Sponsored by:

First Porsche - 3.2 G 50 or Boxster S

Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Porsche - 3.2 G 50 or Boxster S

Hi there;

I have been looking at 87-89 911's for some time now, but am starting to consider the Boxster instead. I am looking for a weekend toy - not a track car or a resto project, but someting fun to drive with the top down here in So Cal. Looking to spend between $15-20K.

I was considering the 911 of this era due to the performance and reliability of this generation, as well as the classic 911 looks versus newer versions.

I am somewhat concerned though that these older cars will require more maintenance than a newer car, and I am also somewhat concerned about the rear engine handling dynamics, having heard many stories about how easy it is to lose the back end in a corner.

There are many raves, and some detracters of the Boxster but I am looking for opinions. Important to note that I am 6'2", so how well I fit in the car is important. I have driven one once about a year ago, but only briefly and it was not an "S". I will definately drive one, but wanted some thoughts, and yes I realize that I am in the Boxster forum here.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3.2/G50 and the Boxster are two different animals. Ideally, you need one of each: the 3.2 for its raw feeling in true 911 spirit, the Boxster for its refinment and easy-to-live-with character. I had to chose and picked the Boxster...
Old 10-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
The 3.2/G50 and the Boxster are two different animals. Ideally, you need one of each: the 3.2 for its raw feeling in true 911 spirit, the Boxster for its refinment and easy-to-live-with character. I had to chose and picked the Boxster...
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment above. I have a 2003 Boxster S and a 1986 911 Targa (915 not G50) and they are entirely different cars.

The Boxster is easier to drive and great fun. It handles great, makes great sound and has enough power to excite when it needs to. At this stage, it would be a faster car for me on a track but I've only had the 911 for a few months compared to the Boxster for a couple of years. But...

The 911 is something that you can't duplicate today. You feel more connected to the road (something I wouldn't have thought possible when I only owned the Boxster) and it's clearly built better. My Boxster doesn't feel as solid over bumps and the 911 is 23 years old. The build quality is astounding, it's like driving a car made from one piece of metal. I'm 6'2" and both are comfortable although the boxster may have a little less leg room (maybe). I definately feel more involved in the driving experience with the 911. As good as the Boxster sounds, the 911 sound makes the radio useless. There is just a feel to the 911 that you can't describe.

I think you would pay more attention to the maintenance of the 911 so the Boxster may give a little more piece of mind. The parts are marginally cheaper (and more easily found) in the Boxster but service probably isn't. I would never do the oil change on the Boxster and gladly pay the $186 the dealer charges. The 911 oil change is incredibly easy and takes minutes. I'm not sure I would tackle any of the work on the Boxster but love working on the 911. If you like to do your own work this may be a consideration.

In summary (if that is possible now) they are both great cars and I'm not getting rid of either anytime soon, you really can't go wrong regardless of your choice.

BTW, many actually prefer the 915 gearbox over the G50 but it is an aquired taste. If it's in proper condition it's quite the joy to drive. It's also much lighter and cheaper to maintain (I'm told). That being said, the 6-speed in the Boxster S is the best I've ever used.

Regards,

Emery
Old 10-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

One more thing, the 911 gets a lot more looks!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be happy to have a phone call with you. PM me if interested. I think I have some good insights but mainly, since I own both (well, 964 - close...), you can ask me questions, which might be most helpful.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
+1 Very different cars. Really depends on what you are looking for.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drive both, as they say.

For the record, I am 6'2" 210 lbs. No problems at all fitting into the Boxster. when I was buying it, I tried a 964 era 911, and felt a bit cramped.

That is not the typical sentiment.... but it is mine.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Do you want a convertible? If yes, the Boxster (like the modern 911) has a much better system. Looks better when open since it folds down and disappears. The pre 996 converts. folded down into a fairly high stack and in my opinion, didn't look that great.

But if the answer to the convertible question is no, it comes down to driving them. I don't think you can make a bad decision here, they'll both drive great.

