jacksonchelsey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....but still its worth having a porsche
Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
reiszce
4th Gear

"Someone such as Jake Raby could and should correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in 2005, Porsche changed the IMS bearing to one that CAN NOT be replaced without a complete engine dis-assembly."

Jake if you see it different, I would appreciate it if you let me know let me know. If quote is true guess my only action is to drive unless/until failure. I have enjoyed hell out of it but haven't driven much since they are dumping anti ice chemicals for ice/forecast of ice.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
Someone such as Jake Raby could and should correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in 2005, Porsche changed the IMS bearing to one that CAN NOT be replaced without a complete engine dis-assembly.
I believe 2006 & later has the larger IMS bearing that requires disassembly for removal.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
If the IMS bearing was the only problem, it wouldn't be that big if a deal. Most engines have one quirk or another. The M96 however has more than a few failure modes that require expensive repairs. D-chucked cylinders, dropped sleeves, heads that are prone to crack, rods that bend or break, AOS systems that fail and cause big issues....

Yeah, there are plenty of people who own the cars and never have any problems, but the "fear" that people have about engine failures is not based on myth and there IS a disproportionate amount of engine failures compared to most modern engines. There are fixes and rebuilds that can be done... but its not cheap and you could very easily spend over half the value of the car on a rebuilt engine.. and sometimes more than the value of the car depending on how many fixes you include.
IMO if you install the LN IMS bearing & cooler thermostat & change your oil & filter every 5k miles (Castrol Syntex) you have nothing to fear. I recently invested in my engine rebuild about the amount that my 2000 S was worth. Do I have any regrets? Only when traffic conditions prevent me from showing a 911 who's boss!
Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 PM
reiszce
4th Gear

"IMO if you install the LN IMS bearing & cooler thermostat & change your oil & filter every 5k miles (Castrol Syntex) you have nothing to fear."

My 2005 is not a "S" but it does have tiptronic which might complicate the Bearing Change. What is with the thermostat? If it needs changing is that a "biggie"? Normally I would think not. I am not a "do it your self type"
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default I wish

the IMS was the only point of failure in a 986 but it isn't so. One rebuilder says there are at least 21 failure modes/causes/parts he has identified. Says water pump failures take out as many M96s as IMSs do.

Which is not to say yours will fail or that all these failures occur on the street, etc. But saying just do this and that and you'll be fine is not facing reality IMHO. Stuff can happen with any engine. And many of these engines are 13 years old and have logged many miles.

By all means do the maintenance. But put money away just in case.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
reiszce
4th Gear

Default Thanks

Thanks to everybody for opinions/advice

Quick Reply: $11k Porsches??