla...
Didn't mean any disrespect, it just caused me curiosity to understand the equity regarding what's allowed to stay in the 928 Forum & what isn't. I understand in theory it has to have a basic connection to a 928, but we all know some threads don't & yet are left alone, and I'm fine with that. Sometimes the camaraderie amongst the fellow 928ers about slightly non 928 topics is good. Many don't venture to the other forums, so the only fellow forum members they feel comfortable with are those here.

Seemed this thread was about making a transition from a 928 to another Porsche model, and many replies discussed the comparison of the 928 to a Boxster, yes?

Quick Reply: 928 to 986