Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want more power. Maybe upgrade to the S model?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 AM
mikstew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want more power. Maybe upgrade to the S model?

I love the boxster. I do not want a different car.

But I need more go-ponies. I see two options: bolt-ons, or sell and upgrade to the S. With my current car, I can get 29 BHP for about $1000. But I am really limited to just that, so 230 hp will be the upper limit. But with the S, I get at least 250, at a heftier price.

So my other option is to sell the car. What do you guys think I could get for it? I listed the specs in another thread but here they are again.

1998 Boxster 2.5L 45K miles
Silver on Boxster Red
"Fully loaded"
Sport package (turbo-look wheels, other trim)
Carbon fiber steering wheel, dash, and door trim
Aluminim shift **** and and brake
M030 sport suspension
Premium sound
Windstop.
Other factory options.

Car is all original, except for the front headlights which were changed for non-fried eggers. Immaculate inside and out and I mean that. Clean title. And I have every service record from the porsche dealer since day one (which includes some good things like the clutch!)

These unique factory options must command somewhat of a price premium, no? What do you think
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
ATL986
Intermediate

I don't know. One of those TPC turbo kits sounds pretty nice. It might be the way I go.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Buy the '04 S engine that harryrcb has for sale in this forum. You get to keep your pristine car, get a bump up to 310 Hp and can keep your 2.5 as a spare or sell it to offset some of the cost of the new engine.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Ya I thought about that but I don't have the time or the space presently to do that swap.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

If you're in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I can do the swap for you. Might even be interested in buying the 2.5.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
mikstew
Advanced

I am not in Dallas but I could send the car there. What would you offer for the 2.5?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikstew
I am not in Dallas but I could send the car there. What would you offer for the 2.5?
Not sure that it would be cost effective to ship both the car and the new engine to DFW for the swap. The seller (harryrcb) stated that he'll do the install and warranty it for 30 days. I'd suggest that you just ship your car to him and have him do the swap. Make sure that it includes the ECU because I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that you'll need to replace yours with the Boxster S unit. Also, the early boxsters used a throttle cable and the later ones were e-throttle. Not impossible to overcome but something you should be aware of.

If you decide to replace your 2.5 send me a PM when its out of the car if you want to sell it and we can discuss price.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

boost it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
racer
Drifting

My biased value of your current car is $11-13K, if you wait for a buyer or sell to someone in the local paper who "just wants a nice convertible for spring". And I have seen Boxster S's anywhere from $12-18K (for genI, if you will), but it likely won't be as nicely optioned as the one you plan to sell.

How much is the "budget", for either upgrades to existing or changing to an "S"?

For an early car, a 3.4 swap seems like the way to go. I am sure there are shops who would do the work if you don't have the time/space yourself, AND if you really like your current 986.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

My thought

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...%27tfastenough

It all depends on what you want to spend. But there are no cheap approaches.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I love the boxster. I do not want a different car.

But I need more go-ponies. I see two options: bolt-ons, or sell and upgrade to the S. With my current car, I can get 29 BHP for about $1000. But I am really limited to just that, so 230 hp will be the upper limit. But with the S, I get at least 250, at a heftier price.

So my other option is to sell the car. What do you guys think I could get for it? I listed the specs in another thread but here they are again.

1998 Boxster 2.5L 45K miles
Silver on Boxster Red
"Fully loaded"
Sport package (turbo-look wheels, other trim)
Carbon fiber steering wheel, dash, and door trim
Aluminim shift **** and and brake
M030 sport suspension
Premium sound
Windstop.
Other factory options.

Car is all original, except for the front headlights which were changed for non-fried eggers. Immaculate inside and out and I mean that. Clean title. And I have every service record from the porsche dealer since day one (which includes some good things like the clutch!)

These unique factory options must command somewhat of a price premium, no? What do you think
Sell your current car and buy an S.

I can't comment with any degree of confidence on your car's value.

But I can almost assure you the long term cheaper solution is to sell your car and buy an S for more power.

Aftermarket hot rod parts are expensive and can deliver less than advertised HP and with ongoing problems, too.

Besides, to deliver any meaningful hp over its stock output the engine is going to be overstressed, and engine life may be short.

For instance, in order to realize a 50hp gain (at the rear wheels) from a supercharger the engine might need to produce 75 or more hp because that supercharger requires considerable hp to spin.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 03-08-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: changed 'engine light' to 'engine life'
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

But I need more go-ponies.
Why do you need more power? Are you tracking the car? DE? Racing? Or just looking for more something quicker on the street? To decide on the right upgrades, you should have a goal in mind for the car. It is also important to define your budget and stick to it - this is a slippery slope.

If it's just a street car, I'd suggest upgrading to an S or buying another well-documented early Boxster that already has done a 3.4L or other swap as it will cost you less in the long run.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Your car sounds great and in the classic color combination. Keep it and buy Harrycb's 310 HP motor or have your engine rebuilt to even greater HP and torque specs, if 260 RWHP isn't enough. It would cost you 15 to 20k to get 300 RWHP by increasing displacement using L&N P&C + all the rest of the upgrades. The price of the engine for sale right now with the upgrades he's done is a smoking deal. You might get equal or more HP by slapping on a turbo, but it isn't likely advisable for the long term health of your stock motor. That being said, a cold air intake and light weight flywheel might just provide the sensations you crave without much of an increase of anything other than perception, and for a lot less $.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Ok so this is what I've done and why:

I purchased intake, headers and muffler. I will get 20-25 RWHP from these mods alone. Please don't start the "omg intakes dont grant hp argument". Seeing as how my profession is as a research engineer, I'd like to think I have done my research on this. Total cost: 655$

My alternative was to get the S at a cost of 2,000, and lose all the options I adore on my car. Did not seem worth it.

Furthermore, as I doubt 25 hp will be enough for me, I will probably want to put in a bigger engine eventually. Thus, again my current car presents itself as a much better option than paying 2-4K more for the S, and then putting in a new engine because 250 HP won't be enough either

Plus, with these particular mods, they can be easily transferred to the new engine when it comes. And let's be honest - what's the point of putting in a 3.4L without doing intake and exhaust at the same time to hear that nice throaty grumble

As a sidenote, I would never run forced induction on one of these M96 engines for a number of reasons. Specifically, increased IATs coupled with already high compression pistons sounds like a 2.5L grenade to me. Furthermore there is just no freakin room to work on these engines while in the car and it would drive me nuts trying to fit all the parts on. I've had enough cuts and bruises from twin-turboing my RX7.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Milkstew-

As an engineer I'm sure you would want to document and verify your assumptions. Would you please do a before and after dyno run??

Personally, I'm a little skeptical about the HP claims but I'm ready to be proven wrong....and if so I'll do it myself.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: I want more power. Maybe upgrade to the S model?