Sponsored by:

2003 986 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 PM
DRMC911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 986 clutch

This is my firs post on the forum and unfortunately it's not a good one, I was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on clutch problems. I drove to work and back aprox 60mile round trip with no problems, about 1hr later i jumped in the car to run to pick up daughter from work, drove away from the house with no problems, but when i pulled out on to the main road, i shifted from 1st to 2nd, and when i wet to put it in 3rd it would not go in, so i tried down shifting and it would not go in any gear, and at that time i realized the clutch pedal was stuck about 1/4 of the way down, i pulled it up with my foot and then i pulled in to a store parking lot near by and stopped, i pushed the clutch in and it would go it and shifted to all gear with no problems or weird noises. i left in first gear and when i went to shift in to 2nd it would not go in, so i turned back in to the neighborhood and stopped again and it worked fine, so i decided to go home and i could not shift past first, and when i pushed the clutch in and let the car coast down and i went the let the clutch out i would make a weird noise so i would almost come to a stop and let the clutch out and just drove about 1/2 mile in 1st gear very slow. now the car has only 53,000 + or - 200 miles. Any ideas on this, this is my second standard vehicle and the first i drove for 100,00 + mile with no clutch issues.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess a pressure plates issue. Time for a new clutch kit
Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opens the door for LWFW and other goodies.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

just put a new clutch in my 02 986S at 65K miles. Apparently not uncommon..... IMS seals looked good and left it alone.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DRMC911
This is my firs post on the forum and unfortunately it's not a good one, I was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on clutch problems. I drove to work and back aprox 60mile round trip with no problems, about 1hr later i jumped in the car to run to pick up daughter from work, drove away from the house with no problems, but when i pulled out on to the main road, i shifted from 1st to 2nd, and when i wet to put it in 3rd it would not go in, so i tried down shifting and it would not go in any gear, and at that time i realized the clutch pedal was stuck about 1/4 of the way down, i pulled it up with my foot and then i pulled in to a store parking lot near by and stopped, i pushed the clutch in and it would go it and shifted to all gear with no problems or weird noises. i left in first gear and when i went to shift in to 2nd it would not go in, so i turned back in to the neighborhood and stopped again and it worked fine, so i decided to go home and i could not shift past first, and when i pushed the clutch in and let the car coast down and i went the let the clutch out i would make a weird noise so i would almost come to a stop and let the clutch out and just drove about 1/2 mile in 1st gear very slow. now the car has only 53,000 + or - 200 miles. Any ideas on this, this is my second standard vehicle and the first i drove for 100,00 + mile with no clutch issues.
Bad clutch. I could offer guesses but regardless you'll need to access the clutch or have someone do this and the problem should be self-evident.

If you want beforehand check out the hydraulic line from the brake fluid reservior and the clutch slave cylinder. Underneath the dash and under the cowl covers inspect the clutch pedal hardware linkage looking for anything that might be causing the symptom.

As a last resort, unless it has been done recently, you might do a brake fluid flush and bled and then do the clutch slave cylinder last of all. Long shot, but as I said unless this has been done recently (and maybe even if it has been done recently cause maybe it was not done right?) you might want to consider it.

You might avoid spending the money to tear into the clutch when it was a very old fluid problem.

In short you want to see if there's anything outside of the inside of the bellhousig that could accont for the clutch behavior before you remove the tranny and access the clutch hardware proper.

Clutch life all over the map with these cars. I've been very fortunate and my 02 Boxster's clutch still going strong after almost 232K miles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually sounds to me more like a master cylinder problem, like there's air in the clutch lines
Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on leaky master or slave, IMO.

Insite - got any LTGP days coming up?

Cheers
Randy
Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
+1 on leaky master or slave, IMO.

Insite - got any LTGP days coming up?

Cheers
Randy
not anytime soon; still down with a blown motor. HOWEVER, my 3.4L just arrived friday. i plan to build it out a bit w/ some longevity mods, then in she goes!
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insite - good luck with the project. You'll love it when you're done!
Cheers
Randy

Quick Reply: 2003 986 clutch