If I was going to get a coupe, I'd probably take a hard look at a 911 between 87 - 89 or a 993. I always liked that classic style. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
941MXVET
Pro

Similar to Mr. CanyonBlaster, we own a 1991 C2 964, as well as a 1998 base model Boxster. The Boxster has a wonderful convertable system, which is very easy to use. The 964 is fun to drive, has loads of torque, and likes to have plenty of driver input comparied to the Boxster. The Box is very well balenced, so much so that spirited driving can seam uneventful (but fast).

I think which ever you chose, you'll be happy with, but many always wonder about the 'other' car. So you just might have to suck it up and buy both!!

Good luck
Old 11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned a 1985 3.2 cabriolet, a 1989 3.2 coupe, a 1996 993 coupe, and currently a 2000 Boxster S, I have some foundation of experience on this issue.

If you want a convertible, there is no choice, get the Boxster. The 3.2 cabriolets are torturous compared to the Boxster. The Boxster S is quicker and faster than any stock 3.2 Carrera. If you plan on driving the car, the Boxster is so much easier to deal with as a daily driver on non perfect weather days. When the weather is perfect any Porsche is awesome. The heating and air-conditioning in the Boxster is waaaayyyyyyy better.

If, on the other hand, you want a fair-weather car and a coupe, and you want to stare at it for it beauty, then get the Carrera coupe.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was going to get a coupe, I'd probably take a hard look at a 911 between 87 - 89 or a 993. I always liked that classic style. Good luck in whatever you choose.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you skip the 964 nad go to the 993. Any thoughts as to why? My original option #2 behind the 3.2 was a C2/C4.

I am in Socal so while I like the 3.2 Coupe, its hard not to consider a cab and I have no intention to track the car, just have some fun on weekends.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM
UK2
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The Boxster is the way to go, but shoot for an 'S'. I was exactly in the same place as you 3 years ago and the 'S' has not dissapointed. Excellent cars with a relative high reliability factor, which is ideal for the weekend fun car.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Having owned a 1985 3.2 cabriolet, a 1989 3.2 coupe, a 1996 993 coupe, and currently a 2000 Boxster S, I have some foundation of experience on this issue.

If you want a convertible, there is no choice, get the Boxster. The 3.2 cabriolets are torturous compared to the Boxster. The Boxster S is quicker and faster than any stock 3.2 Carrera. If you plan on driving the car, the Boxster is so much easier to deal with as a daily driver on non perfect weather days.

Agreed. I owned an '87 Carrera cab back in the 90's, and there's no comparison. The Carrera was a fun car, but was crude and lacked the amenities of the Boxster. It felt like an ancient design, and I sold it after I bought a new BMW 325is with the sport package in 1995.

The Boxster is an effortless driver. I bought the one I have now because it was affordable and locally available, and found that I really like the car. If it had an additional hundred HP, it would be perfect.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Owned 2 Boxsters

I drove every sports car I could get my hands on..literally dozens. Never really thought of the Boxster for some reason until one day I drove one...15 minutes into the drive I knew what I wanted. I'd finally realized I wanted to be able to drop that top. And the handling was so smooth. It was so easy to just step in and drive. No quirks.

I don't need HP, my 85HP 914 was enough to keep me in constant trouble. As was my 1.3L Alfa. Both were rust buckets. I do own an '01S but was just as happy with my '99 (until I wrecked it).

5 years and my Boxsters have been very very reliable. Of course not everyone has that luck and maintenance can be expensive. But not everything needs to be done at a dealers service facility. There are great forums, DIY guides, and list of OEM parts and sources to be had.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by leathers101
The Boxster is the way to go, but shoot for an 'S'. I was exactly in the same place as you 3 years ago and the 'S' has not dissapointed. Excellent cars with a relative high reliability factor, which is ideal for the weekend fun car.
+1

I might be picking up a 2000 Boxster S next week as my first ever 986. I used to have an 88 Carrera Targa and loved it. The difference is night and day between these two cars. Do you like air conditioning? If you don't care about creature comforts, the 3.2 takes you back in time. Also, there's nothing wrong with a 964, so if you find one you like, take a test drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Porsche - 3.2 G 50 or Boxster S