Sponsored by:

Front suspension creak

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
LammMorada
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension creak

A couple of times during the past week, I've noticed a creaking noise in the steering linkage or front suspension of my 2001 Boxster S. Before I take the car to the alignment shop, I thought I'd ask whether any Rennlist members have run into this before.

It's a creaky noise that's sometimes audible as I turn the steering wheel when the car is parked or moving slowly. It's definitely emanating from the steering linkage or some suspension member up front, not from the steering wheel or column inside the car. And it sounds loudest on the right (passenger) side.

Not to say that the noise is terribly loud, but it's definitely there - sort of a scratchy moan, like a Teflon joint or steering link that needs lubrication. One problem is, it's not consistent. It tends to come and go, which might make it tough to demonstrate to the alignment guys.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:11 PM
dar01
3rd Gear

Default Creaking....

I'ts not an alignment issue....do a search of "creaking suspension"......lots of posts......don't remember the exact cause, but you will find it....
Old 09-05-2009, 09:23 PM
bwoodry
Racer

Could be your drop links are worn out. Check the below site, I think he has something about this
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/DIY_Projects.html
Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
gc1978
1st Gear

I had this problem and it comes from bottom the ball joint under the brake disk on the outside of the car. I tried spraying the general area with WD40 but this wont work that well as the creaking is actually coming from inside the rubber drying out, ( I think i caused alot of this myself by blasting under the car with a jet washer, so try not to do this) You can replace these parts if you want to part with alot of your coin............or do what i did which is jack the car up and put full lock on so you can get under one corner of the car and see the offending joint (the bottom one) now if you look you will see the rubber housing where the noise is coming from. Now bear in mind these are not buggered as the garage will tell you, but are only faulty as they are making the noise, they still work fine and are safe and will not fail an MOT as there is no play in them, they're just dried out. Get some spray grease (NOT WD40 This time, this is too thin) in a can with a straw, take a pin and ***** a small hole in the rubber housing, put the straw thru the rubber and spray away, filling the ball joint with grease (or even better a syringe with grease in) When you pull the straw out clean the hole and put a small dot of glue on the hole (if you can see it that is) just to seal it. Do the same to the other side and job done, drop the car back on its feet take it for a spin and the creaking will stop as soon as the car has been bouced about a bit to get the grease in the right places. I did this 3 months ago now and still no creaking!!! Give it a shot, its an hours easy work and will save you £££££££££££
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's one of your ball joints. cut a tiny slit in the the boot & spray wd40 into it w/ the straw. this will clean the debris out of the nylon race & it will quit squeaking.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 AM
healthservices
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the above items listed can be part your problem(s).

But..

Drop links tend to make noise the most when the suspension is changing direction, (more of a click noise) like a speed bump, one wheel at a time. Un hook the links and see if the noise goes away.

lower ball joints tend to be up and down movements and sometimes when turning. Puncturing and lubricating the lower ball joint (pinhole is all you need) will change or make the noise go away for a short amount of time.

Broken rubber bushing will sometimes make noise when turning but general do not make noise (will cause a lot of tire wear) unless it is really bad. Squirting the rubber bushing will change or make the noise go away temporarily. Visual inspection will sometimes reveal deep cracks in the bushing.

Another source for the noise is the Shock Bearing Plate for Front Shock Absorber (Upper Plastic Ring with Ball Bearings) The bearings sometimes go bad, and you will hear and sometimes even feel the noise (groaning noise) as you turn the steering wheel. If it is really bad you can remove the three bolts to the upper shock in the front trunk and lower the suspension. Push down and turn the upper mount with your hand and you will feel it. If it is not that bad you can sometimes just squirt the bearing with a grease and the noise will change or even go away for a while.

Hopefully this will help you diagnose and locate the problem rather than just replacing parts. Do not do all of the above at the same time otherwise you will not know what you did to make the noise change

Good luck
Attached Images  

Last edited by healthservices; 12-30-2011 at 03:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CrisTSC (05-24-2023)
Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

I liked gc1978's solution. It worked for me and saved $$$. Plus it saved my sanity :S
Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Healthservices . . . I think you nailed it with the shock tower bearing solution. I had that groaning while turing and after reading your note I did a quick test by spraying some WD-40 in the area you show. A couple of turns of the steering wheel lock to lock and the groaning stopped. I then did a more thourough lube of the area with a heavier grease than WD-40. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 PM
rydeljack
4th Gear

Default Wd40 didn't fix it!

I did that exactly and my squeak/creak is still there! Help !!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:27 PM
nismax
Track Day

What about your swaybar drop links?

Quick Reply: Front suspension creak