Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there supposed to be oil in there??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is there supposed to be oil in there??

i decided to take a look at the motor for the 1st time after owning the car for 4 months. It took me 30 min to figure this out and i will never forget it again.

When i got the access cover, or whatever it's called off, i found weeping oil around that tube area.
I do all of my own maintenance but this is my 1st porsche so don't laugh too hard at my descriptions.

there was an oil buildup around the hose clamps. When i removed the tubing, there is oil resting on the bottom. From the way it looks, there is a pcv type tube that feeds into these bigger ones.

Is it normal to have this in there? if yes, then i'll leave it alone. If no, what do i do to remedy the situation

before i messed with anything, i noticed that this hose that goes from the hydraulic reservoir was not attached to anything. Does it just lay there? I am in the process of checking now, so i may have it figured out later

Old 07-19-2009, 06:10 PM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is slightly moist in that area as well but not as much as yours. I have a small leak from the oil filler tube that runs from the trunk to the engine. It is cheap plastic and drips a small amount of oil onto the block when the car is parked...no noticeable change in oil level between oil changes. You might check that. I do not believe that hose is supposed to be laying there like that either. Do you know if the car has had the air oil separator (AOS) replaced? This is a common failure at the mileage you at and is kind of a pcv valve for the motor.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
dallison28
Pro

i don't think that the aos has ever been replaced.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there will alwasy be some oil in the tubes, the damp ness is typical on older. or driven cars. Nothing to worry about, less the car starts smoking or running poorly.
THe power steering over flow does just lay there .
Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
flintworks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very normal. A little oil in the intake is nothing to worry about. Also the hose coming off of the power steering reservoir is not supposed to be connected to anything. It is for overflow.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
dallison28
Pro

i just got a check engine light today. Either i didn't connect a hose up correctly or i have an emmission code. I'll have to wait til the wife gets home with my obd checker
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM
dallison28
Pro

1128 and 1130, i'll have to check the connections and clean off the maf.

There aren't any drivability issues.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
dallison28
Pro

i reset the codes, i'll have to drive it again to see if it throws them again.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 PM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by flintworks
This is very normal. A little oil in the intake is nothing to worry about. Also the hose coming off of the power steering reservoir is not supposed to be connected to anything. It is for overflow.
so i would assume i would use some sort of power steering fluid?

another question, does this piece just hang? i wasn't sure if it connected to anything.

and another gratuitous oil pic...

do you guys think i should replace the aos anyway as a precaution?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
dallison28
Pro

i cleaned everything out. The maf did not look dirty, and i made sure all connections were 100%

I filled up with 93 octane also. I don't know if the 91 or 92 octane caused the check engine light also.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
dallison28
Pro

still no check engine light. No more 91 or 92 octane for me. Hopefully the cel will stay away.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 AM
rdshon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The item you are holding in your gloved hand is the vacuum hose that several of the engine systems (secondary air injection and intake resonance tube valve) get their vacuum from to operate valves.

If your car is similar to my '01S, the nipple sticking out of the black and white disc should plug into an opening/fitting on the bottom of the forward-passenger-side rubber intake connector (there is probably a similar opening/fitting in the top of the forward-driver-side rubber intake connector, near the power steering dipstick, for reference, to see what you're looking for). These intake connectors are the parts of the intake manifold that have two hose clamps on them.

Make sure you haven't disconnected any other vacuum lines (small plastic tubes connected with skinny rubber hose fittings or T's), or you basically have a vacuum leak, and the two systems mentioned above won't work properly.

I'll let others comment, but the AOS is supposed to prevent excess oil from getting into the intake...
Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 AM
dallison28
Pro

meh, codes 1128 and 1130 are back. I'll have to check where that hose goes and see if they come back
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

you have an intake vacuum leak ...there is a hose off.. did this only start after you started taking things apart ?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison28
so i would assume i would use some sort of power steering fluid?

another question, does this piece just hang? i wasn't sure if it connected to anything.

and another gratuitous oil pic...

do you guys think i should replace the aos anyway as a precaution?
Holy crap garden glove man!!! Are you qualified to work on this car!!!

*Oil in and around the intake is normal as 99firehawk stated. Do not replace the AOS if the car is not smoking alot and or is pulling way to much vaccume on crankcase.

* Power steering fluid is called pentosin CHF 202, call the dealer!!

* Yes that check valve must be connected!!! As rdshon post spells out. Note this is a one way valve, easy way to not screw it up is "black on black"
the black end always connects to the intake witch is black!

*You must be carefull when installing the intake boots. They must be centered on the crossover pipes, they also must be on all the way around. Make sure the hose clamps are square and not all jacked up when you tighten them.

* Make damn sure you get the vacuume line connected on the tunning flap located in the back intake runner too.

* And get some rubber latex or nitrile gloves too!! Helps with that whole hand dexterity thing!! Kinda important when working on cars!

Good luck,

Last edited by porsche52; 08-20-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: is there supposed to be oil in there??