Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing decisions????

Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric,

Thanks for the input. Your situation sounds much like mine. She wants a vert and I always want another Porsche. I will likely do most of the maintenance myself. My biggest question/solicitation for opinions was on price vs. mileage. This is a price sensitive decision because it is a fun 3rd car that we plan on using. Pristine condition is not necessary because I plan on putting snows on it and relieve my Cayman S of some of the winter duties. I have no issues with the plastic window and am specifically looking at 00-02 because of the pricing. I like to hear about people buying in the 50k mileage range.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian if you want to drive it in winter in Indiana, I heartily recommend trying to find one with a hard top. It makes the car much nicer in the cold. Plus saves a lot of wear and tear on the soft top from the ice and such, not to mention the defroster in the rear window. Easy removal/install with just your wife, and you can carry it yourself as it is pretty light.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm also looking at Box S prices... seems to be dropping...

FWIW: 01 S just went for $16,500 (seemed cheap? or is this todays market value???)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280264132423

seems they lump boxter and boxter s together? useless? and old sales data is used?

http://www.pricehub.com/price/Porsche/Boxster

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 09-16-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think prices are coming down. I don't think winning bid price is that far off given the mileage of the car, but the winner is a brand new ebay user, registered in Sept. 2008. Obviously that doesn't mean it isn't a legit win, but I would not be surprised to see this car relisted.

I talked with a friend that is in the biz of buying and selling exotic to semi-exotic cars and has lots of experience with Porsche. He says the market is very soft to almost non-existence on some vehicles. The Boxster is very soft especially the 987 versions. However, as the prices hit the mid-high teens they start to move. He indicated in this market, options and color combo are making a big difference in the quickness, or lack thereof, of the sales (not price though).
Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 PM
ppbskis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Boxster lover I would like to add the following. It appears that prices are based on location location location. And all logic seems to go out the window, wouldn't you think that a sunny clime would bring more value? Not in this case. Ive seen more cheap cars on craigslist in LA and So. Fla than most other places. If I was buying a boxster today I would only buy one from a seller who's lifestyle I could make some character judgements from. When you pull up to the house you can most times sense the lay of the land. Do the other cars in the driveway look cared for as well as the property? Or does it look like he sells cars on the side? Is the owner a Porsche nut like most of us and is he looking at you like your going to date his daughter when you approach the car? Is it garaged? Do you have service records? I am amazed that I never hear anyone tell of the extensive service records when buying these cars. I scan all of mine and keep them in a folder in my computer besides the old fashioned paper file I have. That alone tells the story. Every little quirk I have bought my car in for service is listed on the service req. and the required repairs made to correct. I would want to see several brake fluid flushes and the stamps, I have to twist my service writers arm to put them in the book so what does that say about my fanaticism to the car. I also would only buy it from a Porsche dealer, not some typical lot that goes to Manhiem and picks up a nice looking but mechanically questionably piece. All that said I paid 33k for my car on 5/05 with 25K miles CPO. I now have 70, 000 miles and feel that with the current level of service I have had performed from a new clutch and flywheel to the 60k service that it is worth about 17 to 18 k. I know that anyone buying one will tell you that it's only worth 15 or less but you won't get my car for that. And a week or month later when you add up the clutch that slips and fails, or the brake flush for $ 200 or $ 400 that is required if you want to gaurantee you can stop, and the serpentine belt replacent, etc. add that to your "cheap" car and you are where you should have been in the first place.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any input on how a 50k mile Boxster will hold up as a daily driver, say 60 hwy miles a day?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

My 02S with 53K miles has been rock solid for the 3 years I've owned it. RMS replaced at about 20K when under warrantee, upper shock strut bushings replaced at 30K because of squeaks. No other issues besides replacing brake pads at 50K miles - and after 6 track days. Used as a daily driver, road trips to include FL from VA and to Parade 2008 in Charlotte. The car does everything well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing decisions????