Check engine light boxster 968

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
drelliot2001
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Check engine light boxster 968

Hello,

I am having a problem with my check engine light, (with my durametric diagnostic software have found it is just a check engine diagnosis code "fault code 165 check engine warning light") . My boxster 2000, 968, 2.7L., initial problem.
Begining features of fault, sudden change of power(lack
of), or, (letting go of power). After that continuos mid to
low rpm and stalling of engine. Directly after (one day), accepted into shop.
Diagnosis from shop day one blown spark plug, day 2 timing chain tensioner/s have failed. Both diagnosis failed. After continually restarting and testing the engine seems fine. So at this point there has been no answer other than a faulty wiring or computer malfunction. My only conclusion is a bad ground.

So as a result I have replaced the DME. The car runs better, but to no avail I have not figured out why the engine light has come on and has stayed on. Please and thank you for any help.

drelliot2001
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by drelliot2001
Hello,

I am having a problem with my check engine light, (with my durametric diagnostic software have found it is just a check engine diagnosis code "fault code 165 check engine warning light") . My boxster 2000, 968, 2.7L., initial problem.
Begining features of fault, sudden change of power(lack
of), or, (letting go of power). After that continuos mid to
low rpm and stalling of engine. Directly after (one day), accepted into shop.
Diagnosis from shop day one blown spark plug, day 2 timing chain tensioner/s have failed. Both diagnosis failed. After continually restarting and testing the engine seems fine. So at this point there has been no answer other than a faulty wiring or computer malfunction. My only conclusion is a bad ground.

So as a result I have replaced the DME. The car runs better, but to no avail I have not figured out why the engine light has come on and has stayed on. Please and thank you for any help.

drelliot2001
Error code 165 (and not P0165 -- big difference) maps to P1691. Three words: Interruption in wiring.

The error points to an engine control module wiring to instrument cluster problem. Bad ground, as you mentioned, bad connection very likely.

Has anyone been under the dash? At the instrument cluster? Is a non-factory or aftermarket radio/stereo installed? What about an aftermarket security system? Alarm? Tracking device?

Does the interior of the car show any signs of water intrusion? The drains under the front cowl covers can get blocked with plant debris and rain or wash water can back up and flow into the cabin. There drain basins one on each side the top under the clam shell that can do the same.

The door/window seals can leak and allow water into the door and this can cause all sorts of odd behavior.

Check all carpets for any signs of dampness. Check under the driver's seat. Check the carpeted areas at the bottom of the doors. Give the doors a shake listening for any water sloshing.

Check the carpet in the rear trunk compartment for any dampness. The weather sealer can age and leak.

There are several tests given that involve using Porsche pin out box 9616 to check wiring harness.

Not sure what DME refers to. The tests given refer to the ECM (engine control module).

If you replaced or even touched the ECM you need to be sure it is properly inserted into its connectors.

You will probably at some point have to dig into the dash/instrument cluster to check the wiring and connections. It might be a bad ground as you metioned but it probably won't fix itself. You'll have to find it. Or a bad connector or a bare wire or whatever it is.

These kinds of problems are some of the toughest to sort out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
drelliot2001
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light 968

Thank you, I will check the those area's for water intrusion.

drelliot2001

Quick Reply: Check engine light boxster 968