Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Driver's Window not working (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/548371-drivers-window-not-working.html)

StatmanDesigns 02-01-2010 04:53 PM

Driver's Window not working

my 2000 S has been sitting this winter and the battery died. I was able to get the battery charged and the car started today. However, the driver's window is not working. When you push the switch you can hear a clicking type of sound, but no motion on the window. It does not move when you open the door or unlatch the top either.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for a solution. The car is at a storage garage so it is not too convenient to visit. Thanks for any help.

StatmanDesigns 02-02-2010 07:13 PM

Good thing this isn't my winter DD and the car is in storage for another month or so. Anyone have any suggestions on where and how to start fixing this window issue since the car is really not very convenient to drive around when the door doesn't close properly. Thanks.

racer 02-02-2010 09:08 PM

iirc, there is a procedure for "resetting" the window and its drop for when you open the door. Not sure if its in the owners manual. Might try Mike Fockes website.. or one of the boxster boards. If its not this (which could have been caused by the battery failing) then I'd suspect a bad microswitch.

Jaak Lepson 02-02-2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns (Post 7277957)
Good thing this isn't my winter DD and the car is in storage for another month or so. Anyone have any suggestions on where and how to start fixing this window issue since the car is really not very convenient to drive around when the door doesn't close properly. Thanks.

Mine did this once ... I got pissed at it and slaped the door panel ... windows works fine now (although it is in storage right now).

flintworks 02-09-2010 01:26 PM

It could also be bad window regulator which is not uncommon. You can swap the switches side to side but the best thing to do is pull the door panel and see what's going on in there.

curt_928 02-09-2010 02:14 PM

My 02' did not have this kind of issue but I'll take a stab at it...
The basic window does not function like the older cars of yesteryear.. i.e there is no little switch that I can recall that "stops" the motor when up and down... the motor drives a continuous loop of metal wire that itself lifts the window up and down.IIRC, when you "reset" the windows, you disconnect the battery for about 5 to 10 minutes (this kills residual memory in the system) with the top or door open.. what you then do is connect the battery and then hold the window buttons until the window is down completely, after which you press the buttons down for an additional 10 seconds or so... (it's in the manual if I recall).

How I'd approach it:
1) Disconnect battery and let sit for 10-15 minutes.. this will kill the settings in the system so write down radio codes before disconnecting battery. Reconnect battery, turn key to first stop and then try to move window down.

2) if this does not work I'd replace the fuse that powers the window.

3) if this does not work I'd take a look at the window relay and clean its contacts..

4) if this does not work I would open the door panel: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/ and examine motor and window regulator. They do fail but my understanding is they stretch before failure... motor may be seized.. etc. etc.

5) When teh window does work but the motor doesn't drop the window as you enter the car the 1/2" then it is likely the door jamb switch the hits the stricker plate.

Cheers!

Curt
_________
79 928 5sp silver/blk
02 Boxster 5sp blk/blk/blk

budmanv24 02-10-2010 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by racer (Post 7278328)
iirc, there is a procedure for "resetting" the window and its drop for when you open the door. Not sure if its in the owners manual. Might try Mike Fockes website.. or one of the boxster boards. If its not this (which could have been caused by the battery failing) then I'd suspect a bad microswitch.

That would be running the window up and down once or twice so the window relearns everything. That won't be very helpful in this instance, although it typically is necessary once the battery is replaced. I would play with the roof more. Mine stuck in place and it ended up being because it wasn't recognizing the roof as being fully latched. I ran the roof up and down a few times and then firmly pulled it into the windshield frame as it was coming in and latched it. That seemed to do the trick.

StatmanDesigns 03-25-2010 11:22 AM

Finally was able to address this window issue and here is what was found. Took the car to my idependent mechanic (Wright Tuning just East of Cincinnati, great race shop) and they fixed it in less than 1 hour. Turns out that nothing was wrong with any parts just that the window motor had gotten stuck. They manually moved the motor and once it got past the stuck point it all works normally now. The door panel was removed in order to gain access to the wondow motor, it was not possible to free it by simply pushing on the glass. Although, if we knew that was the problem we might have pushed a bit harder on the glass to try to free it. No problems with fuses, relays, or switches, just a stuck motor. Hoppe this helps somebody at some point.

powderhound 03-25-2010 09:37 PM

im glad you got it working and even more happy that you followed up and let us all know what the problem was and how it was resolved. It seems so many times people ask for help, get a bunch of suggestions and help and then they never report back on the problem and solution. It's like reading a mistery novel with no ending. Thanks again.
Eric