Racing Boxster's? Where are you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts
Default My Boxilla

Here's my ride. Thanks to Christian (Verbotn) on RL, I got a great deal on PSS9's and GT3 seats. I'm thinking he needs to move to a Cup Car and give me a similar deal on his "mini-GT3"

My other mods include Pagid yellow pads, GT3 brake ducts, GT3 master cylinder, ss brake lines,separate set of wheels/R compound tires, B&M short shift. Brey Krause rollover bar, 6 point harness, Sports Exhaust. I do one DE/month on average along with the occasional autocross.

BTW, I usually trailer this to the events. My back can't take more than an hour street driving.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
looks cool, i would be interested in chatting about your wing, shoot me a PM. Mine is in the process of being track optimized.
Will do.

Love the looks of the GT3R front bumper on your car. That'll be my next bumper, when I need one.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Currently building 2 Box S models, both will be stock 3.2 motors. Well....... kinda stock........ ok, maybe not stock....... ok, not at all stock !
The rest will be pretty standard upgraded stuff, complete custom cages like I always do,new susp. with monoballs, big functional wings too, etc, etc.
I'll get some pictures to follow later.

Hey how did you set up the top adjuster for the Motons with the rear MODE's ? I am thinking of just cutting a hole in the clamshell on mine for easy access. Then cover it with a sticker or tape for looks.
Sounds like a familiar formula!

With the Mode plates / Moton's in the back, the top of the adjuster BARELY clears the sheet metal in the back, and can be reached from inside the car. It's tight. It's also pretty easy to remove the hard top (at least with a factory top) lift up the clamshell, and reach in there. Although, if you put some big holes in things, the car gets lighter!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
You guys seem to know so much about it, mind if I ask you a question? What do you recomend I improve in my wife's 03S tip with factory M030 to make it more track friendly. I would like to tighten the car a lot, stiffen the suspension a bit, get some air into the engine and change the exhaust while I am at it. Lets say I wanna spend $5K. What does that get me?

It also has PSM, 18" hollow Turbo rims. I have changed brake fluid to racing blue, but brakes still feel like shiite.

P.S. Please dont say DE. I've done quite a few. I dont wanna race, just make the car feel more planted and alive.

Thanks fellows.
For a street car that's going to feel 'good' and 'sporty', I like putting in the H&R sway bars and a set of Bilstein PSS9/10 shocks. Don't set the car too low (most people do, but the PSS shocks don't like it, and neither does the rest of your car's geometry). Get some good tires and a good alignment. If the car has over 80,000 Km, I'd probably change out the transmission mounts with a new set of original Porsche ones (you'll be surprised how much difference it makes).

Don't bother trying to make more power, it's a waste of time buying intakes / exhausts for these cars unless it's REALLY modified. The exhausts also tend to be incredibly, annoyingly headache inducing on top of not giving you more power.

For brakes, the original brakes are the best thing for the street. I'd consider stainless lines to improve feel a bit, but that's all.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

I started building my car with the intent of it being a Spec Boxster car, but nobody in the Pacific Northwest seemed interested in the class, so I got out of control. I love the Spec Boxster idea, but it just wasn't going to be fun racing with myself, so I built something faster (and, unfortunately, a lot more expensive...that wasn't the original idea, again, but I digress).
Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCAN Automotive
....If the car has over 80,000 Km,..
Thanks for the advice.

Actually, you guys PPI'd this car a few months ago. A lady from the states drove up in a dark blue Boxster S with 100K miles on it. You didn't find much wrong with it (except for the rear pads and sway bar bushings) so I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped. Thanks. Love the car. Now I wanna start building a Gocartster.

Will H&R sway bars be a significant improvement over OEM M030 bars that are already stiffer than regular ones?

P.S. Changed the sway bar bushings, but it didn't fix rear end clunk over bumps. Someone recomended I change the control arms. What do you think?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, you guys PPI'd this car a few months ago. A lady from the states drove up in a dark blue Boxster S with 100K miles on it. You didn't find much wrong with it (except for the rear pads and sway bar bushings) so I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped. Thanks. Love the car. Now I wanna start building a Gocartster.

Will H&R sway bars be a significant improvement over OEM M030 bars that are already stiffer than regular ones?

P.S. Changed the sway bar bushings, but it didn't fix rear end clunk over bumps. Someone recomended I change the control arms. What do you think?
Glad that it's working well for you!

I like the H&R bars. They have a bit more rate than the M030 bars, and pair really well with the Bilstein kit.

On your clunk issue, it's possible that several other things could be causing this problem (sway bar bushes being a common problem on higher mileage for creaking, etc.). These include, but are not limited to: Sway bar links, shock mounts, control arms, or loose components. I'd probably try the sway bar links first, if there isn't anything else obvious.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Hopefully I'll have something valuable to add to your thread next summer

Stan
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys seem to know so much about it, mind if I ask you a question? What do you recomend I improve in my wife's 03S tip with factory M030 to make it more track friendly. I would like to tighten the car a lot, stiffen the suspension a bit, get some air into the engine and change the exhaust while I am at it. Lets say I wanna spend $5K. What does that get me?

It also has PSM, 18" hollow Turbo rims. I have changed brake fluid to racing blue, but brakes still feel like shiite.

P.S. Please dont say DE. I've done quite a few. I dont wanna race, just make the car feel more planted and alive.

Thanks fellows.
$5k should get you what you want, I assume its not an "S" , but for suspension you can get the ROW 030 which stiffens it up lowers it a little but retains that comfortable street ride, then I would get the Softronic tune to give you exstra hp and torque, now depending on wether or not you do your own work you should have enough money for cold air intake and exhaust, so many choices that it has to be your decision. brakes are another issue, either brakes from a 996 or 986 S would do nicely.
I have an S and do my own work but once you start it becomes addictive and I'm having trouble knowing when to stop, so it's a work in progress.
Name:  CIMG1396.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  CIMG1401.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  Finished1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  68.3 KB

[youtube]kSaz17vWKTk[/youtube]
Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
reimair
1st Gear

Picked up a 98 Boxster here in Victoria for the track. At this point have removed most everything not needed for the track. Presently down over 600 lbs. Have autocrossed it last summer and now needs to have suspension and cage work done. Not a pretty car but very functional and affordable.
Thinking that I would like to remove the power steering system which would also allow me to simplify the engine drive system substantially. Any advice on this. New to forum. will send pictures when able
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

I'll play.
My car is a 99 Spec Box. I don't race but I'm considering it. The car is an absolute blast to drive.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride, do you know what it ways?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by harryrcb
Nice ride, do you know what it ways?
Thanks. She's still heavy at around 2600. Spec Box allows 2650 including driver. As I'm not racing the car I'm slowly working on the weight problem (the car and me).
Old 12-24-2010, 02:06 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCAN Automotive
Sounds like a familiar formula!

With the Mode plates / Moton's in the back, the top of the adjuster BARELY clears the sheet metal in the back, and can be reached from inside the car. It's tight. It's also pretty easy to remove the hard top (at least with a factory top) lift up the clamshell, and reach in there. Although, if you put some big holes in things, the car gets lighter!
I did speak to Moton regarding this issue on our cars and I bet in the future it will be addressed. It's not an issue on a car with stock clamshell top, but when you start bolting down the clamshell and hardtop it kinda becomes a pain.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple pics of the one of the two Boxsters that I am currently building, it will be on track in January.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Racing Boxster's? Where are you guys?