Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   2002 Boxster S air conditioner not working:( (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/560913-2002-boxster-s-air-conditioner-not-working.html)

rabidewok 04-08-2010 12:39 PM

2002 Boxster S air conditioner not working:(

I just bought a 2002 Boxster S and I LOVE IT, but the air conditioner is not working. I took it for a free AC check and it was found to have plenty of freon. Has anyone had experience with this kind of problem before i take it in to a mechanic? Im trying to research and find out about relays etc.. that would make it go bad. Any help would be appreciated. It has the auto climate control and everything blows as it should, it simply doesnt blow cold. thanks in advance and i look forward to making a lot of friends here. jonathan

lilredpo 04-08-2010 01:48 PM

Sorry to state the obvious, but did you check the fuse box?

I think it is in location E-7. Bottom row (E), 7th in. 7.5amp.

There is also an AC Compressor relay in the rear truck panel.

Congrats and welcome to Rennlist!

rabidewok 04-08-2010 02:46 PM

I checked the fuse it was good, i ordered a relay that will be in this afternoon. hopefully that is the problem.

insite 04-08-2010 03:58 PM

i have the same issue in my 1999 and i've yet to resolve it. the compressor is good & freon level is fine. the coil is COLD, but for some reason, the cold air never gets to the vents.

Macster 04-08-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by insite (Post 7466708)
i have the same issue in my 1999 and i've yet to resolve it. the compressor is good & freon level is fine. the coil is COLD, but for some reason, the cold air never gets to the vents.

If some air coming out of the vents, in your car's case I suspect the air flap that controls the air flow through the A/C evaporator is not working and incoming air is not being directed to flow the A/C evaporator and thus is not cooled.

If you have an auto climate system the Porsche diagnostics computer can query the autoclimate control for diagnostics info that can help a tech trouble-shoot the problem. (I wouldn't be surprised that they have encountered this already and know just from the symptoms what's wrong.)

If you have a manual system you might be able to fool with the controls and by listening hear, or fail to hear, the various flaps being moved. They are usually quiet, but the mechanism that moves them can make some noise.

I've only had autoclimate control systems in my Porsches and have no direct experience with the manual systems, but if the manual system uses direct mechanical linkage to the flaps (and I think it does) -- then rapid movement of the temperature control knob may help identify the problem by not making any noise cause the control is not moving the flap as it should or perhaps by making some odd noise cause the linkage is broken/loose and all you hear is the linkage flopping about as you move the knob.

Sincerely,

Macster.

budmanv24 04-08-2010 09:43 PM

As macster said, it could be a flap not moving doe to a faulty cable or clip. Seen it happen in many other cars.

rabidewok 04-10-2010 05:31 PM

Well i replaced the relay and it still doesnt work:( Really sad, now i guess i will take it to a shop and pay someone a lot of money to chase down a problem. If anyone else has had this problem and solved it, plz any advice would be awesome. thanks

insite 04-10-2010 07:35 PM

i figured mine was a flap malfunction (i do have the autoclimate). my next step will be to swap out the climatronic unit for a known good one to see if that solves the problem.

ppbskis 04-13-2010 06:55 AM

Had a problem with my 01 turbo not blowing cold also. Dealer replaced the ignition switch and the problem was solved.

James Theissen 06-25-2019 09:09 AM

Boxster 987 base a/c

Originally Posted by ppbskis (Post 7478708)
Had a problem with my 01 turbo not blowing cold also. Dealer replaced the ignition switch and the problem was solved.

I've replaced compressor, dryer, expansion valve and HP switch, have plenty of freon but won't come on unless I jump the relay. Oh, new relay and fuse checks good. If it's the LP switch, where is that? Looked at ign switch pricing, hate to spend that much and it still not work, how can I test it? Thanks! James

mary james 04-29-2020 07:02 AM

I understand your problems, So for this matter my suggestions is that you will do one thing just service your air conditioner and for doing this you will take help from cleaning services dubai.

Starter986 04-29-2020 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by mary james (Post 16586683)
I understand your problems, So for this matter my suggestions is that you will do one thing just service your air conditioner and for doing this you will take help from cleaning services dubai.

Yes. Take a broom to the AC. That will work. Maybe start with the sofa and move up to the carpet. Way to go "Mary James".