Sponsored by:

Looking at '00 S - any "gotchas?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at '00 S - any "gotchas?"

Looking at a 2000 Boxster S - are there any issues particular to this MO? I know it's the first year for the "S" - were there any critical updates in '01?
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:47 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this link...and good luck!

http://www.986faq.com
Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Looking at a 2000 Boxster S - are there any issues particular to this MO? I know it's the first year for the "S" - were there any critical updates in '01?
Thanks.
There's a few things to be concerned about.

See here for some tips on what to look for:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...oxsterwebpages

Also here:

http://www.motorsportreport.com/inde...=1:latest-news

Learn about the issues for this model but don't overlook the fact the car's going on 10-11 years old and is just a used car. Try to eliminate the car for anything unacceptable regardless if it is a Boxster.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Thanks Macster and VGM - Mike's site I am familiar with, the other I was not. I'm having a PPI done this afternoon by a well respected independent shop - I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
grayman
Advanced

Now that we have a 996 turbo, we may consider selling the Boxster S (or even the 944 turbo S)

You know how to contact us.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Hey;
Just saw this post - You bet!
and I want to see the Turbo!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
grayman
Advanced

Hey;
Just saw this post - You bet!
and I want to see the Turbo!

.......And now, the bi-polar "better half" is having second thoughts about selling the boxster.

She also mentioned the gang may be getting together in Mansfield this weekend?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by grayman
.......And now, the bi-polar "better half" is having second thoughts about selling the boxster.

She also mentioned the gang may be getting together in Mansfield this weekend?
As the previous owner of a TT and current owner of a Boxster S, I'd say your wife is quite discerning in her sports car taste! I'm sure she was similarly discriminating in her choice of a mate.

P.S. I loved the TT, but for a pure sports car experience, the Box has the TT beat hands down.

Mansfield...brings back memories of holiday trips to the relatives house from Lima where I grew up. Ahhhh, Lima, the armpit of the midwest.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
grayman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
As the previous owner of a TT and current owner of a Boxster S, I'd say your wife is quite discerning in her sports car taste! I'm sure she was similarly discriminating in her choice of a mate.

P.S. I loved the TT, but for a pure sports car experience, the Box has the TT beat hands down.

Mansfield...brings back memories of holiday trips to the relatives house from Lima where I grew up. Ahhhh, Lima, the armpit of the midwest.

I do like the Boxster S, but it was she who got the bug for a TT. The whole "i've wanted a 911 since I was a kid" thing.

We were just in FLA last week for the Spacecoast Region's "Sunrise to Sunset" Rally. A great time. Our third year. Fantastic reception at Porsche of Melbourne. Sunrise buffet on the beach at the hotel. 300 mile rally, then dinner in Clearwater. (a bit nicer than Mansfield or Lima, for sure)

We took the TT (x50 tip) and all I can say is, man, what a ride. Have not driven the 944 Turbo S or Boxster S since being in the TT, but the Volvo S60R feels like an absolute slug now.

And as far as her being discriminating in her choice of a mate? Well, all I can say is, if it were not for duct tape and Smith & Wesson, I don't think she would have agreed to marry me. She loves Porsches and racing (cant get her away from the track when ALMS and Grand Am are in town) so I definately got the better end of the deal.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Mark;
Stop that! These two are collecting a dream P-car garage. How much fun are two people allowed to have? (ok-don't answer that).
And Mansfield's not all that bad, compared to...umm, let's see....oh, Lima.
D- see you in Mansfield Saturday.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 PM
grayman
Advanced

Mark;
Stop that! These two are collecting a dream P-car garage. How much fun are two people allowed to have? (ok-don't answer that).
And Mansfield's not all that bad, compared to...umm, let's see....oh, Lima.
D- see you in Mansfield Saturday.
Yes, the stable is shaping up. A rear engine, front engine and mid engine Porsche.

See you Saturday
Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

You're not parting with your 911 are you Alan?

I've got a 00 plain boxster and about to hit 90k with it. i've driven it in snow ever year since 03 and it's pretty much daily driven. been a good car. from what i was told, the S tranney is more liveable for traffic and town as the ratios are little closer and less hunting for gears. the slightly larger displacement is good too.

I've replaced the AOS and water pump as well as other items and it's no biggie with a lift..

p.s. my 44 race car is gonna get inspection here soon for nasa log book. already got the #'s (444)

tom
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Good deal, Tom. Look forward to seeing the car on track. At least you didn't choose 999.
Yea, I've got Boxster fever now - just trying to find the right one. But I'm not letting the 911 go (yet).
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Boxster is awsome all round car so you'll not be dissappointed. It will shift 200% smoother then the 911 and the trunk space is great if you were to do a trip in it.

Use plain old carnuba wax on the rear window and it will never yellow on you.(wax it inside and out)

There's a red clip you can buy so when the top is down, the interior motion sensors stay on(microswitch above the rearview mirror gets engaged to activate them).

I've yanked all 4 cats from mine. replaced the headers with cheap ones and modified the o2 placement. gutted the muffler. it's really sweet sounding now. Changing plugs was way easier then doing the 911 plugs. and the ac works great ;P

you'll be happy once you find one to your taste.

tom
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tom. The search continues.
I'd really like to do the exhaust mods. These things do need more sound - you've got to look at the tach to shift!

Quick Reply: Looking at '00 S - any "gotchas?"