Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“IMS” failure prevention

Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
streaydog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
There was a post a few weeks ago, I think it was on the 987 forum, about a study that linked IMS failure to cars that were driven far too softly; seems that high rpms are require to properly lubricate the bearing. Cars that were tracked, or regularly "drove it like you stole it" rarely suffer IMS problems, whereas garage queens and babied cars suffered much higher rates.

Might as well err on the side of caution

Edit: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...che-email.html
Well let me say that I just bought my first Boxster. Its a 05 S. Love how this car drives and love how it sounds over 4 and 5k rpms. Wow. I got the extended warranty when I bought it because I didn't want to drive out and have a problem within the first month or so. But now I hear about IMS failure and I'm thinking I should get rid of this stinking warranty that I only bought because its a Porshe, and get that upgrade. Would it help if I drove this car on my daily commute to prevent problems? I don't think I have any problems with my clutch right now. Should I wait for next oil change? Let me know what you think? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Porsches are made to be driven

Porsches are made to be driven.
Originally Posted by streaydog
Would it help if I drove this car on my daily commute to prevent problems?
Drive it everywhere, all of the time, just do not lug the engine. Somebody recommended 2,500 rpm minimum but I find it hard to not drop down to 2,000 rpm sometimes. I like the instant throttle response between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm with the increased torque.

The Boxster inherits its twin-resonance air induction system from the 911 Carrera. The system acts as a “resonance supercharger,” allowing the engine to draw from higher velocity airflow at certain engine speeds. A crossover pipe connects the individual air collector/resonance chambers for each cylinder bank. A flap in the pipe remains closed from idle to about 3,100 rpm. When it opens, each cylinder bank can draw from airflow “excited” by the resonance created by alternating induction between all six cylinders. In essence, “dual resonance” creates two induction paths for each cylinder. Below 3,000 rpm, the cylinders draw air from a “short” path.

From 3,000 rpm to about 5,100 rpm – when the resonance flap opens – the cylinders draw from a long intake path, which boosts torque. Above 5,100 rpm, the flap again closes to allow the cylinders to draw intake air from a shorter intake path to boost horsepower.
Attached Images
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The optimum is to drive it for at least as long as it takes to get the fluids warmed up every time you start it up. I hear of more problems with cars that have been on used car lots for months or are just being taken out of winter hibernation than I do of cars driven daily. When I worked, I absolutely drove the car every day the road temps would allow me to drive it given that I only had summer tires. Even today, the CRV gets the 1 mile trips, the Boxster gets the dozen mile ones.

Last edited by mikefocke; 03-29-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM
clickman
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streaydog
Well let me say that I just bought my first Boxster. Its a 05 S. I got the extended warranty when I bought it because I didn't want to drive out and have a problem within the first month or so. But now I hear about IMS failure and I'm thinking I should get rid of this stinking warranty that I only bought because its a Porshe, and get that upgrade.
Just be aware that, although in theory the 2005 MY can have the IMS replacement done externally, the later-style IMS design has been found in some 2005's. That means splitting the engine case to do it, which of course = $$$.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the LN bearing for my 99 with 114k. No rattle but a few metal flakes last oil change, as soon as it finishes I'll post pictures :-)
Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just completed the swap here are some pictures:

Engine Pre-swap.

The New new LN bearing in place.

Old bearing out of the car.

This bearing had over 114k on it. When I pulled it it more or less seemed prefect, without any wobble or play. (Most of the miles on my car came from consistent highway driving, but of a few of the owners keep it as a garage too toy. Most recently I put 20k on it in about 6 months cruising down the freeway on my commute. It's somewhat annoying to have spent this much money on a seemly fine bearing but the piece of mind is certainly nice.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:54 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

I bought an '02 986 S with 57k and had RUF do the IMS and clutch immediately.
Yeah, it cost a few bucks but it's good insurance.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Has anybody got recommendations for an independant repair outfit that does ims replacement for my 2001 Boxster in Western Canada? I live in Edmonton. No problems yet but am looking at it as a preventative measure.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:13 AM
ChuckR
1st Gear

Default Porsche Service Western Canada

Check out Alpine Auto Werks in SW Calgary for service, he does about 80% Porsche service in addition to other European makes.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Prevention...good new oil all the time is your best defense but even that isn't a sure thing. There is an aftermarket pre-failure detection kit coming out from www.flat6innovations.com. Search the products section...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 PM
whitegold
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What is the labor involved in changing out the IMS?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this only apply to manual transmissions?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

The chance of an IMS bearing failure is present on 5 speed, 6 speed and Tiptronic transmission cars.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Brockmeister
Intermediate

Any good reccomendations on a shop her in the DC metro area?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb IMS: what we found inside

When the inner bearing seal deteriorates because of heat, the oil washes the permanent grease out of the bearings case. At low RPMs speed is not high enough to develop an elastohydrodynamic film to overcome surface irregularities. This metal-to-metal contact, leads to the failure of the IMS bearing and subsequently to a blown engine because the cam timing is off. Little is known about the history of my car, so after all the scare story’s floating around Boxster forums, during a recent clutch installation, on #620323 probably the 323 American Boxster, 68,000 miles. There is a shop here in Hawaii that replaced it as preventative maintenance with LNs lightweight ceramic hybrid bearing, made with tool steel races, and Timken sintered silicon nitride ultra-low friction roller *****. It took about two hours plus the clutch job. Combined with the lack of rear grease seals, the new bearing is lubricated by splash, as well as submersion lubrication. Ceramic is designed specifically for poor lubrication, and high heat.This is what we found already on my car.

The stock Emishaft intermediate shaft bearing cover, dual row bearing, with no outer seal.

You can see that there is no slot in the center stud, and there is no groove or marks on the outside.

The black bearing seal says Japan, IJK, 5204RS

It seems that one of the previous owners cared enough about the car to have already installed LN Engineerings Intermediate Shaft Bearing Retrofit Kit, and hidden it behind the original cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: “IMS” failure prevention