Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Help! Weird Mettalic Screeching Sound When I Start In the Morning (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/644517-help-weird-mettalic-screeching-sound-when-i-start-in-the-morning.html)

eidsta911 07-16-2011 04:21 AM

Help! Weird Mettalic Screeching Sound When I Start In the Morning

Hey guys,
New Boxster owner here. I just bought a 2000 Boxster 2.7. When i start the car for the first time each day, i hear a screeching metallic vibration sound. It sounds like a high frequency metallic vibration, almost like a faint version of a circular saw cutting through a thin sheet of metal.. . The sound goes away when the car warms up about 1minute later.

The sound is louder when i approach the passenger side of the car by the air vent in front of the rear wheel. did alot of reading the only thing similar i found was a won rip belt

I'm due for an oil change and thinking i'll leave it overnight at the shop and have them figure it out. I was hoping to figure it out so they don't use it as an excuse to rape me.

thanks for your help in advance

I'll try to make a video or audio clip of the noise tomorrow morning and post the link here.

No HTwo O 07-16-2011 08:47 AM

Bad pully? Has your serp. belt even been replaced?

JFP in PA 07-16-2011 12:11 PM

More likely the Bendix drive on your starter is sticking, a common problem. Fix is easy, pull the starter, clean and lube the Bendix drive (we like dry Teflon spray for this) and you will be fine.

eidsta911 07-16-2011 08:31 PM

Here is a link to Youtube of the noise my car makes on the first start of the day. The time of day doesn't matter, only happens on first start of the day. The noise stops towards the end of the video. Please let me know if you know what this noise could be.

harryrcb 07-17-2011 12:39 AM

Wow that is a strange sound can't put my finger on what it might be. you need to start eliminating things such as the coolling fan which resides at that vent. just oper your engine bay and unplug the fan and see if you still get the sound . after that open the panel behind the seats and see if you can figure out where it's coming from. If you are VERY CAREFUL you can take a long screwdriver and touch differnt parts (that are not rotating) and put your ear to the handle you might be able to get a better idea where it's coming from.

No HTwo O 07-17-2011 09:29 AM

Strange, sounds like a band saw!

Sounds like a fan rubbing something. Send Jake Raby (flatsixinnovations) a PM.

Dale_K 07-17-2011 07:01 PM

I think that's the air injection fan that pumps air into the exhaust system on a cold start to help reduce pollution. That fan runs about 45 seconds in my car but it depends on how cold is was when you started the car.

It sounds like your fan is touching the housing. Maybe the bearings are bad letting the fan move around a little.

Macster 07-18-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by eidsta911 (Post 8716786)
Hey guys,
New Boxster owner here. I just bought a 2000 Boxster 2.7. When i start the car for the first time each day, i hear a screeching metallic vibration sound. It sounds like a high frequency metallic vibration, almost like a faint version of a circular saw cutting through a thin sheet of metal.. . The sound goes away when the car warms up about 1minute later.

The sound is louder when i approach the passenger side of the car by the air vent in front of the rear wheel. did alot of reading the only thing similar i found was a won rip belt

I'm due for an oil change and thinking i'll leave it overnight at the shop and have them figure it out. I was hoping to figure it out so they don't use it as an excuse to rape me.

thanks for your help in advance

I'll try to make a video or audio clip of the noise tomorrow morning and post the link here.

Dale_K I think nailed it.

The secondary air injection pump is suspect.

You can pull the secondary air injection pump fuse and start the engine under circumstances you *know* will produce the noise.

If you are comfortable doing this remove the engine cover and the access panel behind the carpet behind the seats to expose the engine and its auxiliary systems, like the seconary air injection pump.

Be very careful with your hands, clothes and hair when you start the engine.

If the noise is absent turn off the engine and reinstall the air pump fuse and let the engine cool again then run the test to verify the noise returns.

If the noise is present with the fuse removed then another test is remove the serpentine belt. Before you remove the belt note its direction of travel and its routing. Do not rely upon your memory. Make a sketch or take some high res pics. With the belt removed start the engine and see if the noise is present with the belt removed.

As an aside, since we do not know the history of the car and how in depth the PPI was think about removing the oil filter housing and carefully pouring the oil into a *clean* drain pan. Examine the oil carefully for any solid particles, of any material.

I do not think you'll find anything but it is better to be safe than sorry.

However, I note you're taking the car in to be serviced. A good tech should be able to diagnose the source of the noise. And you are much better off letting him, because of the dangers involved.

Be sure you can give him the necessary info to help him reproduce the symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Barn996 07-18-2011 03:41 PM

A 996 member posted a similar 'saw' sound from his Porsche and it was the air-pump. It's on the left side corner as you open the 996 engine lid, not sure on a Boxster. I think there was a vid/audio link. GL