Sponsored by:

oil help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
flipper
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil help needed

Hello all, I changed my oil for the first time since I bought it and I put 5w 30 mobile 1 in. Is that the wrong weight? will it be fine till the next change?
I live in Missouri and the motor has 85000 miles
oh, and its a 99 2.5
Thanks all,
Shawn

Last edited by flipper; 10-17-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-17-2008, 02:49 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In the latest edition of Panorama, the PCA club magazine, there is an article on the latest Porsche approves motor oils.
I don't remember if 5W-30 was listed or not. The factory fill is 0W-40 M1.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default My recollection is Porsche doesn't consider fuel economy oils....

Originally Posted by flipper
Hello all, I changed my oil for the first time since I bought it and I put 5w 30 mobile 1 in. Is that the wrong weight? will it be fine till the next change?
I live in Missouri and the motor has 85000 miles
oh, and its a 99 2.5
Thanks all,
Shawn
like multigrade oils like 5w-30 (or 'worse') suitable for use in the Boxster.

While the 5w part ain't bad for Missouri (where? I lived in Oak Grove (east of KC Mo) for a couple of years a couple of years ago) in winter time the 30 of the 5w-30 is a bit thin for the higher engine temps the engine can experience, even in colder climes.

My advice, as much as you might not like to hear it, would be to go buy 8 or 9 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 oil and drain the oil out of the engine (no need to change the filter) and replace the oil with the proper quantity of 0w-40 oil.

Just to be safe...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Best combination would be a 50/50 mix of Mobile 1 0-40 And Mobile 1 MX4T 10-40 if you have converters. You will get the right flow and best wear package.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Best combination would be a 50/50 mix of Mobile 1 0-40 And Mobile 1 MX4T 10-40 if you have converters. You will get the right flow and best wear package.
'sup with using motorcycle oil and what "converters" are you referring to?
Cheers
Randy
Old 10-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Since your car is a stock daily driver I am sure you have catalytic converters. There fore you are some what restricted in higher levels of anti wear additives offered in motorcycle oil. The blend as mentioned above is one solution to the problem. If you do not have converters then by all means go to the Mobile 1 10-40 4T oil. I personally believe a 5-30 to light on the high end for a porsche engine. At least use the 0-40 and add some GM EOS additive.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
flipper
AutoX

Thanks all, I appreciate the help
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Motorcycle oil not necessary. In fact, courier riders in UK...

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
don't use motorcycle oils in their motorcycles, but the "cheaper" auto oils and get hundreds of thousands of miles from their motorcycles. And the end of life is not usually engine wear, but a head gasket failure or accident.

To the original poster with the 5W-30 oil, just drain the oil and refill -- not too full -- with Mobil 1 0w-40 oil.

No supplement necessary -- though I note at my local Porsche dealership parts counter when I've been there "oil change" and "tune up" packages set out for the techs contain Swepco oil additive for the engine oil and a Swepco gas additive for the gas ( make of this what you want... "padding" the bill with additives or something truely beneficial...).

Mobil 1 0w-40 with reasonable change intervals should suffice. I note my '02 Boxster seems to have done alright with this stuff, changed every 5000 miles (along with filter). Just rolled over 204,000 miles on the original engine.

Oh, and one converter (driver's side) "worn" out but probably not from any ZDDP or some such. I think 200,000 miles from a converter that is only warrantied for IIRC 80,000 miles (best case in CA, fewer miles in other states) is reasonable.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 PM
flipper
AutoX

Swapped it out with 0-40 tonight. I feel better just knowing its correct. I also took out the K&N and put an OEM air filter back in.
200k is great, I cant wait till I have that many boxster mile sunder my belt.
Oh, I live in Springfield mo. I drive to K.C often.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

If you change your oil at 5K you are essentially doing the same thing, replacing the wear package. No doubt that is a great maintenance schedule. In some ways even better than higher levels of Zn/P/B for the average driver. The Mobile 1 0-40 is a great oil and meet even higher ACEA A3/B3 standards. This is a fairly complex subject with many many variable from both the driver aspect and oil composition. You will be just fine with regular M1 0-40 changes. If you want to really get it dialed in consider doing an oil analysis with you oil change with a reputable company like Black Stone or some one you trust. It will also give you valuable insight to pending problems before they become big problem and a realistic maintenance schedule.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Shopped Boxsters at the Springfield MO Porsche dealer. Was unable....

