Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Alignment of the rear bumper

Hi all,

I noticed that my rear bumper is not perfectly aligned at this specific spot:

You cannot really see it in the picture because I face it but when you look at it from a different angle you can see it. It is not terrible but not perfect and I would like to know if it can be fixed.

Can I simply bring it to any independant Porsche mechanic to have it properly aligned? Should I bring it to Porsche? Is it something difficult to do (i.e. I take a risk of making it worse if the guy does not know how to do it)?

Any idea of the cost of simply taking it out and putting it back correctly?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

What's the other side look like? I've never had the rear bumper cover off my 02 Boxster -- it has been off in fact has been replaced when driver on cell phone ran into the back of my car while I was stopped at a light -- but I've had the front one off several times and there is some adjustment.

The cover is just a big old plastic thing held in place with various screws/fasteners with a bit of adjustment. Shouldn't take much unless the car has received a bump unbeknownst to you.

A good body shop qualified to work on these cars should be able to help you. Be careful that you pick a good shop. A bad one one can make things worse.

In fact your local Porsche dealer's service department may be able to help you. I've seen cars in for various body work -- essentially removing damaged bumper covers and replacing then with new ones.

I can tell you a Porsche service department will get the cover back on right while body shops, unqualifed ones, will often not.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Macster!

The other side looks perfect and I had a chance to compare with another 986 S today, both sides looks good so there is definitely something not properly aligned on mine.

I saw that you are from the Bay Area and was initally planning to go see Aldo in San Francisco but I will go to the nearest dealer instead. Can you ballpark the time it will take them to adjust it?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by _Remi
Thanks Macster!

The other side looks perfect and I had a chance to compare with another 986 S today, both sides looks good so there is definitely something not properly aligned on mine.

I saw that you are from the Bay Area and was initally planning to go see Aldo in San Francisco but I will go to the nearest dealer instead. Can you ballpark the time it will take them to adjust it?

I don't know what the Aldo references but if you have a place you trust to adjust the bumper then no need to search out another place.

If you want to use a dealer service department you'll have to speak with a service manager and get a time estimate. He'll probably want to see the car so he can make an accurate estimate.

No way I can speak for the SM but I would think an hour would cover it. I watched a tech at Livermore Porsche remove the front bumper on my Turbo in just a few minutes and it took him about the same amount time to rput it back on again.

The rear bumper had to come off for the plugs -- had this done a week ago last Thursday -- but I wasn't there to time the job. But it didn't take long.

A tech can remove a bumper cover in his sleep.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Alignment of the rear bumper