Sponsored by:

2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder - To be Introduced at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
The point being they could have built this car in 1999 if they chose to do so.

Porsche didn't want to alienate all those doctors & attorneys who think a car modeled after a pendulum is the ultimate engineering exercise.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The point being they could have built this car in 1999 if they chose to do so.
They could have built a 450hp twin turbocharged Boxster. Probably under 3k lbs. ..if they chose to. But we could play that game ad nauseam.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry L
Porsche didn't want to alienate all those doctors & attorneys who think a car modeled after a pendulum is the ultimate engineering exercise.
Hehe....

Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
sisragefla
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boxster Spyder features a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine with Direct Fuel Injection upfront of the rear axle. Maximum output is 320 horsepower (hp), 10 hp more than the Boxster S. The combination of 10 more hp and 176 pounds less weight than the award-winning Boxster S, plus an all-new sport suspension that lowers the Boxster Spyder 20 mm, a lower center of gravity, a standard limited slip differential, and exclusive wheels provides the kind of driving dynamics that back up the unique look. Aluminum door skins and lightweight interior door panels from the 911 GT3 RS contribute to the weight reduction.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
sisragefla
2nd Gear

The Boxster Spyder features a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine with Direct Fuel Injection upfront of the rear axle. Maximum output is 320 horsepower (hp), 10 hp more than the Boxster S. The combination of 10 more hp and 176 pounds less weight than the award-winning Boxster S, plus an all-new sport suspension that lowers the Boxster Spyder 20 mm, a lower center of gravity, a standard limited slip differential, and exclusive wheels provides the kind of driving dynamics that back up the unique look. Aluminum door skins and lightweight interior door panels from the 911 GT3 RS contribute to the weight reduction.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
You're sure that the 3.4 weighs no more than the 2.5? Why would you make that assumption?

Furthermore the 2000 Boxster S came with a lot of extra (read heavier) standard equipment. Did you add the Boxster S third radiator? How about the larger oil cooler? How about the larger Boxster S brakes (from a 996). Did you add the Boxster S interior headliner. Does your car ride on 16" wheels (because the low 1999 curb weight was measured with 16" wheels).

My point is Porsche added quite a bit of extra weight when they made the Boxster S. Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet that your car weighs considerably more than 2811 lbs (provided you have made no other changes and even if you did not add all of the Boxster S extra equipment). Finally, the 987 chassis is stiffer that the 986 chassis (and probably weighs more as a result), so your comparison is little bit apples and oranges.

Why would I make that bet? I've weighed my 2000 986. My car has very few options and it weighs over 100 lbs. more than the 2,811 lbs. Porsche quotes for this Spyder. I'll bet you car weighs more too.

If your point is that Porsche (and basically every other car manufacturer save Lotus) makes modern cars too darn heavy then I wholeheartedly agree. However, much of that weight is safety equipment that manufacturers did not put in olders cars. Another big portion is luxury equipment that consumers today demand.

What I don't understand is when Porsche goes out and creates a car like this (basically turns back the clock a little and does the right thing) why people have to disrespect the effort? Personally I think it's great.

The new 987 Spyder gives you the weight of a 1997 986 with;

- Greatly enhanced safety equipment
- Over 100 extra horsepower
- Bigger brakes
- Significantly larger wheels and tires
- More cooling capacity
- and a Chassis that is waaaay more rigid than the original

Sounds like a great car to me.......
Have you seen a 3.4 on the floor next to a 2.5? Except for the second intake runner I can't tell them apart. I believe the 3.4 is the same, with thinner cylinder walls, but I won't call it lighter since that space is filled with coolant.
No, I've never weighed my car, but when I borow scales this winter to balance the racecar I will, I'm sort of curious now.
No, my point is more that (as has already been noted) that the marketing department in such an engineering-focused company drives the bus, and has kept the Boxster/Cayman from being the car it could be. And I also marvel at Porsche's ability to de-content a car and charge more for a special edition. And yes, all sports cars these days are burdened with too many frills and acronyms.
Cheers
Randy
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

I had to laugh with some of the responses I saw on the GT3 Forum. all these guys saying, "now THIS is a car I would buy." "Where do I sign up?" "This is my next car."

