Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Buying HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would keep the Mustang if that will make the young man happy.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who's driving, you or the kid? he'll get over it.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go for the Boxster, try to find a passenger airbag deactivation bar and child seat. Porsche made them for the 986 series Boxsters and they pop up on eBay now and then or Suncoast Porsche has them on their website. I have one and both my kids 7 & 9 enjoy riding in the car with me.

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva//me...y_Code=986seat
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra2top
Well, to bring everyone up to speed, the purchase has not been completed.....yet. The story is that I have a lightly modded 92 Special Edition Mustang convertible 5.0 5 spd. that the wife said I have to launch if I buy the Porsche. The dealer friend and I negotiated a great deal, he was going to keep my Mustang for his weekend toy and I would get time to see it/drive it when I needed a V8 fix. Well, his wife shut that idea down and changed the decision process for me. I tried every angle to keep the Mustang for now and in the Spring sell either the Porsche or Mustang, essentailly keep the one I like better and make a few more dollars selling a vert over in the Spring. Well, the my wife shot that idea down! (what is up with these women!?!?). She did not want to have 2 toys in the garage so after some lenghty discussions, the Mustang must go if the Porsche is added. The issue is that the Porsche my friend has Iis the one I want. I can not expect him to hold on to it while I try and sell the Mustang. It is so clean that it is only a matter of time before it is sold. With the holiday's I parked the idea and thought about buying a "S" with a few more miles in the Spring.

Tonight my Dealer friend called and said that a good friend would like to see the Mustang. He is looking for a weekend toy and a Mustang fanatic. He saw my car tonight and loved it. We need to still negotiate the price but the issue I have is that my 5 year old son likes the Mustang!!!! I talked to him tonight about the Porsche and he asked where was the back seat. He realized tonight that he will not "fit" in the Boxster. Now it is not like he is in the Mustang alot. Maybe a handful of times over the course of a driving season, but that look on his face gave me pause.

Now the decision is to launch the Mustang for the Porsche or not. Now the wife really likes the Porsche and we had already talked about taking it on "date nights" when I thought the deal was sealed. She is not a huge fan of the Mustang as it has a aftermarket exhaust with a deep rumble. I always liked it but it is starting to feel a little boy racer as of late (I guess I am getting old!). Now my son is a big fan of the Mustang.......so make the wife happy or the son. The more I think of it Dad wants the Porsche so mentally the decision is made, just need to bring the son along!!

Long way to get here, but the latest is that tomorrow I am going to try and finalize the deal with the Mustang and buy the Porsche. It is just too good of a deal and just a great driver. My friend gave me the keys over the weekend and I put a good 100 miles on the car driving it everywhere and it was so much fun, more fun then my Mustang. Very tight and that flat 6 has such a nice sound!!

Well, I will keep you posted and again, thanks for all of the help and advice!
I owned a '96 Mustang GT, getting rid of the Mustang in '01 shortly after I bought an '01 Camaro Z28 in Sept of '01. I then got rid of the Camaro shortly after I bought my '02 Boxster in Jan of 2002 and I never looked back.

Both cars were crap.

The 2.7l 5-speed Boxster may be down on power -- actually compared to the 4.6l V8 in the Mustang it has a bit more power -- but is still plenty quick -- and top speed it wins over both other cars.

(Back when I participated on some Mustang web sites there were a few posts by servicemen in Germany that told of their taking their American cars, in this case they were driving late model Mustangs, out on the autobahn for some high speed running and ending up with transmissions burned out. The cars were not meant to run at any more than highway speeds for any length of time.)

Of course the quality of the Boxster is head and shoulders above both the Ford and Chevy. The Boxster is a much better driver, much nicer on the road, more fuel efficent.

Buy your son a model car and he can make all the V8 noises he wants.

Things may be different now but when I was a kid I had about much say as to which cars my parents bought/drove as I now have say on what's in the health care bill. None. Nada. Zip.

When your son gets old enough he can buy his own Mustang if he wants. But chances are after being exposed to the Porsche he'll skip the Detroit iron car phase.

(Oh, I did buy a new '06 GTO in '07 and it was not that bad of a car. A bit better in construction than either the Mustang or Z28 -- make that a lot better in construction -- and had a nice lumpy idling 6.0l V8 and 6-speed transmission and was very fast -- once dusting with ease a late model Mustang on 395 highway up to Ridgecrest CA -- but the GM/Pontiac service sucked so badly I traded the car in on a Cayman S.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I think you have to pay attention to the happiness of your family first and foremost.

I only bought mine only when my wife said do it. And in the same time frame she got a fur coat.

So what can you do for your son...how about the second ride in it is his. And then go out of your way to take him with you to the store...my Boxster takes the trash to the recycle center, the dry cleaning to the laundry and does regular WalMart runs. 2 trunks are there for a reason..to make it practical. (The 911 seats are for midgets.) So make him fall in love with it.

OTOH, my wife doesn't like riding in it...calls it a go cart..but is happy I bought it.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
cobra2top
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All, wanted to send a quick update on my purchase decision......well, even though it was a "smoking deal", I ended up passing on the 97 Boxster. It was immaculate, drove really nice, and fun to toss around. The only thing that kept nagging in the back of my head was the rear seat issue and the 2.5. I have not drove a Boxster S but after reading all of the post here, it seems the S would meet my lead foot needs. I would push the 2.5 and even though it got up and went pretty well, I know down the road I would have wished I either went with the S or waited a little longer and got a 996 (rear seat).

So I am still in search for a P-Car. My Mustang, although not sold, will be when I am ready. I contacted the previous owner and mentioned I was "stepping up" and buying a Porsche. He instantly wanted to buy back the Stang. The nice thing is we already agreed to a price, I dont have to go through the hassle of selling it, and I can hold onto it until I find the right Porsche.

So the search continues. Will it be a Boxster S or a 996...........I'll keep you posted and will be back with questions.

Thanks for everyone's advice here....again great information and a great site I hope to be a full time member with a Porsche in the garage.

Quick Reply: 97 Buying HELP!