Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to repaint boxster...the proper way....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 67 Posts
Default How hard to repaint boxster...the proper way....

Normally you obviously should paint the engine bay, remove doors, etc. I obviously would want to do it the right way, so I guess I am wondering if you still need to paint the engine bay on the boxster? I have never seen pictures of the engine itself? Is it painted from the factory.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Normally you obviously should paint the engine bay, remove doors, etc. I obviously would want to do it the right way, so I guess I am wondering if you still need to paint the engine bay on the boxster? I have never seen pictures of the engine itself? Is it painted from the factory.
A full repaint the right way is a lot of work. Expensive.

The engine is not painted. The Porsche engines are not painted and I can see no reason to paint one though if you want to, it is your decision. (Cast iron engine blocks and heads were painted to protect these items from rusting.)

If the paint job is to be done right the engine, drivetrain, all running gear could be removed so all visible painted surfaces can be repainted.

If the car is being repainted the same color and the paint on interior surfaces -- engine compartment for instance -- and the paint on otherwise hidden surfaces doesn't need to be touched -- the engine, drivetrain and most of the running gear can be left alone.

But best if all panels, bumpers, trunk lids, doors, clam shell, everything that can be removed is removed and prep'd and painted while off the car.

It may be necessary to remove hinges and brackets and the underlying surfaces painted as well as the hinges, brackets themselves and other painted hardware resprayed.

The panels that can be removed have their trim or other pieces removed, the weather stripping seals removed (or tied back) and then the panels painted.

Of course there is a lot of prep and it depends too up the color. If you're going from say black to white then that's more work cause the old paint could need to be removed (stripped) right down to the primer. (Been there done that.)

A real good paint job will have the shop sand the panels so the paint has the same thickness as "factory" paint and the paint thicknesses vary depending on the panel and even the surfaces of the same panel. For instance horizontal surfaces of the fender get a bit heavier coat of paint than the vertical surfaces. And you have to know when the panels painted at the factory the orientation of the various body panels.

All and all a *good* repaint of a car a lot of work.

(I read of a UK car nut, err fan, who bought a C-GT and so wanted a Speed Yellow one he paid to have the car resprayed in Speed Yellow. I do not recall the car's original color. Regardless, I would hate to think what the paint job cost him. And frankly I think it had to negatively impact the car's resale value too, which may or may not have been a concern to this owner.)

If you are considering a car that requires a repaint, walk away.

If you are considering buying a otherwise good example car and repainting it, I would suggest you search out a car that has the paint you desire as its factory paint.

If you want to buy a car and have it "painted to sample", more power to you.

Just be sure you have a very good shop picked out and have lots of money.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. I realize it is very time consuming. My Father restores 356's so he can help with the paint, and we can both prep the car. Obviously the majority of the cost is in the prep work needed. Potentially I would go from a black car to Mexico or Riviera Blue. Lots of work indeed, and if I could ever find a paint to sample version I would jump on it!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Thanks for the input. I realize it is very time consuming. My Father restores 356's so he can help with the paint, and we can both prep the car. Obviously the majority of the cost is in the prep work needed. Potentially I would go from a black car to Mexico or Riviera Blue. Lots of work indeed, and if I could ever find a paint to sample version I would jump on it!
Well, having a father that restores and I assume this includes painting 356s is a plus. If you have the experience or can be supervised by someone who has the experience to do a good job and have the time to do much if not all the work yourself, this lowers the dollar outlay quite a bit and makes the odds of getting a good repaint that much higher.

Why not start with a lighter colored car and painting it to Mexico or Riviera Blue? No doubt you could find a lighter colored car as easily as you could find a black car and in the same condition and optioned similarly. Your desire to repaint the car at some level makes the original color of the car a consideration not for what it is but how readily (or not) it lends itself to being repainted to the color you want.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, good point. The idea of re-painting is more of a long shot, but your points and suggestions make sense. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: How hard to repaint boxster...the proper way....