Got code P1531, Camshaft Adj Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
P1531 is the same error code my 02 produced when the passenger side VarioCam solenoid/actuator went bad.

However, I note that in my car's case the engine was obviously sick, running rough though eventually the engine's behavior improved and it appeared to run ok.

So, in your car's case, I'm less inclined to believe the solenoid or actuator is at fault. I'd at least think about eliminating the connector and doing other checks to ensure the wiring or power or signal wires are ok before considering the solenoid/actuator is bad. In fact a qualified shop with PST2/PIWIS should be able to run some tests to pretty much identify the real cause of the check engine light and its error code.

I note others have reported a DME problem... I'd be very very reluctant to delve into this possibility without first eliminating other possibilities. Mess up a good DME and you're looking at big bucks. The '99 and earlier DME's IIRC cost $5K or so. Even the newer model car DME's run IIRC over $1K, way over.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The work has already been done at this point

Porsche of Annapolis gave me the option of a new DME to the tune of about $6,000 They also gave me the option of them shipping my DME out for repair, to the tune of just over $1,000. I took the latter option!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
The work has already been done at this point

Porsche of Annapolis gave me the option of a new DME to the tune of about $6,000 They also gave me the option of them shipping my DME out for repair, to the tune of just over $1,000. I took the latter option!
Well, I'm glad it wasn't the solenoid/actuator. This is a $3K+ job (at the dealer anyway).

I have read about a few companies that 'rebuild' DMEs. There's one in FL (IIRC) but I know nothing about it.

Also, if my memory has not totally taken leave, at least one advertises in Panorama Magazine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In fact a qualified shop with PST2/PIWIS should be able to run some tests to pretty much identify the real cause of the check engine light and its error code.
Using Durametric, PST2, or PIWIS one can activate the camshaft advance. If you are able to activate it and notice a change in idle quality, but are still receiving this DTC and the solenoid produces over 13 ohms when testing resistance between it's two pins, my guess would be DME (or corner case actuator). If you are not able to activate the camshaft advance chain tensioner mechanism by computer and subsequently sense no change in engine idle, and are also not able to activate the actuator manually by applying 12V+ to the solenoid (again noting no discernible modification in engine idle quality), my guess would be the solenoid and/or actuator (for most, best to replace both the solenoid and actuator as Macster has pointed out).

There's one in FL (IIRC) but I know nothing about it.
Speaking from experience, Protomotive is one option for DME rebuilds.
The following users liked this post:
CharlesLS (07-02-2023)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Tardango
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a persistent P1531 code as well. Originally, it threw a few cylinder misfire codes, but no longer after replacing a single bad oxygen sensor. I've replaced the variocam and it can be actuated via software. My camshaft deviation is perfect, the timing is spot on, oxygen sensors and MAF are in reading appropriately, but the check engine light will come on occasionally. The car will then begin to idle rough and loose mileage. If you clear the check engine light it can run well again for a while.

All I have left to work with now is perhaps a bad DME. Any thoughts on how I can check this before replacing the unit? Any other possible causes for an isolated P1531 codes?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Tardango
I have a persistent P1531 code as well. Originally, it threw a few cylinder misfire codes, but no longer after replacing a single bad oxygen sensor. I've replaced the variocam and it can be actuated via software. My camshaft deviation is perfect, the timing is spot on, oxygen sensors and MAF are in reading appropriately, but the check engine light will come on occasionally. The car will then begin to idle rough and loose mileage. If you clear the check engine light it can run well again for a while.

All I have left to work with now is perhaps a bad DME. Any thoughts on how I can check this before replacing the unit? Any other possible causes for an isolated P1531 codes?
When the check engine light comes on and the engine idles rough and mileage drops what is the error code or codes?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Janelle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After reading all this I was afraid....

...I might have expensive repair on my hands. I always put Exxon gas in my Porsche, but one day I stopped at a no name station and dropped $5 of the good stuff to get me to the next Exxon. The gas light went on before I got to my next stop. I filled up on Exxon gas and the light stayed on. I thought I might have not tighten up the gas cap. I had my car tested and gooled the code. I found you all. You all had me thinking I had a major costly problem on my hand. I called the repair shop and they echoed what was here on this blog, $2600! I drove my car while I was coming up with the fund and filled up again with a 2nd tank of gas. The check engine light was going on and off so I felt I had time before I took it to the shop. 3 more tanks of gas and the light stayed off. Thank GOD I did not take it in right away. All it was was BAD GAS. A few more tanks later my car is running like normal. I hope I save the next Porsche owner some money.

Quick Reply: Got code P1531, Camshaft Adj Bank 1