Sponsored by:

price check: 02 S w/90k

Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944 View Post
In Kentucky, the dealer has to tell you who owned it and give you their phone number. I called the PO on the lot when I was looking at a BMW to ask why he traded it in. He had no skin in the game so he could be straight up with me.
Kentucky one of the rare ones then. Most places privacy laws come into play and my experience is to not bother to ask. It puts the dealer's people off cause they're always concerned about privacy.

I don't care who owned the car I just want to know what services/repairs it had and when.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update:
car had some undisclosed cosmetic issues, and was showing some oil 'wetness' on the tray. it drove well, and no over heating issues, but we we were about 2k away on price...

I just wanted to say thanks for those that offered advise!

The search continues...
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 PM
judd944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Kentucky one of the rare ones then. Most places privacy laws come into play and my experience is to not bother to ask. It puts the dealer's people off cause they're always concerned about privacy.

I don't care who owned the car I just want to know what services/repairs it had and when.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Our 7 we bought from the dealer had the BMW phone it the car with all they guys phone numbers in it. The Nav had his home address in it and they glovebox had the paperwork when he bought the car! it showed his lease payment as only $1200 per month even with a trade in. Yikes!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944 View Post
Our 7 we bought from the dealer had the BMW phone it the car with all they guys phone numbers in it. The Nav had his home address in it and they glovebox had the paperwork when he bought the car! it showed his lease payment as only $1200 per month even with a trade in. Yikes!
In one the car mags I read there was a mention of a used car buyer finding finding sensitive personal data -- phone numbers and contact info -- left in a traded-in car's phone system and addresses of his home, business, and other locations in its navigation unit.

That this stuff exists in a car when it is bought from a dealer doesn't give me the warm fuzzies regarding the completeness of the car check out and prep.

One would think the selling dealer would have its tech clear these out and at least look through the glove box for if not lease records and other personal sensitive data some spare change.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 AM
judd944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know, it is almost as if we bought someone's car that they had in there for service. I looked under the seat for a pistol. (no luck)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: