Sponsored by:

turbocharging a boxster s

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 AM
proboner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbocharging a boxster s

So I'm considering purchasing a early 2000's boxster S but I feel like I will need more power if i do so. I've searched on here a bit to find info but it seems to be sparse at best. I'm not too worried about a turbo kit, I'm fairly sure I can fabricate one myself, but I am worried about the power handling ability of the engine. I'm specifically looking for any experiences with FI on a Boxster S and to see if anyone has an idea how much power the engine can reliably make. From what I've read, it seems as though fuel tuning is the biggest problem regarding engine failures. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket EMS or piggyback system? thanks for any help
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a company in the greater DC area tht has turbocharged and superchartged boxsters.

I think the name of the company is TPC Racing

here it is...

http://www.tpcracing.us/

I've heard good things about them but have no direct knowledge
Old 08-01-2009, 04:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The June 09 issue of Excellence detailed a 986S turbo build using a kit from TurboKraft in Arizona. Power was a reported 300hp/304ft-lb at 4500rpm on 91 octane and a kit cost of $8000. Turbo is a Garret T3/T4 hybrid with a 6psi wastegate with an air-air IC and uses a stock MAF.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm curious as to how this is even possible, given how little room there is in a 986 engine compartment. It looks like there's room to replace the pre-cat on the exhaust with a turbo, but how is the air ducted, and where is the IC mounted?

Edit: found this site discussing bolt-on superchargers w/o IC. They claim a 35-40% hp increase, which would put the 3.2L in the 350hp range for about $6k. Of course, they're linking to a page on the TPC website that doesn't appear to exist anymore, nor does TPC have anything listed for Boxsters. hmmm...
http://www.neuralblog.com/_content/P...id-9_pn-1.html

What SCCA class would that move an otherwise stock Boxster S into?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM
proboner
Track Day

The obvious way to turbocharge, it would seem to me, is to just replace the muffler with the turbo. From the pictures I've seen, the stock muffler is huge, just remove it, fabricate a collector to feed the turbo, and run piping to the TB inlet. In many cases the turbo itself quiets the exhaust so much that you wouldnt necessarily even need a muffler. At low boost levels an intercooler is'nt necessary, but you could always just use water/meth injection to cool the intake charge. This should all be taken with a grain of salt however, considering I don't own a boxster nor have I actually seen the engine bay... just speculation
Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

If we replumb the intake (have to anyhow) and skip the IC, and actually, might not be too bad.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

why not just spend the extra money up front and get a 987S? Close to the power you're looking for, better interior, and no grenade

Quick Reply: turbocharging a boxster s