It is a Boxster S with a different roof. So now that makes it a car you will not look down your nose at? Or is it the fact that it will simply cost more? Why all the love all of a sudden?

While I applaud Porsche for paying some attention to the Boxster, I cannot see why someone could not add the sports supension and limited slip diff to a regular Boxster S and come within a hair of this special addition, and have a better driver everyday.

I think the new clamshell looks cool and all, I just do not see the HUGE step forward. Nice option package, with some deletions, that's all.

Give it 450 HP and an engine that rev's to 10,000rpm... well... that is a different beast.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Mike on most accounts. On the other thread (helloooo...??? why are there three different forums for the same car?!?!?) I commented that, as a special, it was better than a Boxster with new stickers.

I think the significance lies in two areas: 1) the fact that Porsche is doing something "sporty" to the Boxster (with actual improvements in performance) and 2) it could be the first step to this new philosophy of "adding lightness" to the cars to get them to meet ever more strict environmental concerns.

...or it could just be the latest marketing ploy.

If I could afford a "special" car, I would put this on my list. But I also agree with Mike that, in the real world, I would just as soon buy a "standard" Boxster S and enjoy it daily.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you seen a 3.4 on the floor next to a 2.5? Except for the second intake runner I can't tell them apart. I believe the 3.4 is the same, with thinner cylinder walls, but I won't call it lighter since that space is filled with coolant.
Bigger pistons, beefier crank, etc. I'd be surprised if they weight the same.

And I also marvel at Porsche's ability to de-content a car and charge more for a special edition.
It's always been this way with Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, etc. Not right, but the enthusiast will pay.

And yes, all sports cars these days are burdened with too many frills and acronyms.
Cheers
Randy
I agree with you there.....
Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
I had to laugh with some of the responses I saw on the GT3 Forum. all these guys saying, "now THIS is a car I would buy." "Where do I sign up?" "This is my next car."
Makes sense to me. The GT3 customer is the type of guy this seems to be made for. After all how many poseurs are going to be thrilled with a limited slip diff, or a roof that must be manually installed?

My beef. Why haven't they done this to the Cayman yet as it's obviously a better track car.

Hmm, a Cayman that's 150 lbs lighter, with a 350 hp motor and a limited slip. Sounds pretty cool to me.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

My beef. Why haven't they done this to the Cayman yet as it's obviously a better track car.

Hmm, a Cayman that's 150 lbs lighter, with a 350 hp motor and a limited slip. Sounds pretty cool to me.
+1!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Makes sense to me. The GT3 customer is the type of guy this seems to be made for. After all how many poseurs are going to be thrilled with a limited slip diff, or a roof that must be manually installed?.
and there it is..."Poser".

We are so ready to heap in all the Boxster owners into that pile. Yet never do we call the GT3 guys who spend buckets of cash to get a few pounds lighter so that they can be DE heroes, posers.

I know I know.... you are far from calling the Boxster a poser car, you track one.

Whatever advantage it has can be done to a stock S with the diff for the same money, or less. Lighter alloys, lighter exhaust...

I think the car is cool, it is even my new wallpaper... but guys who previously snubbed the Boxster getting all excited just makes me smile sarcasticaly.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not following the decontenting discussion.

I added up some of the equipment that would be optional on an S (19", LSD, GT2 seats, painted console, etc.) and you get way over the price of the Spyder. Some stuff obviously has value that you can't order like lowering, inner and outer door panels, and the cowling.

Seems like you're getting a credit for the radio and mechanized rear spoiler, plus the folding top costs might cost more than a power top in a production run the size of the Spyders. It has to be crash tested and DOT approved.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 PM
perryeyges
Track Day

Does anyone have a picture showing an open rear clam on this car? Does the rear clam hinge at the front or rear?
I just sold my modified Elise(1,460lbs 305 S/C hp) and may go with the Spyder. I got tired of the poor build quality on the Elise.
Attached Images      
Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 PM
perryeyges
Track Day

Last photo of the Lotus. It was pretty severe..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder - To be Introduced at L.A. Auto Show