Sponsored by:

Boxster Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
candaceph
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Shifting Problem

Hi - I searched for this problem but didn't find anything similar. I have a 2003 Boxster S with 90,000 miles on it - no problems with the car since I've had it - I am the 2nd owner.
The 90,000 mile manual transmission fluid change was done the other day and everything went to heck after that. Taking the car out the next morning the shifting was sloppy and after the first stop I couldn't get the car into any of the forward gears. Fortunately I was close enough (and live in the country) to go home in reverse. Checked the assembly in the back of the transmission and everything looked normal. After taking the shifter mechanism apart we found $9 worth of coins in the shifter compartment under the boot. They filled up the compartment.

that allowed the car to shift into reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th but we cannot get the car into 5th or 6th gear. Car operates normally in all of the lower gears.

We figured all the money in the compartment has to have contributed to the problem but can't figure out what's wrong. Everything in the shifter compartment appears to be whole and intact. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The boxster having a cable shift system you may simply need to adjust the cable that controls the throw from the 3/4 gate to the 5/6 gate. You may have gotten some slop in there when some of the coins got jammed up.

Hope that this helps at least a bit.

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 PM
candaceph
2nd Gear

That's kind of what we figured but we're not sure how to do that. The Bentley manual does not cover it.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a special tool that you place on the shifter and then connect the cables back on the bottom of the shifter. You can try guessing but its a lot easier with the tool..They should not have disconnected that to change the fluid though.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
flintworks
Advanced

If you're really friendly you could probably show up at the dealership with your center console removed and ask them to make the adjustment for free. It takes about 10 seconds to do once the console and shift **** are out of the way. I'm not sure about buying the tool yourself but it's just a piece of plastic that clips onto the shifter lever and centers it in the housing. If you can find the tool online or from the dealer all you do is disconnect the cables at the shifter (push spring loaded pieces forward and pull up on the cable) then install the tool and snap the cables back into place.

Quick Reply: Boxster Shifting Problem