Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Water Temperature Light Blinking (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/532554-water-temperature-light-blinking.html)

syoo8 10-30-2009 12:58 AM

Water Temperature Light Blinking

The coolant temperature light (at the right side of the coolant temperature gauge) blinks constantly, even when the engine is cold. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what is the solution?

derb 10-30-2009 10:07 AM

A blinking light indicates low coolant tank level.

LVDell 10-30-2009 01:57 PM

Correct, low level. Could also be that your water pump is going and you are leaking. Also could be the engine compartment fan faulting.

Macster 10-30-2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by LVDell (Post 7032174)
Correct, low level. Could also be that your water pump is going and you are leaking. Also could be the engine compartment fan faulting.

Also, could be coolant reservior or what was the cause of my 02 Boxster's coolant warning light flashing was a leaking cap.

Signs of moisture (water droplets) around seal of fluids basin and under rear trunk area that covers this basin provided a hint. Upon close inspection of the tank and the bleed valve which turned up no signs of an leaking of coolant I replaced the cap and topped up low level with distilled water.

No more flashing light.

Sincerely,

Macster.

LVDell 10-30-2009 07:28 PM

Damn, forgot about the tank as well. You'd think I would have remembered having replaced mine :banghead:

syoo8 10-31-2009 01:47 AM

Thank you guys!

I topped off the coolant reservoir with distilled water in a parking lot. When I looked underneath the car it was dripping, probably six inches fore of the rear right wheel-well. (!) But the blinking stopped.

Thirty minutes later I arrived home, no blinking, no dripping. Why would have started as I topped off the tank, then stop after driving for a half hour? Do I have a crack in the coolant reservoir near the top?

Macster 10-31-2009 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by syoo8 (Post 7033975)
Thank you guys!

I topped off the coolant reservoir with distilled water in a parking lot. When I looked underneath the car it was dripping, probably six inches fore of the rear right wheel-well. (!) But the blinking stopped.

Thirty minutes later I arrived home, no blinking, no dripping. Why would have started as I topped off the tank, then stop after driving for a half hour? Do I have a crack in the coolant reservoir near the top?

Very likely. You need to have the car's cooling system pressure tested -- or the reservior tank visually inspected -- and the leak found and fixed.

These engines need a properly working cooling system to avoid more serious problems developing. Do not delay.

BTW, you can remove the oil filler tube cap, the coolant cap -- with engine cold -- and the dipstick and carefully pry/lift up the plastic panel that covers the bottom of the fluid basin to expose the coolant tank.

Right away put the oil filler tube cap back on the oil filler tube so you don't accidently pour water into the crankcase oil.

You can then check out the tank with a bright flash light, even pour some water into the tank opening and see if you can see any water leaking out.

Sincerely,

Macster.

syoo8 11-02-2009 02:13 AM

Thank you Macster (and LVDell!) for your advice. I appreciate it-- a lot!

amondc 11-10-2009 11:20 PM

You can pull up the carpet and cardboard in the rear trunk and see if there is water under there. Make sure you pull up everything because the cardboard sits off the floor and you can have water in there and the carpet not be wet.

Sue 986 11-23-2009 10:45 PM

Ah, I literally had that happen today. flashing red light. Took it into my mechanic and we couldn't find where it was leaking but it wasn't holding pressure. Took the cap and cover off as indicated above and there was signs that the tank was leaking at the top where the neck went into the tank. Taking it in tomorrow for a new tank. Engine was replaced by previous owner with a 2 year warranty, HOWEVER, that just went off in August... dang! Timing is everything huh?!

Macster 11-24-2009 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sue 986 (Post 7093618)
Ah, I literally had that happen today. flashing red light. Took it into my mechanic and we couldn't find where it was leaking but it wasn't holding pressure. Took the cap and cover off as indicated above and there was signs that the tank was leaking at the top where the neck went into the tank. Taking it in tomorrow for a new tank. Engine was replaced by previous owner with a 2 year warranty, HOWEVER, that just went off in August... dang! Timing is everything huh?!

Well, I will point out that you took prompt action to have the source of the leak looked into and found the tank leaking and are having this fixed.

This is preferrable to instead continuing to drive the car with a leaking cooling system. These engines do not like to overheat and they can and will if the cooling system is not kept fluid and pressure tight. If they overheat serious engine troubles can develop.

You did the right thing at the right time. As you said, timing *is* everything.

Sincerely,

Macster.

eric523 11-24-2009 02:37 PM

coolant tank would not be covered under the 2 year engine warranty anyhow. It is one of the few items that does not come with a new motor. Unless, of course, it was replaced in addition to the motor which is not always the norm.

Kconn23 05-05-2017 02:25 PM

Temp light blinking

Just had oil change and coolant flush and the light started blinking on the way home. I had them pressure test the system while they had it and they said no leaks. It's done this a few times, but doesn't seem to be consistent. No puddles under the car. Any ideas?

Macster 05-05-2017 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kconn23 (Post 14162392)
Just had oil change and coolant flush and the light started blinking on the way home. I had them pressure test the system while they had it and they said no leaks. It's done this a few times, but doesn't seem to be consistent. No puddles under the car. Any ideas?

Depending upon who "they" is I'd hazard a guess the coolant level is low.

These engines/cooling systems are tricky to refill properly with no air pockets. If not filled completely and driven the air pockets go away but the level drops and if it drops enough the coolant light blinks.

My advice would be to call the shop where you had the work done and let someone -- the manager? -- know what's going on and let him advise you.

If you want to "tackle" this yourself, let the engine cool down and then *carefully* remove the coolant cap. Check the level. You can't always trust what you see when looking through the tank as the inside of the tank develops a stain that make its near impossible to know if you are looking at the stain or the actual coolant level.

Carefully remove the cap and the screen and then with a flashlight peer inside and confirm the level.

If low and I suspect it is you can add distilled water to bring the level up. If you are concerned about freeze protection afterwards check the coolant with a strip.

paulofto 05-05-2017 09:51 PM

What Macster said.

But first, just check to make sure you have the newest cap ending in '04' and that it is screwed on right and not cross threaded. Sometimes the solution is the simplest thing.