Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really IMS failure?? Carnage pics and detail within!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Macster,

My understanding is Mobil 1 changed their formulation in the recent past leading to some issues. My local builder indicated to me they grenaded a few new engines using Mobil 1's new formulation and were able to trace the issue back to Mobil 1 and won't touch it as a result. My subsequent research indicated others having similar issues.

I won't pretend to be an expert because I am not, but I do listen to those I trust on the issue. For my 2004 Boxster S, I look for an oil at least an API SL, SH, or SJ rating and an HTHS viscosity of at least 4.5. So I run Castrol full synthetic 5w-40 (which is on Porsche's approved list and is easily obtained locally) or Redline 5w-40 (which isn't on Porsche's list and has to be ordered). For my Spec Miata track car I run Brad Penn 10w-30 which I like a lot and I order from LN Engineering.

As for why all the secrecy? I don't want to speak for Jake, but I've read lengthy, lengthy, lengthy discussions on Rennlist and the Pelican forums on the Mobil 1 issue that IIRC Jake participated in. I suspect he, and others that participated heavily in those threads don't want to open that can of worms again. As for me, I don't have the technical background to debate the issue with others so I won't. Basically I can tell you what I use based on information from those who know a lot more than me that I trust....that's about it.

Mike
I can read between the lines....going to give Castrol a shot. Had my oil changed back in July, time for a transfusion.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:17 PM
mb230sl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I think I might be dealing with the same issue.

03/04 3 chain engine

What colour plastic are the ims chain guides? Black like the fixed cam chain guide, or white/yellow like the tensioner rail?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake, Thank you for the reports. I find them very interesting. My mechanic out here does not use Mobil 1 for his changes. I will leave it at that.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 AM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, thanks Jake. I can recommend Castrol Edge 5w-40. No-one can sue me (I hope). It quietened down my engine (2008 M97 3.4 with 60000 miles) immediately and I sleep better at night.

Now if only I could stop the throw-out bearing chirp, I'd be a happy man.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Jakester1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I'm new to Porsche, having just bought a 2002 Boxster. I always believed that Porsche was a HI Quality, top of the line car! Was my view of the quality misunderstood, just a myth? I hope not!!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:50 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Total/Elf 5w40 full synthetic here vs Mobil1 or Castrol(after the M vs C lawsuit in '99).

Quick Reply: Is it really IMS failure?? Carnage pics and detail within!