Sponsored by:

price check: 02 S w/90k

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
In Kentucky, the dealer has to tell you who owned it and give you their phone number. I called the PO on the lot when I was looking at a BMW to ask why he traded it in. He had no skin in the game so he could be straight up with me.
Kentucky one of the rare ones then. Most places privacy laws come into play and my experience is to not bother to ask. It puts the dealer's people off cause they're always concerned about privacy.

I don't care who owned the car I just want to know what services/repairs it had and when.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

update:
car had some undisclosed cosmetic issues, and was showing some oil 'wetness' on the tray. it drove well, and no over heating issues, but we we were about 2k away on price...

I just wanted to say thanks for those that offered advise!

The search continues...
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
Kentucky one of the rare ones then. Most places privacy laws come into play and my experience is to not bother to ask. It puts the dealer's people off cause they're always concerned about privacy.

I don't care who owned the car I just want to know what services/repairs it had and when.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Our 7 we bought from the dealer had the BMW phone it the car with all they guys phone numbers in it. The Nav had his home address in it and they glovebox had the paperwork when he bought the car! it showed his lease payment as only $1200 per month even with a trade in. Yikes!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
Our 7 we bought from the dealer had the BMW phone it the car with all they guys phone numbers in it. The Nav had his home address in it and they glovebox had the paperwork when he bought the car! it showed his lease payment as only $1200 per month even with a trade in. Yikes!
In one the car mags I read there was a mention of a used car buyer finding finding sensitive personal data -- phone numbers and contact info -- left in a traded-in car's phone system and addresses of his home, business, and other locations in its navigation unit.

That this stuff exists in a car when it is bought from a dealer doesn't give me the warm fuzzies regarding the completeness of the car check out and prep.

One would think the selling dealer would have its tech clear these out and at least look through the glove box for if not lease records and other personal sensitive data some spare change.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know, it is almost as if we bought someone's car that they had in there for service. I looked under the seat for a pistol. (no luck)

Quick Reply: price check: 02 S w/90k