Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are my engine options

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great points as always! Not disagreeing going with an engine compatible with your existing DME is the best route.

Curious though Macster, why did you bring up fuel injectors in the first place ???
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I prefer the bigger bore shorter stroke 3.6L route using LNengineering sleeves in the original engine over dropping in/up? a 996 3.6L. The 99mm bore with longer rods & shorter stroke crank is preferable for high rpm power & longevity & still yields plenty of low rpm torque ( especially in a 986 ) not to mention the stronger cylinders, pistons, crankcase, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

If was in a cost no object frame of mind, I'd just talk to Jake. 400HP from a normally aspirated Boxster all sorted, dyno'ed, road-tested, race tested and with many original design issues fixed.

Other options I've heard of....

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...%27tfastenough
Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
Great points as always! Not disagreeing going with an engine compatible with your existing DME is the best route.

Curious though Macster, why did you bring up fuel injectors in the first place ???
The replacement engine will (should) come with its own properly sized injectors so there's no reason to worry about injectors.

But for some reason I had forgotten to consider the replacement engine would come with its own injectors and mentioned injectors.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
...But for some reason I had forgotten to consider the replacement engine would come with its own injectors and mentioned injectors...
HAH, caught you! Just kidding. I figured it was a slip of the brain, but you never know what might come from the depths of your grey matter. I had a similar moment this morning before coffee... I brought out the oatmeal and instead of getting prepared to boil water I brought out the toaster. I don't think the oatmeal would have cooked too well in the toaster
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 PM
lord flasheart
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.8 from 997 is possible to go in a 03/04 986. As per a post I made in another thread, a German tuning company offer a kit for this (although they will only do it inhouse).

So although they might not be viable as a supplier, it is further evidence that it can be done (but it appears to 03/04 only).

This might have to be my realistic goal in a few years, as I dont think it would be feasable to get the new GT3 4.0 into my 03 Boxster S (but I can always dream - 500 naturally aspirated HP....... )

Quick Reply: What are my engine options