Sponsored by:

How much for a 60K service

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for a 60K service

What can I expect to pay for a 60K service at a dealer or independent Porsche shop?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 AM
trimblej
Track Day

I recently paid $940 at a dealer, but the average dealer price her in Michigan (detroit area) is $1040. The price I got quoted at an info was $8??, but didn't include brake fluid ( another $75).
Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Thanks Trimblej!
It is my understanding that the 60K includes spark plugs and related tune up items, is that correct?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
trimblej
Track Day

That included the following plus checking the car out:
oil change
air filter and pollen? filter
fuel filter
poly belt
spark plugs
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Herb Chambers in Boston advertises $1,529.

Minor Mtce $690.
Plus belt 390.
plugs 449.

I'm only at 37K, but I'd go DYI or independent.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 PM
racer
Drifting

You could call your local Dealers to get a quote to compare to no? I would figure $1200-1500 at a dealer and maybe $800-1200 and an independant. Some prices are region dependent. A dealer in NYC has a higher rate than, perhaps, outside Billings, Mont.

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I have known several boxster owners whose waterpump pulleys fail around this time/mileage. I wonder if its related to the increased tension of a new belt on the old pulley vs the old "worn" belt.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you guys really need to DIY some stuff. all those parts are less than 200 bucks. you can have it done in a few hours.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Plumbercjs
1st Gear

how difficult is it to get to the serp. belt on and off and the spark plugs no special tool s i am willing to do this myself.Anyone done most of the 60k service themselves on a Boxster?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumbercjs
how difficult is it to get to the serp. belt on and off and the spark plugs no special tool s i am willing to do this myself.Anyone done most of the 60k service themselves on a Boxster?
Alot of owners have done the 60K service.

Belt R&R is not difficult at all. A Bentley manual can provide you with the steps or if you prefer there are several DIY writeups on this. Check Mike Focke's Boxster pages or look at Pedro's Garage web site for these.

Ditto spark plugs. However, I've never changed the ones in my cars. I've always had this done at the dealer. I have no place to work on my cars. About all I can do is an oil/filter change and engine and cabin air filters.

Unless it has been done in the last 2 years, the car's brake and clutch (if manual) hydraulic fluild systems want to be properly flushed and bled. This is also a DIY with an assistant or a pressure bleeder. You still need a DIY doc or the Bentley manual.

My 02 doesn't have a servicable fuel filter -- it is part of the fuel pump (which lasted over 200K miles). A fuel filter can be a bit of a risk cause of the danger of fuel spillage and possibly fire. Were my car needing a fuel filter change I'd have this done at the dealer.

When you replace the belt check its condition. If it has a sharp edge it is rubbing a pulley side and this suggests an accessory drive pulley/shaft has beearing play which is a sign of trouble brewing. My car's water pump was the cause of belt's sharp (inner) edge. (Water pump lasted over 170K miles.)

Check the idler roller and tensioner roller bearings for excessive play. I have new ones to install but after 237K miles the original ones are still just fine.

Be sure the front and rear water drains are clear. You might want to consider removing the front bumper cover and cleaning the trash out of the A/C condensors and radiators.

At 60K I'd consider a coolant drain and refill with fresh anti-freeze and distilled water along with a transmission/diff fluid change. You don't have to do this all at the same time. Spread them out by several months, but you should consider having them done. Or if you're a real DIY'er doing them yourself.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: How much for a 60K service