Sponsored by:

“IMS” failure prevention

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 205 Posts

Great thread and pictures.

Great outcome, really, finding the new bearing installed.

Can you explain the photos a little more? Are those pictures all of the new-style LN engineeering bearing which you found on disassembly? Trying to learn here.

Does anybody have side-by-side photos of original parts vs. new ones as comparison?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Old stuff only

Landseer these parts came out of the 986.
Originally Posted by Landseer
Are those pictures all of the new-style LN engineeering bearing which you found on disassembly?

This is what we found already installed. Nothing was really gained by putting in the new bearing, but Charles at LN, says that is the way to bet. It cost about a thousand dollars more than the clutch job alone, including parts. The previous owner said nothing about IMS bearings and I got the price down because of it. I put at least fifteen thousand miles on the car treated with Microlon after that. Maybe the car was used as a spec racer back in the days when replacing the bearing was, well lets say less than competitive. By keeping the original cover it would have passed inspection as looking stock. In that case it would have been a very long time ago.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:14 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumflow
...This is what we found already on my car...The stock Emishaft intermediate shaft bearing cover, dual row bearing, with no outer seal...

...there is no slot in the center stud, and there is no groove or marks on the outside...

...The black bearing seal says Japan, IJK, 5204RS

...to have already installed LN Engineerings Intermediate Shaft Bearing Retrofit Kit, and hidden it behind the original cover...

...Maybe the car was used as a spec racer back in the days when replacing the bearing was, well lets say less than competitive. By keeping the original cover it would have passed inspection as looking stock...
This is very interesting.

I don't think spec Boxster rules would a.) mind that you have a revised bearing since it doesn't provide a competitive advantage, but does improve reliability and safety, or b.) require an inspector to remove the transmission to inspect the flange. Spec boxster rules say:

"In general, modifications which improve aesthetics, access to systems, safety or reliability are allowed and encouraged provided they offer no performance advantage."

What you appear to have is a Porsche OE dual row bearing without the internal snap ring lock groove.

And an outer bearing seal as well as center stud from an LN engineering kit.

All of the LN engineering bearings I have seen have a plastic inner retainer, whereas the one you have has a metal retainer that is present on the stock bearing.

I am wondering if this is not LN engineering's kit, but some other kit (there are a few who have made their own solution or sourced their own bearings, such as one owner did on soloporsche IIRC.).

Pictured below are two bearings I have, the one on the left pictured is the original 1999 dual row bearing with inner metal retainer similar to yours. And the one on the right is the LN engineering dual row retrofit bearing, which has the plastic inner retainer.

When you remove the center support, on the back side of the bearing, are there any numbers or letters stamped on the flange of the inner race?

Last edited by logray; 11-29-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: “IMS” failure prevention