Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Towing - Will Wood Hitch & Utility Trailer

Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts
Default DIY Towing - Will Wood Hitch & Utility Trailer

My 986 has become my little track toy so I equipped it with a utility trailer as others have done. I use the trailer to carry an extra set of tires and critical tools and fluids for track days. This frees up both trunks in the Boxster which can then be used for luggage and coolers and other important items!
The trailer works great and I just added a bike rack to it so my wife will be able to bike around the countrside when she doesn't feel like doing DE driving.

I thought I would do a basic installation write up for anyone else thinking about doing it. I opted for the non-hidden dual receiver hitch from www.willwoodsystem.com. Will also makes a hidden hitch which goes behind the license plate which I will likely add to my 997. I believe the hitch was about $440 delivered. I think just about anyone can do this install themselves and it took me about 1.5 hours taking my time and drinking Diet Coke.

The hitch appears to be high quality and it works perfectly. All you need to do is add a trailer ball and a trailer!

Here's how it works:

1) Take off the 6mm allen bolt from the bottom of each bumperette.

2) This is what is behind the bumperette:

3) The templates supplied by Will are simply post-it notes. I scanned copies of these into my computer in case I 'screwed' up. Attach the templates as shown. I secured them with tape and then drilled right through them.

4) Drill two 13/32 holes as shown on the templates. Start by drilling with 3/16, then 9/32 to make it easier. BTW, I had no idea there was such a thing as 13/32 but I assure you it exists. Do yourself a favor and buy a bit that's meant to drill through metal otherwise you'll be there forever.

5) Bolt on the receiver plate:

6) Make sure each side is level before tightening up the bolts:

7) Notch out part of the bumperette so that it fits around the receiver bracket and reattach the bumperettes.

8) The finished product shown on/off car.

9) Add a trailer and now your Boxster is a big rig towing machine!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Wiring for Utility Trailer

To wire the Boxster for use with my trailer, I used the excellent write up at http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/trailer/ to do the wiring for my trailer. You need to buy a 5 to 4 wire adapter as shown in my pics. This is a fairly easy DIY and involves removing some trim in the trunk and clipping into various tail light wires. I used Radioshack wire taps which worked perfectly.

Again, all the info you need is in the BombayDigital link. If you are here on RL, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

My pics are a bit clearer so here they are,……

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks! Great write-up
Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Those aluminum brackets (that the bumperettes & now hitch receivers bolt to) are attached to the main AL bumper beam with just a couple of rivets.

Didn't seem sturdy enough so I removed the entire beam from the car & welded the brackets in place - erring on the side of caution, I also had re-enforcing gussets welded in to partially 'box in' the brackets themselves..

I'd recommend anyone installing these type of hitches do the same - pulling the bumper cover off is straight forward & the beam comes off easily once exposed. Loosing a trailer on the road definitely falls into the 'not cool' category..
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nicely executed!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the "willwood" system with a bike rack on my Boxster.

It's a great product....
Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 PM
SAECO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a other option with the http://www.porscheandbike.com, they use the towing eye hook and the two blocks each side. You don't have to cut, drill or anything. only ten minutes for intallation and it's work very well

Old 08-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SAECO
There is a other option with the http://www.porscheandbike.com, they use the towing eye hook and the two blocks each side. You don't have to cut, drill or anything. only ten minutes for intallation and it's work very well

Your website is terrible. Red flag #1.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Towing - Will Wood Hitch & Utility Trailer