Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found '02 S

I came across the above car for $18.5 with 47K on it. Car is very clean and drives nicely. Of course I would be doing a PPI on the car, but I am also extending myself to buy this car. Opinions. Is this a good deal and should I jump on it or wait?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like a fair deal...I would not call it a screaming deal but not a bad one either. I paid 16.7 for my 2000 2.7 a year ago with 38k miles. It has alot of nice options (litronics, sports seats, sport design interior, 18" sport classics) but of course is not an S. If it checks out and is in as good of shape as you say I would go for it.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends. Maintenance history and options list weighs greatly in my book.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Sputter
Pro

I'm not sure how answer these types of questions. Obviously we've not seen so it's really tough to say.
Price seems ok though.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have been around Porsches enough to know a car that feels good and is in good shape. What I want to know if everything checks out is this to good of a deal to pass up? I am guessing as of now, the answer is that it isn't that good of a deal. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I came across the above car for $18.5 with 47K on it. Car is very clean and drives nicely. Of course I would be doing a PPI on the car, but I am also extending myself to buy this car. Opinions. Is this a good deal and should I jump on it or wait?
If you are extending yourself to buy the car what services are due or about to be due should play a factor in your decision to buy or not buy.

Generally one should have set aside 10% used car's purchase price to take of incidentals that always seem to pop up after one buys a used car.

However, if you do a good job used car shopping you can possibly leave some if not all that 10% money set aside in the bank.

I do not know market for Boxsters. But if that price represents a car in "excellent" condition then it really should be in excellent condition and all due or pending services should be done and paperwork available to show you this work has been done.

You should avoid paying excellent money for a car that is no in excellent condition and then spending money on top of what you paid for car bringing car into excellent condition.

Regardless of what you do, remember there's always another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 PM
racer
Drifting

You know its not an investment piece.. you likely won't get what you paid for it should you sell in a year or two. Overall it sounds like an "average" deal. Do your research... be aware of the know boxster issues and be sure to budget for the potential terminal issues.

I know you've had lots of porsches along the way.. i have as well.. I liked my Boxster.. it was a great car.. it was fast... but it wasn't, to me, a Porsche.. To me a "real" porsche is aircooled. I had my boxster for about 1 year.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the posts and PM's, I will be passing on the car.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Recall that that may be the asking price and in this economy
no one pays full asking price. I have a '01 S with no issues, medium options which I value currently for less but if I had just put on Michelins and had about 3 more options, it could easily be in the range of your quoted asking price. Don't fall in love with the first one...do some comparisons and pick the right one before you do the PPI (but then again I bought the first one I ever drove and it was perfect).
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Mike. Glad you got a good one on your first try.

Quick Reply: Found '02 S