Originally Posted by flipper
Swapped it out with 0-40 tonight. I feel better just knowing its correct. I also took out the K&N and put an OEM air filter back in.
200k is great, I cant wait till I have that many boxster mile sunder my belt.
Oh, I live in Springfield mo. I drive to K.C often.
to come together on price. (Also shopped and tried to buy at Porsche dealership in Dallas/Ft Worth. Stopped at Porsche dealership in Plano (?) but didn't get down to negotiations.)

Ended up buying at Aristocrat Motors in Merriam KS.

I've never use an aftermarket filter on my Boxster. I have posted a picture on another board (PPBB) that shows my engine's air filter with the foam layer just covered with trash. The Boxster engine air intake is at a particularly dirty location and that foam cover helps the filter do a better job.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
flipper - You did the right thing. M1 0W-40 is an excellent and very robust lubricant and is well respected in the inner circles at Porsche AG - such as the Technicians working in the Museum

Porsche has not Approved a SAE30 lubricant (such as 10W-30) (exception Cayenne VW V6) since around MY1999

A non Porsche Approved alternative is M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 - for those that want a slighty more viscous lubricant. I use its Commercial cousin - Delvac 1 5W-40 - in my Boxster and also in previous 928's - and my Class 8 trucks, for many years

Oh, do not be tempted to add any supplemetary additives to any modern Approved lubricant. There is a real risk of "over dosing" with some chemicals and a risk of additive clash and a dimunition of engine protection
Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Doug Two questions
A) are you recommending Non Porsche approved Diesel Oils in petrol engined Boxters ?
as you well know these do not meet the ACEA -A3/ B3 rating , in fact the Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is not even meet a "B " rating , its "C" only , have a look its on the Mobil website , same with the Delvac .

B) what happens if someone takes your advice and there is a problem under warranty or extended warranty with say the cat converters , or anything else for that matter (this is the reason for the stricter A3/B3 and other ratings as you well know) who is going to pick up the bill ? Porsche ? , Mobil ?., you ?. Well it will not be the first two because its not approved at all . you are not doing Porsche or Mobile any favours at all ,because both do not recommend the diesel oils that do not meet the ACEA A3/B3 for water cooled flat six Porsche's with high levels of detergent and ZDDP , but then you already know that I think ?????????

Regards .BB.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Doug Two questions
A) are you recommending Non Porsche approved Diesel Oils in petrol engined Boxters ?
as you well know these do not meet the ACEA -A3/ B3 rating , in fact the Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is not even meet a "B " rating , its "C" only , have a look its on the Mobil website , same with the Delvac .

B) what happens if someone takes your advice and there is a problem under warranty or extended warranty with say the cat converters , or anything else for that matter (this is the reason for the stricter A3/B3 and other ratings as you well know) who is going to pick up the bill ? Porsche ? , Mobil ?., you ?. Well it will not be the first two because its not approved at all . you are not doing Porsche or Mobile any favours at all ,because both do not recommend the diesel oils that do not meet the ACEA A3/B3 for water cooled flat six Porsche's with high levels of detergent and ZDDP , but then you already know that I think ?????????

Regards .BB.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
In response to JET951's Post I shall not be replying to it but for those interested this explains why;

http://928.landsharkoz.com/Forums/ta...c/Default.aspx

Please note that my Boxster is on Porsche AGs extended warranty - as it has been since new!

Last edited by Doug Hillary; 11-09-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: oil help needed