Sponsored by:

Weird convertible top behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Heiko
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird convertible top behavior

My convertible top has been behaving strange for a while now and hope someone else out there has had the same experience and knows what it could be. When i first got my boxster everything with the top worked like a dream, now when i want to open my convertible top the engine has to be off for some reason, i use to be able to open it when the engine was running and now its kind of annoying/lame to have to turn the engine off to open/close it. Also i've never forgotten about raising the hand brake before doing so, what is going on? Thanks in advance
Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
racer
Drifting

Handbrake needs to be up.. it triggers a sensor that then allows the top to be lowered. On mine, I had intermittant top operation because the switch under the parking brake was failing. Part was cheap and replacement was'nt bad to do either.

You shouldn't have to have the car turned off.. but the parking brake does need to be on, unless someone put in an aftermarket controller. My guess is that by having the car "off", you are fooling a failed sensor into saying its ok to open/close.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Heiko
AutoX

I just finished putting my car back together, you were right racer it was a dirty n also failing hand brake switch. i took it off and opened it to clean it up a bit, it had some soda hat found its way in. I reconected and fused back the little plastic retainer that holds it still and it worked again. It will need to be replaced enentually though. Thanks

Quick Reply: Weird convertible top behavior