Sponsored by:

Windows stuck down

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
blilley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows stuck down

I know this has been covered before, I just can't find it.

My windows are stuck all the way down and won't come up. My fuse is good but when I press the button I get no response. Any ideas where I could check to look or is it a reset issue? I have unhooked the battery for 30 seconds.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what year is your car? it's possible that the microswitch in the dome light that tells the car the top is latched has malfunctioned.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
blilley
Intermediate

It is a 98, that would make sense. My dome light is loose on one side.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:32 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually, if it were a 98, the windows would be stuck part way down instead of all the way down. i think you have another problem. relay maybe?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
blilley
Intermediate

Insite you were correct the first time, I made an adjustment and re-latched the top and they came up.

Thank you,
blilley
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Pardon the resurrection of this thread. We just added a '98 Boxster to the family and have experienced our first problem. This thread is the only one I could find that touched on it, and I'm just asking for a little specificity.

With the top up and latched, the windows will not go completely up. They remain open a good 2 to 3 inches. When I unlatched and lowered the 'vert top completely, I was able to close the windows. With the top back up and latched, the windows won't close.

I'm guessing the car thinks the top isn't completely closed, and I guess this is what this thread suggests. My question is what precisely should I do to fix the latch and "reassure" the car that the top is secure?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM
mcmike27
8th Gear

Default Common issue with the 98 986 tops

We have a 98 986 and it goes 'stupid' from time to time as well. The real root cause is either 2 things.

1. The micro switch under the center top 'bump' where the 'J' latch rests. Right under that plastic piece is a spring that tells the microswitch that the top is latched. I unlatch the roof let the windows drop and actuate it a few times with my finger then I very deliberatley make sure it's latched all the way up and press on the lock ring to seat it.

2. The spring in the locking 'J' latch that applies pressure to seat the 'J' latch into the 'bump' gets old over time. Porsche will want to replace the whole assembly not a good option very very expensive. We found a local indie that has had enough of them apart and has found a replacement spring that he replaces and it's a $15.00 fix that works perfectly.

Until ours was fixed here's what I do when it goes 'stupid'.

Unlatch the top let the windows travel all the way down. Relatch the top. Hold one window switch in the down position (hold until it's all the way down and count to 5 or 6 slowly). You'll hear the window reset in the 'down' position. Now hold the button until the window goes all the way up and count again to 5 or 6 you'll hear the same noise. Do the ssame thing for the other window and that will reset them so they work with the 1 touch up and down feature and the normal manual select.

This can also be found in your owners manual.

It's a pain but it works until you either get the microswitch fixed under the bump or get a new spring on the latching piece.

Good luck... it's fun to do this when you are putting the top up in a hurry when you get caught in the rain and need the top and the windows up ASAP...LOL

m2
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Windows stuck down