Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 400 HP DFI Carrera S engine swap into 986 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 400 HP DFI Carrera S engine swap into 986 ?

Finally stopped procrastinating and got the project started, hence the boxster S engine for sale. Off to a slow start but it will come together after I rob a bank or two and several session with a shrink. Here are some pics to get started.
Name:  CIMG1566.jpg
Views: 7435
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  CIMG1573.jpg
Views: 5475
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  CIMG1597.jpg
Views: 4799
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  CIMG1704.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by harryrcb; 05-07-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:32 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

updates please...
Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Sorry, had to work to finance the project so did not get very far, lots of engine mods. Most of items bought from 2010 Cayman such as the coolant intake and return points on engine, other things like fuel lines, oil filler tube, front engine mount - Had to drill and tap block to facilitate the fourth bolt. Had to go with Assco flywheel and modify the pilot shaft bearing to bring it more to the rear (drilled and tapped holes to hold bearing with set screws) Biggest thing was to make a bolt pattern for trans mount and weld on trans for mount holes. had it all mated up and in car for test fit. Have a couple of issues to deal with such as the oil filter. and power steering pump tank.
Now I'm in the process of messing with the wire harness have it about 1/4 figured out and installed. Here are more pics of mostly my failures - bought the oil filter assy for the Cayman and would not fit without major machine work to t he block so back that went with a $150 restocking fee. OUCH!! then I purchased Cayman S exhaust and turns out the diameter is too small so I will be selling those Fabspeed set up if anyone is interested PM me. So I will keep plugging away. I did sell my old engine and am installing for the guy that purchased it. Should be done this week by Wed.
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Just found more pictures of the wire harness nightmare haha
Attached Images      
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

And a couple of more pics of the converted coolant intake and return plus the motor mount (slightly modified)
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

i just picked up my 3.6 so really i just have been interested. I thought the 2003/4 was a plug and play swap. Especially with the 7.8
Old 04-10-2011, 11:58 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. This is not a 3.4 it's an 09 3.8 DFI Carrera S motor putting out 385 hp at the crank before mods like exhaust, intake and DME tuning which will bring it up to about 420 hp. In 09 all the engines changed , no more IMS to worry about but unfortunately a lot of other things changed with it, they went to Siemens electronics so I cannot use the Bosch to control the engine. With the DME you must have the immobilizer, key, steering lock and gages to make it work , so from my standpoint I thought it might be easier to replace the whole harness, I might be wrong but seeing that no one else has done it yet I'm on my own to figure it all out.
I don't know what year or model your car is so I cannot help you all I can tell you is that from 08 down you have a very good chance of swapping engines from almost any car to yours and from 09-11 same thing applies there (almost) I have done about 5 months research and still don't know everything but I'm still learning
BTW you are right about 03-04 in Boxster are the same.
The following users liked this post:
dak996 (09-19-2019)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:28 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

yea, for some reason i assumed it was a 2004 carrera s motor
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
yea, for some reason i assumed it was a 2004 carrera s motor
OK, you should not have an issue other then swapping some parts from your engine to the new engine such as engine wire harness, oil fill tube, intake and return on the coolanat pipes, flipe the throttle body around to face backwards and there might be some fuel rail issues but relatively minor. There are plenty of writeups on the pelican forum. good luck and have fun
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

So let me see if I follow here. You're saying that the bellhousing bolt pattern on the DFI Carrera engine is the same as the non-DFI engine, as well as your Boxster? That's a very interesting tidbit of information because the DFI Cayman/Boxster engines have a different bolt pattern than the earlier cars.
The following users liked this post:
dak996 (09-19-2019)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You're a madman Harry!

Keep the updates coming. Great project.

The wiring looks a bit scary. You've got *****!

Your Boxster is going to be incredible when it's done. Should be a rocket.

You'll be able to STOMP Spyders.

Phil
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
So let me see if I follow here. You're saying that the bellhousing bolt pattern on the DFI Carrera engine is the same as the non-DFI engine, as well as your Boxster? That's a very interesting tidbit of information because the DFI Cayman/Boxster engines have a different bolt pattern than the earlier cars.
no you did not read it right or I wrote it wrong 4 out seven bolts fit the other 3 I had to weld bungs on the housing of the 986 for the mount bolts all the 08 and earlier cars are the same ( not turbo's) (I'm talking carrera, boxster, cayman)and all the 09-11 cars have the same block or bolt pattern 997-987-987C. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollingArt
You're a madman Harry!
Keep the updates coming. Great project.
The wiring looks a bit scary. You've got *****!
Your Boxster is going to be incredible when it's done. Should be a rocket.
You'll be able to STOMP Spyders.
Phil
believe it or not I had no problems with Spyders with my old engine, I had it up to 310 hp which is only 10 hp short of Spydie. My superior skills made up for the weight difference hahaha. No really. Yah thanks, this should be a fun car. I'm just wish I were done already. Will be getting back on track (so to speak) next week and working on my car once again.
Madman? nah, I'm totally nuts, just ask anyone who knows me. Hence " the crazy Austrian" avatar.
thanks for the encourgment Phil
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by harryrcb
no you did not read it right or I wrote it wrong 4 out seven bolts fit the other 3 I had to weld bungs on the housing of the 986 for the mount bolts all the 08 and earlier cars are the same ( not turbo's) (I'm talking carrera, boxster, cayman)and all the 09-11 cars have the same block or bolt pattern 997-987-987C. Sorry for the confusion.
I'd love to see pictures of the modifications when you have a spare moment. No hurry since my project isn't moving with any speed. But sometime when you're shooting other pictures, one or two of your modifications would be appreciated.

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Talking

Hi Matt, lately there is no spare time trying to restock the old bank account a little. Here is what I got so far.
the first step was to fit the trans to the engine , four of the mount holes lined up perfectly the other three did not. I had make a template of the engine bolt holes then transfer them to the transmission and weld on some pungs for mount holes. Additionally found (before welding) that the bell housing was not completely round and had to grind a little here and there to get it to not interfere with the flywheel. Modified the flywheel by moving the pilot bearing to the rear edge and drilling and tapping 2 holes to hold the bearing in with set screws. Had to drill and tap one of the front engine mount holes in the block(a little scary) then had to relocate the hole on the body part of the engine mount. and reinforced a little. Still working on cleaning up the top of the engine I will take pics of that next week. Picture may be a little out of sequence but you will figure it out.
Attached Images             

Quick Reply: 09 400 HP DFI Carrera S engine swap into 986 ?