Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hay'lp! Want to buy a Boxter but know very little about them. What about this one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Hay'lp! Want to buy a Boxter but know very little about them. What about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...1%7C240%3A1318

I'm getting one for my SO. It's tiptronic, and will be a DD. It's close to me, so I can go see stuff. But I need some help in the Boxter specific items. I know there was an issue with main seals, but what else should I ask, look for in particular to the 2001 Boxter S cabrio?

I'll be doing my own wrenching, I'd like to keep it on the road with a minimum amount of fuss, driven by a wife in a non-spirited type of way.

Merci, de advance!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pictures are odd to me

the top, especially the window, looks to be in very good condition (window replaced perhaps?) but the center console looks like it's beaten to hell, it also has questionable (crappy) tires on it, this lead me to think the car wasn't taken car of well

no matter what have a PPI but simply judging by the pics I'd be weary of how the car was maintained judging by the pictures
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

That looks like a good price for an "S", and the Orient Red is a relatively rare color. The tiptronics are reliable and the car looks pretty clean from the photos, other than the center console that stumpjumper pointed out. The matt black "soft touch" painted plastic bits on the interiors tend to wear poorly, and scratch easily.

There is a large online Boxster community that can walk you through most maintenance and repair work, making an already DIY friendly car even easier to wrench on.

Here is a good Boxster Buyer's guide that covers lots of info.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/bu...97-2004boxster
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the link Aron. It was a real eye-opener. I didn't know the Boxster engine is a one time use deal. This prolly puts it out of the question for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docmirror
Thanks for the link Aron. It was a real eye-opener. I didn't know the Boxster engine is a one time use deal. This prolly puts it out of the question for me.
Mike Focke's info is great.

Also, Boxster engines (M96) pretty much do not wear out. For the unfortunate few, they fail. I wouldn't be so worried about one-time use engines. To have them rebuilt is about the same cost as a remanufactured/new one. Previous engines you could rebuild, but the rebuild cost is about the same as the newer "disposable" engines.

Quick Reply: Hay'lp! Want to buy a Boxter but know very little about them. What about this one?